Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really confused on Teleconverter for Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM

I bought a 2x sigma teleconverter for my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM. At first I though it was because my camera was only a K200D that the auto-focus did not transfer through. After perusing through the board here it looks like it is just plainly the 2x Sigma doesn't work fully in that fashion.

So what should I go with for something gives me a little more magnification? Stick with Sigma and drop down to a 1.4x or find a Pentax branded teleconverter.

I saw the other post regarding this similar issue but I'm further confused by the suggestion of adding another brand into the mix (Tamron or Kenko.) I thought it was best to keep the path of least resistance by staying within the same manufacturer. Obviously this not completely right, or my Sigma 2x would be ok.

I have a Tamron wide angle that I love, but I never thought to mixing in a Pentax body with a Tamron TC and adding a Sigma lens. Is this just old film days thinking?

03-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

There's a Tamron 1.4x converter and a Kenko 1.5x that supposedly work. Don't know of any 2x, though there may be.

I may also be wrong here, so check thoroughly but the Tamron is called the Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 TC. The Kenko the Kenko 1.5x Pz-AF Teleplus SHQ TC.

Also these aren't available new.

Remember though - check before you buy.
03-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

No one has made a new teleconverter design for Pentaxes since SDM came out. As a result, SDM-only lenses won't autofocus with a teleconverter, with a few rare exceptions:

Long ago, Pentax had a "power zoom" system. It was such a failure and so little equipment used it that Pentax fully recycled the PZ contacts to support SDM. So the rare TCs that supported PZ also support SDM. I bought one of the 1.4x Tamron ones when it was still available new, I am EXTREMELY glad I did!
03-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
So the rare TCs that supported PZ also support SDM. I bought one of the 1.4x Tamron ones when it was still available new, I am EXTREMELY glad I did!
May I ask what Pentax SDM lenses you use with the Tamron 1.4X, and whether the lenses work with the Tamron for the full range of focal length.

I have a Tamron 1.4X TC having contacts for PZ. In fact, I had two and just sold one a few weeks ago.

I tried the Tamron TC with my DA 50-135mm and DA 60-250mm. SDM autofocus seems to work at the short end (50 to about 100, and 60 to about 200), but at the long end, the lenses keep hunting back and forth, and only lock in focus when I remove pressure off the shutter release and then half-press again. I can't really call that "working."

03-16-2010, 02:34 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by YossarianKL Quote
I bought a 2x sigma teleconverter for my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM. At first I though it was because my camera was only a K200D that the auto-focus did not transfer through. After perusing through the board here it looks like it is just plainly the 2x Sigma doesn't work fully in that fashion.

So what should I go with for something gives me a little more magnification? Stick with Sigma and drop down to a 1.4x or find a Pentax branded teleconverter.
Unfortunately, neither the Sigma 1.4x or 2x converters will AF with your Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM. These only work with the non-HSM versions of this lens.
03-21-2010, 04:35 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Re: Really confused on Teleconverter for Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM

QuoteOriginally posted by photogerald:

Unfortunately, neither the Sigma 1.4x or 2x converters will AF with your Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM. These only work with the non-HSM versions of this lens.

Yes I know this.

My question still is there a teleconveter that does work?

Why would mixing in a third party other than sigma or pentax work?

I'm looking to solve this equation
Pentax K200d + ( some teleconverter ) + Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM = success!
03-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
There's a Tamron 1.4x converter and a Kenko 1.5x that supposedly work. Don't know of any 2x, though there may be.

I may also be wrong here, so check thoroughly but the Tamron is called the Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 TC. The Kenko the Kenko 1.5x Pz-AF Teleplus SHQ TC.

Also these aren't available new.

Remember though - check before you buy.
They work as they have the right contacts and the Sigma doesn't.