Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Tripod horizontal capability, e.g Manfrotto 190xPro

Advice needed on what others had done to reach out horizontally from a tripod location.

I have the Manfrotto 190cx3 and love it a lot. But its a bit short for my 5'10" frame and always wondered how the quick 90 deg head of the 055xPro and 190xPro work out in practice. Do those that have them make use of that horizontal capability, or is the reach not that much to help?

I think the reason that the horizontal bars on the Manfrotto tripod are so short is that the horizontal nature of the bar can make the tripod unstable and liable to turn over. But i routinely use a weight hanging from my tripod to hold it down solid and sometimes the horizontal reach, might give me an interesting picture.

At times i wonder whether just getting a horizontal round wood bar, like the kind used in a lot of closets, might work better for getting my camera off the edge of bridge to take pictures, etc. I have a remote shutter cable that would be easy to actuate the shutter 3 feet away, all i need is the 1/4" stud or L bracket to hang my camera from.
(i know this is sounding a bit risky for the camera, maybe i'll keep my backup around for awhile :-)) Any ideas along this line are also welcome.

Best wishes,

03-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have a Giottos instead of a Manfrotto, but the concept is the same. I've used it to put the camera over a handrail and take shots like this:

which I couldn't have gotten otherwise. Well, short of climbing the rail and standing in the stream.

My center column is over a foot long and without hanging weight on the other end it will tip over (never has fortunately) depending on the leg spread.

Using a pole is a fairly well established photography technique, but normally to raise the camera position higher, not horizontally. It might be hard to keep the camera from rotating around the pole. Wouldn't be hard to make a double pole out of heavy wall PCV pipe if it only needs to be 3 feet or so long. Whatever you do I'd advise putting a tether on the camera. Be a real shame to drop the whole shebang into the drink or onto a roadway.
03-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
I have a Giottos instead of a Manfrotto, but the concept is the same. I've used it to put the camera over a handrail and take shots like this:

which I couldn't have gotten otherwise. Well, short of climbing the rail and standing in the stream.

My center column is over a foot long and without hanging weight on the other end it will tip over (never has fortunately) depending on the leg spread.

Using a pole is a fairly well established photography technique, but normally to raise the camera position higher, not horizontally. It might be hard to keep the camera from rotating around the pole. Wouldn't be hard to make a double pole out of heavy wall PCV pipe if it only needs to be 3 feet or so long. Whatever you do I'd advise putting a tether on the camera. Be a real shame to drop the whole shebang into the drink or onto a roadway.
bimjo,
Wow, a very lovely shot that has a lot more drama due to that pool below the bridge or walkway. thanks for the info on the Giottos, i'll check it out.

I checked the dimensions on the 055xprob, and it looks like the maximum vertical adjustment is 14" so i assume that the horizontal bar length is that or less. That coincides approximately with your dimension. That really isn't much but its better than nothing. I've sometimes walked into woods taking pictures of trees, and a smallish tripod like mine that has 48" height without the extension, can get swallowed up pretty easily on a slope, etc.

thanks for the info!
03-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
D W
Veteran Member

Don't limit yourself to tripods if there are extreme location demands for camera mounting. Check out Manfrotto's web site for other hardwares for mounting cameras, lights and extreme positions and locations.

03-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
I have a Giottos instead of a Manfrotto, but the concept is the same. I've used it to put the camera over a handrail and take shots like this...
Here is my Giottos over the handrail shot...

Due to shooting restrictions at the Japanese Garden in Portland, it is often very difficult to get a good angle and the articulated column comes in very handy. I also use it for low level closeup and macro work in the field.

Note that the Manfrotto models are limited to a straight horizontal whereas the Giottos has a full range of motion and can even position the camera between the legs.

Steve
03-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just grabbed my 055xProB/322 combo and a tape measure. The horizontal column on the 055xProB measures 18" from the center of the tripod to the head attachment plate when horizontal. Add in another 3-10" for the head, and you are in the ballpark of 2ft (my combo gives me 27" to the bottom of the camera). Yes, it is less stable, but you can compensate by using varying leg angles and lengths. The Giottos does seem to be a bit more agile, but the Manfrotto isn't exactly a slouch.
03-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jodo,
Thanks for the dimensions, 27" is an impressive amount to go out horizontal.
Stevebrot,
thanks for the photo of the Giottos, makes it all so clear on how it works.
one of those tripods is definitely going to be in my future. Right now i'm leaning towards the Giottos because of the flexibility of that arm, but they are both industry leading IMO. Giottos also has spear points incorporated into the feet, with Manfrotto, about $35 extra for a set.
Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use a setup like this. It's dead solid, rigid and stable and very versatile in how you set it up. The use of a cranked column is particularly useful for macro work. It's made out of bits and pieces from the Manfrotto catalog.

But it's not for everyone. Heavy. I use it for shots for the University arboretum where they want dead sharp shots with a deep FOV and don't allow you to disturb the plant beds. So I have to shot at slow F stops. Might be a chore lugging it around in the brush though.

Next to a 055xPro

Last edited by wildman; 03-16-2010 at 09:49 PM.
03-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
I use a setup like this. It's dead solid, rigid and stable and very versatile in how you set it up. The use of a cranked column is particularly useful for macro work. It's made out of bits and pieces from the Manfrotto catalog.

But it's not for everyone. Heavy. I use it for shots for the University arboretum where they want dead sharp shots with a deep FOV and don't allow you to disturb the plant beds. So I have to shot at slow F stops. Might be a chore lugging it around in the brush though.

Next to a 055xPro
Wildman,
thanks for the info. i did some checking on the Manfrotto site, and as wildman has said they have this horizontal bar called a side arm, 131D or 131DB(for black), that will attach to the 3/8" post of my existing Manfrotto tripod (or anyone's tripod with a 3/8" thread).

BH wants $79 for this lateral side arm : Manfrotto | 131D Lateral Side Arm for Tripods (Black) | 131DB

This side arm is not light, 2.6 lbs which doubles the weight of my existing tripod. It says it will accomodate 2 cameras mounted at the same time - not what i need of course, but one could attach a counter weight to the second mounting plate or a flash if one was working inside.

Manfrotto is obviously a professional oriented photo supply manufacturer, which is great, the accessories are available through BH Photo, but they aren't cheap.

Looks like to me that wildman has mounted the side arm off another tripod head or bracket from Manfrotto, to achieve what Giottos has done with a much simpler tripod assembly. I don't doubt that Manfrotto is busy as we write to come up with a competitive reply :-)

Anway, now i'm faced with the decision of whether to invest more into my existing tripod or buy into the Giottos tripod and have a more portable solution. Nice to have options though.
03-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

Anway, now i'm faced with the decision of whether to invest more into my existing tripod or buy into the Giottos tripod and have a more portable solution. Nice to have options though.
How about that:

Envoy UNI-LOC - Tripods, DuoPods, Monopods, and Accessories (click on the right hand side "tripod" entry in the list - it is not obvious, that this is a link...)

or

Benbo Camera Tripods from Paterson Photographic

Benbo and Uniloc are the incoporation of versatility. I myself am using the Uniloc Majpor 2300 and you can position your camera basically whereever you want, provided you add a counterweight (camera bag) to keep the balance in extreme positions.

Ben
03-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ben,
Thanks for the Uni and Benbo links, some new thinking on tripods and a range of sizes not often seen.
03-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hi Phil,

Like Ben, I like the Uni Loc/Benbo "bent bolt" design for versatility of positioning, and have a Uni Loc System 1700 and the first model Benbo Trekker. The UL has considerably better build quality, but is very hard to find, and pretty expensive. I bought both of these used at very good prices (less than 1/2 of retail) because neither is very well known, and most people seem to be wary of the seemingly odd-ball design. There is just no other leg system that is even close to as versatile for leg or camera positioning. The legs can be positioned at just about any angle, both in relation to the ground, and to each other -- something I don't think any other leg system offers.

Scott
04-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just an update,

I owed my brother big time for a table he built for me and bought him one of these Giottos 8360, i think the model is, from BH. 3 legs for me, aluminum, with the multipositioning center post. He likes it, i like it and so ordered another for myself a few days ago. about $179.

only con is weight, but i figure that helps to keep it steady. with the side arm fully vertical, its taller than my Manfrotto 190 and seems much firmer at the very longest neck extension. I think the tripod neck connection is much more solid in the Giottos than in the manfrotto 190x3. To be fair, the 190 is a lighter model than the Manfrotto 055 which i can't compare it to, but theGiottos has a lot to like. I still like the Manfrotto lever leg snaps, but the screw leg ferrules on the Giottos are fairly rapid anyway. Also the rubber ball feet pop off and beneath them are long spiked which are really great for soils and wet slippery wood.

thanks to Stevebrot and others for all the advice and pics.