Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

SUNPACK 622 PRO

I have the Sunpack 622 pro, good stuff indeed, and the EXT-11 cable on the PT-2D hot-shoe. Can this combination be used on the K20d' automatic flash exposure system without harm?

Philippe

03-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm, well, I don't know if you get much out of using the fancy dedicated shoe, since the K20d uses a newer system than old Pentax P-TTL: I would test the voltage anyway (I think it's new enough to be safe either way, but I'd test, ) but I think you should be able to use the plain old fashioned PC socket on the side of your K20d, save some bulk and weight, and be all the safer. I don't think the hot shoe connector gives you any particular benefits over the regular old sync, without a P-TTL flash, but I may be wrong.

It's probably safe, though, if you had to guess on just my say-so. May as well test and be sure, though.
03-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to Botzilla, it's probably safe on the hotshoe.

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

You aren't going to be able to use TTL mode on the flash, and the flash doesn't do P-TTL.

Manual will work fine, and Auto mode won't be a problem because the sensor is built into the front of the flash (unlike some models).
03-16-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, what I wanted was to have the 622 work on a K20d almost like the AF 540FGZ, at least have a TTL metering/steering just like on the LX. It’s a pity to condemn a good working unit to sit on shelve for ever more…
Particularly that the 622 can be transformed in to a bear bulb!

03-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
Actually, what I wanted was to have the 622 work on a K20d almost like the AF 540FGZ, at least have a TTL metering/steering just like on the LX.
Nope no TTL on the K10D, K20D, K7, Kx. They've gone to the preflash p-TTL thingy...
03-16-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
Actually, what I wanted was to have the 622 work on a K20d almost like the AF 540FGZ, at least have a TTL metering/steering just like on the LX. It’s a pity to condemn a good working unit to sit on shelve for ever more…
Particularly that the 622 can be transformed in to a bear bulb!
No way. Only the istD/istDS/istDS" Pentax DSLRs supported the old TTL flash control. And the PT-2D adapter does not support the current P-TTL technology. But you can still use the hot shoe to connect the flash to the camera and may be (I haven't tried that) get at least the flash-ready signal in the viewfinder. At least some older TTL-flashes work like that. Maybe it can even set the X-sync shutter speed on camera? (Metz flash can do that, even if from pre-P-TTL days.)

Ben