Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2007, 05:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
to tripod or not to tripod

OK, I bought the K10D, got the kit lenses, battery pack and 4 gigs of memory.

I accompanied my camera to France, Germany and India. Got some awesome shots if I do say so myself. Flickr: Photos from tjhallett1

Now its time for a tripod. This community was helpful in my decision to get the K10D so I thought I would try again.

Here's what I want in a tripod. It must be sturdy enough to hold the K10D, the biggest lens I could ever see myself buying and the largest on camera flash without moving a micrometer. It has to be taller than me at full extension (I am just about 6 ft). It has to reverse itself and be able to get the same rig close to the ground without trouble. The head has to be easy to use without contorting my hands. And or course it has to look cool without breaking the bank. The original purchase did just about break me.

What I have found is the SLIK Pro 700 DX. It seems to fit the bill but I need to know if anyone has any experience with it

It can come with any head and this is where I am lost. Will any head from any manufacturer fit on a SLIK tripod? I was thinking of the AF 2100 Pistol Grip ball head instead of the Pro 700DX Pan Head. I have used the pan head type before. Is there any advantage of a Ball Head over a Pan Head or a Pistol Grip?

As always any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

07-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by THAN THE SWORD Quote

Here's what I want in a tripod. It must be sturdy enough to hold the K10D, the biggest lens I could ever see myself buying and the largest on camera flash without moving a micrometer. It has to be taller than me at full extension (I am just about 6 ft). It has to reverse itself and be able to get the same rig close to the ground without trouble. The head has to be easy to use without contorting my hands. And or course it has to look cool without breaking the bank. The original purchase did just about break me.

What I have found is the SLIK Pro 700 DX. It seems to fit the bill but I need to know if anyone has any experience with it

It can come with any head and this is where I am lost. Will any head from any manufacturer fit on a SLIK tripod? I was thinking of the AF 2100 Pistol Grip ball head instead of the Pro 700DX Pan Head. I have used the pan head type before. Is there any advantage of a Ball Head over a Pan Head or a Pistol Grip?
You have to carry the tripod, so weight is the other primary factor to balance against height and sturdiness. Carbon fiber tripods can offer the stability of aluminum with less weight, but they are also significantly more expensive. Manfrotto makes a variety of models. Gitzo makes a nice tripod, but they tend to be very expensive. The better Slik models are pretty decent for the price: I have both a compact Slik tripod and a bigger Manfrotto tripod (both aluminum) and they both work fine. As a general rule, you get what you pay for with tripods.

Ball heads allow you to position your camera more more quickly and conveniently than pan and tilt heads. The only real advantage of pan heads (other than low cost) is for panning a video camera. Good ball heads allow you to quickly position the camera, and they will not shift or creep once set. Better ball heads also have a separate panning feature. Cheap ball heads move slightly when the knob is tightened, and that can be very frustrating. For high precision adjustment, geared heads are superior to ball heads, but they tend to be slower to use as well as heavier and bulkier.

If the Slik tripod you want has the standard 3/8" thread, then you can mount pretty much any head on it. There are lots of ball heads to consider. As with the tripods, you get what you pay for. Manfrotto makes some decent ball heads that are a good value. If you want something better, consider brands like Kirk, Really Right Stuff, and Acratech.

I use a Manfrotto medium ball head on the Manfrotto tripod for general use, and a Manfrotto geared head for macro and telescope use. The Slik travel tripod has a smaller Manfrotto ball head, with the Slik pan head reserved for the rare occasion when I'm using a video camera. The Manfrotto tripod and medium head will most likely be replaced with something better in the near future (after nearly 20 years of service), possibly with a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod and a Kirk BH-3 ball head.
07-11-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So, what would be your biggest lens then? Take one Dollar for every mm of focal length your longest lens has and buy the tripod for that money.

No, seriously. A tripod is the second most important camera accessory (after the flash gun) and you should not buy cheaply, because than you will buy double, soon. As one can read from your post, you like to travel. This in mind, you need to compromise on weight and bulk of the tripod. I recently bought for exactly these reasons a Velbon Sherpa Pro 540 carbon fibre tripod. It is not as robust or rock solid as some people claim in forum posts, but it is MUCH better than travelling without a tripod.

My main work horse is a Manfrotto 055 complete with a ballhead. I used a Linhof ballhead, but wasn't satisfied. I read loads of forum posts and thought the Benro KS line of ballheads was pretty decent. So I bought a Benro KS-1. It is nice, but does not live up to its reputation. It shifts slightly when clamping down, something, most forum posters denied. The ONLY ballhead I know off, that does not shift is the Novoflex Classic Ball 5:
special photographic accessories

I also have a Slik Master Pro, which is fairlay big and heavy and I don't like the collar locks for the leg extension. But my personal heavy duty tripod is a Unilock Master 1600 (not sure about the numer) with a big Manfrotto 3D-head. This is a rock solid combination with an accordingly high weight (8 kgs or so). This is the ideal outdoor tripod, because the legs can be place however mother nature affords, the tripod can be immersed in water without damage etc. The Benbo tripods (not Benro, as the above mentioned ball head) are similar.

Why do I list this? Because no one tripod will fit the bill. You are going to need several (two at least), because each model/style will have its limitations and its applications.

By the way: If you want a tripod for your 6 feet height, the tripod can be considerably smaller. Your eyes will be around 10 cm lower than your height. Than add the height of the tripod head + the camera height on top and you will "loose" another 20 cm. So a five foot tripod will probably be sufficient (the center column discounted, as this should not be used to raise the total height).

By by the way: If you are looking for stability, don't buy a grip head. These are made for fast and easy shooting and can't carry heavy loads.

regards
Ben
07-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
Forum Member

I use and highly recommend Gitzo GT3530LSV legs with a RRS bh-55 head. This was an upgrade from a bogen/manfrotto rig of 3021pro legs with a 488rc2 head.

The bogen gear is great for the money, but the gitzo+rrs is worth every penny.