Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

wireless trigger sync speed

I've asked this question on a couple of other forums and I'm not sure that it was understood what I'm asking.

Using studio strobes with wireless triggers, my question is this.

I understand that my K20D has a maximum flash sync speed of 1/180s and it's not a problem shooting at that speed if I slave the studio strobes or use the PC cord.

When I look at the specs of many of the wireless triggers, I notice that they say that the maximum sync speed is 1/125s. Which, of course, is slower than the maximum sync speed of my camera.

What I'm curious about is.....

What if, while using the wireless triggers, I use 1/180s instead of the recommended 1/125s???? What would happen???

Another question has to do with using a flash meter to set up the shot.

If you're using more than one strobe with each at a different intensity, do you measure for proper exposure using only one of the strobes? Or, when using two, does the higher intensity stobe set the shot?

TIA

Ed

03-17-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
I
What if, while using the wireless triggers, I use 1/180s instead of the recommended 1/125s???? What would happen???
If you're using more than one strobe with each at a different intensity, do you measure for proper exposure using only one of the strobes? Or, when using two, does the higher intensity stobe set the shot?
You'll get a black band or an all black frame. Any decent trigger syncs at 1/180 and most will go up to 1/250 unless you get some cheapy crap one

For the 2nd, you meter individually depending on what ratio you want and then do a meter of all to set exposure on your camera...
03-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What wireless trigger has a max sync speed of 1/125 sec? I never seen any of those.
03-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If I remember correctly, the cheap Cactus triggers have a speed of 1/500 s.