Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A quick (field?) review of the Naneu Alpha L

Finally, I found some time to review my now 3(4?) months old Naneu Alpha L!

So, what was the requirement? I needed a bag big enough to carry all the following stuff, during a trip for example:
- Pentax K-7 with DGB4 grip
- Voigtlander Color Skopar 20 mm
- Pentax FA 31
- Voigtlander Nokton 58mm
- Pentax FA 77
- Voigtlander Apo Lanthar 125mm
- Voigtlander Apo Lanthar 180mm
- Pentax AF 540 FGZ
- Apple 15" MacBook Pro
6 lens, 1 body, 1 flash and a laptop. Room for additional stuff like water, food, clothes was also needed. The bag had to be big and comfortable enough for a one day hike.
Room for a DA 18-55 and a MZ-50 was optional ^^

I ordered the Alpha L through the US website of the company ( Alpha L Camera & Laptop Backpack - Camera/Laptop Backpacks for Photography Equipment & Electronics - Military Ops Series | Naneu ), I had a very good contact with the Naneu representative. They were ok for a delivery of in Reunion Island ( Réunion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), so I think they can deliver almost anywhere in the world!

So, does the Alpha L fits? Answer is yes, it does!

Mobile phone pocket is big enough for a smartphone. I guess there would be no problem for an iphone.
Is it comfortable? Yes, the back of the bag and the straps have big padding. I used it during my last trip to Asia and I only carried the Alpha L during hikes. Unlike my Lowepro Orion Trekker II, it still feels good and balanced when the personnal compartment is empty. I have a much better posture with the Naneu.
It has a low profile for a camera bag: during customs check, the camera compartment was almost never noticed!

Alpha L survived the Pinoy tricycles! (can't say the same of my back)

The ballistic nylon is very sturdy, it can endures a light rain, but if you have to face serious rainfall, don't forget to bring the complimentary rain cover.

Not sure those military guys would use something that shiny

I had no problem traveling with this bag, it fit easily in the overhead compartments of most "big" planes (A330, A340, 777, etc). However on small planes like ATR 72 or Bombardier Q400, be prepared to put it under the seat in front of you. It's not always easy, there is little room in those planes.
At the time I was in Philippines, I used the tripod holder as a bottle holder.
Having a tightening strap a bit lower would have been better for holding the 1.5L bottles ^^'
The laptop compartment is big, sometimes I carry my 15" Macbook plus another 13" laptop inside it. No problem. I use the Alpha L everyday without the camera compartment.

So happy? Absolutely
If you want to have a picture of any detail of this, I will be happy to take and post them

03-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #2

Nice review.

How convenient is it to access your gear? It looks like the camera access is through the back of the bag only. Do you have to take off the entire backpack to access the camera gear?
03-29-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yes, you have to take off the bag to access to the camera compartment. That's a pro and a con: it's harder to access to your hear but at the same time, it doesn't shout "hey camera bag here!".
Not a problem for me as I usually take no more than 2 lenses with me when I go out.