Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

TR III Battery Pack & NIMH batteries?

Has anyone tried using the TR III battery pack for the AF540FGZ with rechargeable C cell NIMH batteries? When I say C cells, I mean real C cells, and not AA's with spacers (for 4500mAH vs. 2500nAH). I am concerned about the fact that 6 NIMH batteries = 7.2V whereas 6 alkalines = 9V.

03-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Has anyone tried using the TR III battery pack for the AF540FGZ with rechargeable C cell NIMH batteries? When I say C cells, I mean real C cells, and not AA's with spacers (for 4500mAH vs. 2500nAH). I am concerned about the fact that 6 NIMH batteries = 7.2V whereas 6 alkalines = 9V.
Yes it works, I am currently using it with energyON LSD NiMh C cells and it works fine. Refresh rates are good all the way until the batteries die, which I am still waiting for. My first outing I took interval pictures one every minute for about 5 hours, nearly 300 without the flash ever missing a single sync. Most of them at full power since I was in a large community room at the time.
03-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #3

I've been using rechargeable NiMH C cells in the TR III battery pack for a few years and the recycle time is about 2 seconds (!) for a full pop. The only thing I would say is that if your photographing an event or wedding, just be sure to give the flash unit a chance to cool down. I've actually felt the 540 flash head get really warm after a number of full power pops (usually as the bride & groom are leaving the alter).
03-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your responses. Roughly how many pops have you gotten out of a single set of NIMH per charge (say over an event like a wedding or a prom)? I realize that mileage will vary depending on lighting conditions, but my real concern is if one set would be fine for the average wedding or other event. Should I consider carrying a second set in my event case just in case? Personally I would do it anyway since I do that with alkalines right now (better safe than sorry I guess). I'm just curious as to other people's experiences with it.

In regards to the heating on the AF540, yeah, I've noticed that too. I make it a point to let it cool down if I've just let off a series of pops. Perhaps the next version will include a heatsink or a really small fan to help with that. It would probably look pretty intimidating with a fin type heatsink on the top of it...

03-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Much thanks to Jun and Waldo for posting their results with these batteries. I'd been using alkalines just to be safely within Pentax's guidelines, but your results have encouraged me to go ahead and pop for the Nimh "C"s and charger (not a huge expense, but not cheap by any means, and if they fried either the battery pack or the flash, it would have been expensive. . .). I'm very much looking forward to the faster refresh rates, and assume that these are with the 540 set to use "both" the batteries in the gun and the pack?

Scott