Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2007, 12:52 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Brand X battery for K10D ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Im looking to buy a 2nd battery for my K10D, i found this one on ebay (link below) does anyone know if it will work with the factory pentax charger? It has a note on the battery in the picture to "Use specified charger only" I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this battery, or ones like it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

eBay: One Pentax D-LI50 DLI50 Battery for K10D K10 1750mAh (item 200127740201 end time Jul-11-07 09:19:11 PDT)

07-11-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The specs are right, so the battery should work just fine with the Pentax charger. I've had no problems using third-party 1800mAh batteries since day one with my camera and charger.

I noticed the eBay seller is located in Hong Kong, which suggests he purchased the batteries locally at heavily discounted prices (things like this are real cheap in Hong Kong) and is re-selling them. If you can't find the batteries yourself through an online distributer in Hong Kong, you still get a good deal and he makes a little money. Not bad.

I've purchased several items from sellers in Hong Kong (once in the USA and three or four times here) and, other than slow shipping, everything went smoothly - no problems with import or customs.

By the way, the part saying "use specified charger only" is probably referring to the Pentax charger. My batteries say roughly the same thing and the instruction pamphlet clarifies it to mean that.

stewart
07-11-2007, 01:37 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Hm, at $6 a pop and $8 shipping, you're only coming out at $10 less than the third party battery that B&H sells. The specs are virtually identical (the eBay battery has just a tad more mAH.

Just another option for you if you don't want to deal with sellers from overseas.
07-11-2007, 07:12 AM   #4
Forum Member

Does anyone know if these batteries could be used in the battery grip, while the original pentax battery is in the camera? Or should the two batteries be of identical specs?

07-11-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the camera fits in the grip, it has to fit in the camera and viceversa, so it doesn't matter where you use it.

One thing to keep in mind though - Batteries are tested by the manufacturers and those that are not "primo quality" are sold as off-brand. Same thing happens with alkaline batteries. There's always the risk they will not last as long as they're supposed to, or last you as many charge cycles as it should.

But hey, for 10 bucks, I would buy 5-6 of them to keep as backup batteries!
07-11-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

To keep from removing the grip everytime the battery needs charging, I use a battery in the grip only. Replacing a dead battery in the grip is a lot quicker and easier than removing the grip to get access to a dead battery in the camera.

By the way, the grip does not have to be turned on for the battery in the grip to power the camera.

stewart
08-20-2007, 02:10 PM   #7

Just a thought

3 batteries.

highest capacity fully charged in camera.

spare battery 1 in grip.

set camera to use grip battery first.

keep an eye on usage and change grip battery when discharged.

that way you should always have power, and only need to change camera battery less frequently.

minolta dimage a1 , a2 np400 is a good replacement battery

08-22-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Just oredered one myself and at under twenty bucks you can purchase four for the price of one ey...
Test it when it arrives and let ya know if its value for money or not...
Quoted $80 here for one!!!!....