Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm considering one of the WhiBal cards myself :

Digital Photography - RawWorkflow.com - WhiBal Certified Gray Card for White Balance

Saw it advertised at T.O.P.

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Just WB and meter off the snow +2EV you will get almost perfect shots everytime.
Thanks, will try next time

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
same here

I use roads, tree trunks, what ever I can find, that is about 18% grey,

Ii have done this ever since my first SLR, and except for snap shots where I rely on the camera's metering I usually still shoot manual mode metering in this way.

a note for the OP and for proponents of having the histogram balanced in the middle. when there is a lot of snow, unless you are spot metering off something different, the camera will try to meter such that the snow is a middle tone. The camera simply does not understand what is in the image, all it is trying to do is put the exposure to make the average screen in the middle of the histogram.
Good tips

03-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Don't know if you guys know this trick or not...but if you can find a can of pringles chips that have the opaque white lid you can use that for white balance instead of a gray card. Stick it at the end of your lens on P mode shoot the picture and it should be roughly 18% gray