Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

O-ICK1: usefulness, price, longevity...?

I'm usually an "ignorance is bliss" type of guy... My K10D is two years old and just passed 20,000 actuations, and finally, this morning, I see dust on some photos.

So I did a dust test shot... MF all the way in, shot a white wall at F40. High contrast in post. Holy crap that's a lot of dust!!

So I guess I finally need to do something about it. I should mention that I've never done any sensor maintenance at all, other than to have the power-on shake enabled. So my first thought is Arctic Butterfly (see, advertising works!), but I go to their site and they want over $100! So then I search here on the forum. Silly me, my mind goes straight to contact cleaning, didn't even think about a Rocket Blower.

Sorry for all the explanation. My questions are:
1. Is the O-ICK1 a good solution? (I'm getting a Rocket Blower too)
2. Is the small Rocket Blower enough, or do I need one of the bigger ones?
3. Is the O-ICK1 a one-time-use thing? If not, how many uses should I expect?
4. Adorama has it for $45, is that a good price?
5. What's with the rippling in the photo? It showed up after I pulled the contrast way up.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by lavascript; 03-22-2010 at 10:22 AM.
03-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
O-ICK1 is a good solution, Leica factory seems to use a similar product. Don't know about rocket blower.
I've been using my O-ICK1 for over 2 years I still have about 10 sheets. You use a sheet each time you want to clean your sensor.
I bought mine for about 40€. 45$ sounds like a good price to me.
I have no idea about the rippling.
03-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've cleaned the sensor of the Pentax K100DS once and sensor of the K20D 3 times now using the Pentax O-ICK1 sensor cleaning kit. See here for an example of spotting and a Youtube link on how to use the kit:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/278818-post10.html

Note that with this kit you do not wipe or brush the sensor. You touch the cleaning tool end down on a sticky piece of paper to clean it – then touch the tool end down on a part of the sensor surface – then lift the tool up and touch it down on a sticky piece of paper to transfer the dust & grime – then touch the sensor again – and so on.

So you don't move the cleaning tool across the sensor surface – that could scratch the surface.

Dan.
03-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
pbo
Veteran Member

...and the rippling is probably wall paint texture - since you shot at F/40