Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Tamrac Velocity Series

I want to get one of these bags but I am not sure what size would be best. It will hold a K100D for now but I intend to upgrade as soon as possible to a K10D, so I would like if it could hold that WITH the grip... if any packs can even do that.

Edit: Ok I just realised that only the Velocity 9x is designed to be used with a grip. Will my K100D get lost in there? Anyone have any experience with these packs?

07-13-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With the BG is always an issue w/ packs, not just the velocity series.

I have the Velocity 7x and it's snug w/ my K10D. It forces you to think about what you're carrying and what you're going to use to minimize the amount of stuff you carry. It does work fairly well in fitting "just enough"...e.g., zoom on K10D, long zoom on one side, one or two primes on the other side. Or K10D w/ macro lens, flash, one or two primes. Or K10D w/ zoom, flash, and two fast primes.
Sometimes I do wish it were a little bigger, but you can strap another lens case or two to the sides of it.

I can't tell you how well the 9x works unfortunately...
07-13-2007, 09:00 AM   #3

Kenyee,

How do you find the 7x for comfort? I seem to be experiencing a case of camera bag buying addiction. I like my Expedition 5, but find it too big for carrying around town. MY EX160 is always a tight fit, and doesn't fit as close to the body as I would like. I am looking at a Velocity 7 or Slignshot for an 'around-town' bag. I am fiarly short, so I think the shape of the velocity would suit me better, as the Slingshot is quite long.

Chris
07-13-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

silver:
I'm afraid I can't say that much about the 7x yet since I've only had it about a week or so. It seems comfortable and good for an around-town bag (I actually got it for hiking since I think it'll work fine in front of me while I carry a camelbak on my bag). One negative is they should have made the strap so the padded part is moveable. When you flip it from back to front, the non-padded part of the strap rides on your shoulder more which is not as comfortable. I've taken to wearing it backwards to compensate, but this is something I wished they fixed in the x revision.

The slingshot is a good bag as well...bigger so you can fit more stuff, but you can't carry a backpack with it since it's really a backpack. I have a friend who's happy w/ a slingshot 200 but he carries more stuff around.

So it really depends on what you want to carry and how you want to carry it.

Here's an idea of how snug it is w/ the K10D:

p.s., forgot to mention the Sigma 17-70 doesn't fit w/ the lens hood on. You have to pop the hood and put it on the bottom which is ok because you usually only need the hood in really bright conditions...

07-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #5

Thanks Ken, and thanks for the pictures. I will have to do a test fit and see if my 70-300 will fit in this bag on the K100D.

Chris

p.s. The Op/Tech strap looks comfortable too.
07-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The Op/Tech strap makes the Sigma 17-70 w/ body more comfortable for sure. I thought it wasn't necessary at all w/ the kit lens which is a flyweight in comparison :-)

I have a Tamron 70-300 on the way as well and I think it should fit fine, but with the same hood caveat. What I'm not sure about is whether it'll fit in the side slots w/o getting in the way of the grip (means you'd have to put it on the left slot. An SB-28 flash pushes up slightly on the right flap which pushes against the right grip of the K10D which makes the cover more snug...