Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

SD card unusable after fill it up.

Are you familiar with SD card damage (logical, not physical) because over shooting on them?

I am using Kingston SD/512Mb and this is the second time I got a unusable card because let if fill (meaning that the camera reports "memory card is full").

I could salvage (copy/download) most of the files but after that time, the card becomes unusable. Neihter the card could be formatted nor the ureadable files erased.

I give up on file recovering (some good photos lost) but I am trying to recover the card. Or, are they disposable?

Best regards.
J.

07-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know, but maybe that particular card or model wasn't made or designed properly so they were allowed overfilled?
07-13-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have not used that brand. The Lexar, Sandisk, Patriot, Transcend, Olympus, and Fuji cards have never had a problem being totally filled then deleted or formated. Have only used the 1st four brands in a Pentax. Something is wrong with your card/camera. Cards aren't disposable like that.
thanks
barondla
07-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Kingston is a good brand so I doubt it's just a manufacturing issue with two different cards.

I would suggest you put the card on your computer and format it in there. Unless you somehow switched the Lock switch on, there's no reason why it should get stuffed up beyond usage.

Like barondla said, I've never had any problem filling up SanDisk, Lexar, Kodak, or Sony cards (Memory Sticks, Compact Flash Cards, and SD cards), so your issue is quite baffling.

07-19-2007, 01:59 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Try a regular 1gb or 2gb Scandisk card (brand name scandisk). Have you upgraded the firmware? This may be something to look into. there have been some upgrades and your camera may require one. (just a thought) a larger card may also give you the space needed. Remember When you format a card there is some disk space required and takes up space on the card. Depending on which camera you have a 512 card is way to small any more.

If you don't have the money for a 1gb card to try, PM me I have a couple I don't use (used and tested to be good) I'll see you get one.
07-19-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks man, I will consider your offer. But my post was to gather infromation in order to discard problems with my camera. Anyway, surfing this site I found quite some posts refering to cards problems (not reading, can't format, etc) which are not too different from mine and any of them has a reason nor solution.

J.
07-19-2007, 04:14 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
It's not the camera, I fried a GXT 1gb card when I got my K100D while shooting RAW at the Canadian Grand Prix. Flash memory is iffy, it's much more volatile than say physical drives (hard-drives) and generally they have a certain life span (X number of read/writes before failure). My GXT was just plain crap, ended up taking it back to Future Shop because I had it filled with RAW pictures but none could be copied off the card, couldn't even delete or format the card it would throw a write error.

Could just be a bad card, I have a Kingston in my Treo for work documents and haven't had any issues; i shoot with Sandisk Extreme III's and Transcend 150x's for my K100D and haven't had a problem yet *knock on wood*

-s