Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

Kirk Ballhead decision

Hello. I recently purchased a set of tripod legs, and after reviewing many manufacturers' ballheads and their accessories, I've decided to go with Kirk. I just can't decide whether to go with the BH-1 or BH-3. I initially went for the BH-1, but now seems a bit overkill and spending 100 bucks less on the BH-3 sounds appealing.

I'm a prime guy with a K-7. I have 2 da ltd primes right now, getting a dfa macro soon. I foresee getting 2 more da ltds and a DA* zoom or 200 or 300 prime someday (maybe a couple of years I hope). Since i have small pancake lenses at the moment, and my next couple of lenses are in similar size, the BH-3 should be more than capable than holding that. It's just the possibility of the DA* zooms/primes that concern me.

Any BH-3 owner use a DA* zoom or telephoto lens or other similar size lenses on that mount? Or should I just go for the BH-1 and not worry myself about it?

03-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't have either, but I have looked at Kirk Ball heads before. If it were me I would probably save the money and get the BH-3. They both look great and the spec load of 15 lbs for the BH-3 would seem sufficient for your needs. I don't know the various weights but just say that you K7 weighs 2 pounds (which it doesn't), are you likely to get a lens that weighs in over 13 pounds. Still even if you consider the added weight of the clamp and grip and filter(s) I can't imagine your non lens weight exceeding 3 pounds. Also, can your tripod legs withstand the extra weight afforded by the BH-1 which goes up to 50 lbs ? For me, the limiting step in whether I bring my tripod is its weight. I would go with the lighter ballhead if it met my needs and save the money towards the remainder lenses on my wish list.

my $.02
03-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I have a BH 1. I use it with a K200 and a K20. It supports a Sigma 150-500 quite well, but is a bit of overkill for my other lens.

I am not sure that the BH 3 would have been enough for the 150-500 though, or any lens that is going to weigh over 3 or 4 pounds?

If I had it to do over again, I would buy something besides the Kirk. It is 'good' ball head but in my opinion, WAY over priced for what you get. Simply put, the quality control is a bit lacking on mine. There is a white delrin ( I think it's delrin) washer that fits between the main tightening lever and the ball head body that just sort of sits there wobbling around on mine. The clamp wont tighten enough for it to do anything other than be a good place to gather dust. It's like the fit is poor. No, not like it, it just is. The panning movement is also very stiff. So much so that I would hesitate to put something like a Sidekick on it. Maybe it needs to be broken in a bit, but it is very very stiff.

I compared my BH 1 to a RRS BH 40 in the field a couple of weeks ago and there is no comparison. None. The quality and attention to detail of the RRS is head and shoulders above the Kirk.

If you are being swayed by the free universal camera plate, you might want to reconsider. It will work if you have nothing else, but you will end up hating it. It will rotate on the camera and you will end up getting a camera specific plate anyway.

And one final note. I don't know about the customer service at RRS or Acratech or anyone else, but I called Kirk on the phone, and to be honest, I did not come away with a warm fuzzy feeling. All I was doing was looking for a universal L plate for the K200 and a camera specific L plate for the K20. I asked about the K 200 first, and I felt like they were looking down on me for even asking about such a thing. When I got done being insulted for owning a K200, I just said the heck with ordering one for the K 20. Maybe I caught them on a bad day? At any rate, they will be hard pressed to get any more of my money.

I used to think RRS was way over priced as well, and maybe they are. But after buying a Kirk BH 1, I'm not so sure anymore.
03-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, I have an Acratech ball head for about a year now. I do admit that it runs a bit high, however its design, build quality, construction, materials and operation are absolutely flawless and nothing but superb. Its a novel ball head design that is open (easily cleaned), light weight, holds 25#, is a ball head, gimbal and also you can invert any of them to create a panning ball head. Give Acratech a call and their technical support is wonderful - the president, designer, chief engineer and master machinist - all go by the name of Scott. No question is too trivial...

Acratech, Inc*::*Ballheads & Tripod Accessories

Now, I did get a Kirk L bracket for my K20. It fits my K20 quite well and is well made. It was more specialized than Acratech's universal L bracket. Both Kirk, Acratech and RRS use the Acra Swiss mounting, so they all interchangeable and work well together.

hope that helps....

03-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
REM
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input. I will be using an L-bracket and will go with the Kirk on that one. I know RRS also has one but I dont like the layout of it (goes over the Raw button and autofocus switch). I like the Kirk layout better, unfortunately it is out of stock in the moment so I will wait on that.

I will not go for the BH-1, it does seem like overkill. I will scope out the mid-tier RRS to compare with the BH-3. Thanks.
04-04-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_in_the_Shire Quote
I have a BH 1. I use it with a K200 and a K20. It supports a Sigma 150-500 quite well, but is a bit of overkill for my other lens.

I am not sure that the BH 3 would have been enough for the 150-500 though, or any lens that is going to weigh over 3 or 4 pounds?
I have a BH-3. It handles my K7 + Sigma 150-500 HSM fine - no problem.

Of course it doesn't have any problem with a K7 + DA* 60-250mm, the largest of the DA* zoom lenses.
04-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I'm glad it works for you. When I had to decide, I thought that the lens combination with just the camera would push the BH 3 to it's absolute limit, and leave no room should I want to put something like a Sidekick on it. That's why I went with the BH 1. I didn't feel there were any options with the BH 3 later down the road. I bought the BH 1 with the thoughts of adding other lens and equipment to my kit. I did not want to have to buy another ball head in a year or two. But it now looks like I will anyway.