Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2010, 05:50 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Shooting birds in flight

I spent some time trying to get nice shots of swallows in flight. The best I could get was a small dot in the frame or empty frame when I wanted to have a decent zoom.

So I am thinking of using a red/green dot scope and mounting it on flash shoe. My hope is that looking through the scope I'll get wider field of view, and when I have the target centered, I can "shoot'. I know that even so many shots are going to be waisted, but on a decent focal length (400-500) I'll at least have a chance of some success.

Now I just want to ask is whether there is anybody else thinking the way I am and whether anyone has already used some aiming device to get nice shots of moving targets.

regards, Stanislav

03-28-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
D W
Veteran Member

Yes, I use a Daisy red dot sight from Amazon.com.
03-29-2010, 12:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've been trying to find that here in Sweden but can't seem to find a red dot sight specific to hot shoes. I'll monitor this post in case someone finds a good link or in case I do.

Also, I checked Daisy at amazon.com but could only see sights for airguns and rifles.
03-29-2010, 01:50 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
hit shoe

I did not find anything that could be mounted directly to hot shoe directly. I was thinking of finding a broken flash and use a hot-shoe mount from it and then glue red-point sight to that. With little luck it should work

03-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I browsed the net and found that people use some kind of adapter. Feels more non-destructive in case you want to use the red dot sight for your air rifle or something.
03-29-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Have you checked on BirdPhotographers.net?

BirdPhotographers.Net - It Ain't Just Birds! - Powered by vBulletin

You might find what you are looking for there.

I wouldn't mention you shoot Pentax gear however
03-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well with that heads up and no direct link to a certain thread, I don't feel much for delving into that forum.

03-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Well Geez - don't let them scare you off

They are sort of a pompous group, still friendly, though you have to beware of the Head Angle Police (and the Bokeh Police) but there is some good info over there.

But, you might try this link out. I think it might be what you are looking for

Photosolve Home > Products > Xtend-a-Sight
03-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_in_the_Shire Quote

But, you might try this link out. I think it might be what you are looking for

Photosolve Home > Products > Xtend-a-Sight
I've had the Photosolve Xtend-a-Sight mount for a couple of years and it works well. I have yet to have to readjust the sight after removing and remounting it in the hotshoe (I keep the sight on the mount all the time). I've also seen Red Dot sight mounted on the hood of a lens. I'm thinking of trying a Daisy sight wire tied to the side of the hood of my FA*300/4.5. I think I might be able to use it with my left eye while my right eye is looking through the VF.

Attached is a shot of my Tasco RD sight on the Photosolve mount on my K20 w/FA*300/2.8. I don't use this set up for BIF, it's for quickly locating small birds in foliage.

Scott
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by snostorm; 03-30-2010 at 09:09 PM.
04-08-2010, 02:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wow, never knew there was a picatinny rail hot-shoe attachment :P
04-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Something like this is not exclusively used for birds.
This can actually help a lot in shooting action wherein you have to pan the camera with the movement of the subject.
The red dot helps as you can see your subject continuously whereas if you where looking through the viewfinder, the mirror flips back and forth.
04-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
thanks to all for the info. just ordered a tasco and the hotshoe adapter for my spring birding ventures
04-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

If it's in-flight shots you're after, don't sell a Bush Hawk shoulder/gun stock style mount short. Much more flexible than a tripod for unpredictable, rapidly moving subjects like that.