Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Outex water housing

As anyone ever tried those Outex water housing? Outex

They claim to use professional grade glass and to be waterproof up to 10m.

Have you ever experienced this product? Or heard about it?

Looks like this:

03-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
Banned

im not sure I trust the seals to not come loose, but it seems to do the job,. apparently since 2006. the complete lack of any visual contact with the controls is a bit odd to me. what if you happen to be using a body that doesn't display everything in the viewfinder? I dont know, maybe its just me, but that aspect is a bit of a deal breaker. I do see though that they support pentax all the way back to the *istD and up to the K-x and K-7. thats pretty cool. the instillation video shows that its pretty finicky to get the cover over the body, it even has a warning. I think it could possibly be easier to tear the rubber housing than one might think. from what im seeing though, this seems to be a rather cheap solution compared to a dedicated underwater housing and seems to do the job. and since its unlikely that you will find many housings designed for pentax, id be tempted to give this a go since its not too expensive.

by the way, pentax japan offers an underwater housing for K-x users. its dubbed the 'Sea Tool' I believe. Pentax Online ShopFƒV[ƒc[ƒ‹ –h…ƒnƒEƒWƒ“ƒO SODH-PKx-S ŒÀ’èƒZƒbƒg
03-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
this seems to be a rather cheap solution compared to a dedicated underwater housing and seems to do the job. and since its unlikely that you will find many housings designed for pentax, id be tempted to give this a go since its not too expensive.
That's the point. It's hard to find any housing for K-7 plus I don't really plan to take pictures under the sea often, so I thought "maybe that's ok".
Anyone tried this?

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
by the way, pentax japan offers an underwater housing for K-x users. its dubbed the 'Sea Tool' I believe. Pentax Online ShopFƒV[ƒc[ƒ‹ –h…ƒnƒEƒWƒ“ƒO SODH-PKx-S ŒÀ’èƒZƒbƒg
God, I knew I should have taken a K-x
03-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
have a look at these unterwaterhousing
ewa-marine:*Underwater housings and rain capes for photo cameras and camcorders

these are well made not as expensive as a solid one

03-29-2010, 03:11 AM   #5
Zav
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iFoto Quote
have a look at these unterwaterhousing
ewa-marine:*Underwater housings and rain capes for photo cameras and camcorders

these are well made not as expensive as a solid one
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to have a look at it
03-29-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I support the suggestion to look at EWA marine, aqua-Pak, Dry-pak, and other similar brands. I'm using one of thise (aqua-pak I believe, can't seem to remember) and it's excellent. I'd rather see the controls I'm using, I think
04-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #7

That's a slight "problem" for me as I would like to take videos when I go snorkeling with my K-7. Without an underwater housing I will just have to leave it at shore ...

03-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I would like to know if anyone has used this setup? like it? good? bad? pros cons?
03-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I'd love to hear if anyone has experience with the EWA-marine bag-type underwater housings at depths of 60 feet / 20 meters or greater. I really don't care what brand of camera was used, so long as the camera has multiple controls.

The reason I ask, is as the surrounding pressure increases, the air in a bag type housing will compress with the bag becoming more form fitting and transfer more and more of the external pressure to the camera inside. It is my understanding that the camera controls become increasingly difficult to operate as the diver descends because of this.
03-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
It is my understanding that the camera controls become increasingly difficult to operate as the diver descends because of this.
I've never been very very deep, but your assumption is correct. I feel that when shooting underwater, the best is to set everything as best as you can before, in P mode, then limit yourself mainly to pressing the shutter.
05-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Just purchased mine and it will be on the doorstep next week. it's going to be a long weekend.