Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #1

Polarizer on Ships

I photograph mainly ships. The conditions encounter have typically bright sunlight from above and to the right, or directly infront. My question is, would the use of a polarizer have a major effect on improving a sometimes washed out sky and especially reducing glare/reflection off of the white superstructures, without a noticeable degradation of sharpness?

03-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Halco Quote
I photograph mainly ships. The conditions encounter have typically bright sunlight from above and to the right, or directly infront. My question is, would the use of a polarizer have a major effect on improving a sometimes washed out sky and especially reducing glare/reflection off of the white superstructures, without a noticeable degradation of sharpness?
Very likely. If you do lots of that, you may want the nicest polarizer you can get, as well as one or two about which you don't have to be afraid of spray and sand and stuff. I call them 'beaters.'
03-30-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah--I think you're going to be pretty amazed at the difference.

It's also going to help with color saturation, so instead of just getting the washed out white of a white ship, it's going to look "more real," with better detail/visibility of the rivets, plates, etc.