Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Installing Travor focusing screen on Pentax KX

Having five manual focus PK lenses and looking into another one (no way I could afford a 500 mm AF lens), I thought it is time to install a split image focusing screen. After doing some research on this site, I decided for the Travor double 45 deg. split image screen, I bought one on ebay for $21, free shipping.
I am not going to elaborate on the install, there is quite a few posts on this topic here and elsewhere and it is not that difficult (a "third hand" with a light is a good idea thou). However, I made one "logical" mistake that I want others to avoid.
When you lay your camera on its back with the top facing you, you will find the tab on the original focusing screen on the left hand side and this is how I installed the Travor screen. Big mistake, my pictures were out of focus because the screen was installed up side down, the etched side of the screen needs to face down. You need to install the Travor screen with the tab on the right hand side!

Another comment, this time regarding the Pentax K-X autofocus correction described on this forum as well. It seems that most K-X owners had a slight back focusing problem, requiring +40 to +70 adjustment. I happened to have a major front focusing problem and my camera required -150 adjustment. With the split image screen installed, I can confirm that my autofocus is now bang on.
Cheers,

03-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/956480-post50.html

Frank has reiterated several times that the focal adjustment has nothing to do with this and I'm compelled to agree.
03-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Agree, but I never said that my autofocus has changed with the focusing screen. I have adjusted the AF couple months ago, I am just saying that I can now confirm that my earlier adjustment was correct.
04-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by luma Quote
cut...
When you lay your camera on its back with the top facing you, you will find the tab on the original focusing screen on the left hand side and this is how I installed the Travor screen...cut
That's weird, mine was facing right and i'had remove the shim (did you had one?) and put the trevor screen tab facing left (and add a stripe of tape on pentamirror side to achieve near perfect installation).

Regarding AF adjustment -100 was enough for me, and it was done before installing the screen using a f1.4 lens.

04-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I just installed a jinfinance screen in my K200D and also had the same problem. Tried to the left first - no alignment when AF focusing. Then tried placing the tab to the right- spot on : )

I left my shim installed in the camera

Made a post here on the subject - And informed the jinfinance guy of it too, he said he'd pass it on to his customers