Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Re. stacking filters - I remove the UV or daylight filter when using a different one, e.g. a polarizer. To get enough density for long shutter speeds I will stack filters however.

On the topic of should you or should you not: testing for yourself is easy enough. You learn when there is an effect noticeable and important to you, and when there isn't. Thus educated, you are now in a better position than those who only go by hearsay and theory.

Personally, in most situations I don't see enough important difference, so I tend to have some lenses with and some without. And which lenses have the UV on will change over time... If I'm going to do night shooting I'll remove them, unless I'm at the shore, as that's one time I definitely get an important difference using a filter.

I also like using daylight filters as they add a subtle bit of warmth.

04-09-2010, 01:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm pretty sure that this has been proven wrong on many occasions.
A very high quality filter may have a negligible effect on image quality, but a mediocre filter can have a fairly serious effect on IQ, especially sharpness and contrast, and can also affect colour accuracy and can introduce flare.
That has been proven wrong on many occasions, everyone knows it, it's common sense.
04-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A very high quality filter may have a negligible effect on image quality, but a mediocre filter can have a fairly serious effect on IQ, especially sharpness and contrast, and can also affect colour accuracy and can introduce flare.
This reflects my own experience. Degradation of IQ, as far as sharpness or contrast are concerned are not detectable, if I use high quality filters. But the added flareing and ghosting is anything but rare. It is all too common, even with a good lens hood, keeping away direct light from the filter surface.

Ben
04-09-2010, 06:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I think you are right.
Whiule there are a lot of opinions, it is also possible to find some facts.
Read this article: UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com
It supports your statement.

= Bert

04-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Have a look at this article, it shows the flare that a UV filter can add. I don't use UV filters anymore at all, except where environmental protection demands it (sand, rain).
04-09-2010, 07:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with most of the people here in saying that UV filters are not really needed. I used to use them until I noticed the decrease in IQ, so now I'm just extra careful with my lenses and all is fine.
04-27-2010, 05:25 AM   #22

Thank you guys so much for this great and informative post!

I just bought a K-x and I was about to purchase a couple expensive UV filters because I thought it would be for the best.
With the knowledge I've gained from here, you guys just saved me from wasting a couple of bills.

Thanks once again!