Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Lens Pen

What do you all think of it for cleaning lenses? Can you tell me what you recommend, if there is something better? Thank you!

03-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If it's the same as this lenspen I'm very impressed with it
03-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
pbo
Veteran Member

This lenspen + a microfiber cloth gets job done 99% of the time for me.
03-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I think I am addicted to the darn things. I buy the kit, the one with 3 pens and a cloth. I have one set in my back pack and one in my day bag. Got some more laying around here someplace. They work very well and I would not leave home without one. They do dry out over time though, so you should replace them once a year or so I guess.

03-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lenspen is great for anything light, but as soon as the grease gets heavy, it just got spread around the glass. Still, every photographer should have one. It is the 1st thing I tried if I ever need to remove any fingerprints on the glass.
04-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Over time the Lenspen tends to accumulate small particles on the tip.
I have a friend who scratched the front element of his Nikon tele due to this.
04-02-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Lenspen

I am very leery about the Lenspen.
To use the same cleaning surface over and over again without any means of cleaning it is inviting trouble. It might pick up some grit and scratch the lens.
To me it seems to have a rather hard surface to be rubbing on a lens.
I prefer a soft lens brush and then, only if necessary a microfiber cloth preceded with a misting by breathing on the lens.

Mickey

04-03-2010, 04:34 AM   #8
Forum Member

Not a fan of those pens.. Same tip touches the lens over and over, eventually you pick up something that'll scratch the glass.
I quite like Kimwipes though, they're lint free disposable wipes. Work really well.. Been using them for a few years now.
04-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Got a Lens Pen after some thought, and have been impressed. I haven't had any issues with scratching. I think if you use the brush first, while holding the lens upside down to prevent particles from falling back on it, then you should be fine. Remember to twist the cap on the activated carbon side after every use, like they instruct you to.
04-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

People comment on scratching the lens with a lensPEN. This will NOT happen if you use it properly. The first part of the procedure is to use the brush to remove ANY dust particle. The second part involves using the dry cleaning material to remove spots and dirt. If your lensPEN is replenished well (by swiveling it while the cap is on) it will take care of almost anything, and never scratch your lens.

A must have.
04-04-2010, 05:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

"it will take care of almost anything,"

Not very reassuring.

Mickey
04-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
I prefer a soft lens brush and then, only if necessary a microfiber cloth preceded with a misting by breathing on the lens.

Mickey
Ditto.

I have a lenspen, and have used it a couple of times w/o any negative issues.
04-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
I am very leery about the Lenspen.
To use the same cleaning surface over and over again without any means of cleaning it is inviting trouble. It might pick up some grit and scratch the lens.
To me it seems to have a rather hard surface to be rubbing on a lens.

Mickey

I second this. Breathing on the lens and wiping with microfiber cloth is the best cleaning method for any lenses or filter. no chemicals, no fancy pens to use, and works perfect. Make sure you blow and brush away any dust off the glass before cleaning.
04-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #14

I tried out the Nikon Lens Pen, and returned it. The cleaner end left a TON of black residue. Thank god I didn't use it on my lenses, just tested it on my finger. Turned my finger black. So, avoid the Nikon pen unless you only use the duster end.
04-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Good thoughtful discussion but i still prefer a LensPen.

Mostly i just use the brush end to get off dust and rarely have to do much more than that. Convenient to carry and don't have to carry a separate brush like one has to to with a microfiber cloth.

I wipe off the cleaning end with a cloth occasionally, the soft rubber end or whatever it is allows spot removal of problem without completely wiping the surface each time.

Lenspen works great in my experience.