Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tripod on a budget?

Not more than 100$ As long as it's reliable. Weight doesn't matter much, but it can't be TOO big.

What is a tripod and a tripod head anyways?

03-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tripod (photography) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On cheap tripods the head is usually permanently attached to the legs; on many higher end models the head is removable so that you can use the same legs with different heads for different applications. For a general purpose tripod most people use a ball head or a 3 way pan/tilt head. I would suggest going to a retailer like Henrys or Vistek and playing with the samples so you can get some idea of which type of head you want. If you want height then leg length is important as raising the centre column makes a tripod far less stable.

Tripods (especially cheap ones) don't hold their value well so buying used can be a good way to save money if you don't need something fancy and light weight. I've seen cosmetically dirty but high quality tripods (up to TV broadcast camera size) go for a fraction of their new cost at camera shows and auctions.
03-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
;( no ships to Canada.

03-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
These are the ones I find in craiglist.

Tripod for Digital Camera and Video adjustable to 60'' No Name...

Giottos HD 324 Tripod Giottos HD 324 Tripod...

Velbon Sherpa 200R Tripod Velbon Sherpa 200R...

60' Professional Camera Aluminum Tripod Bubble Level *Metallic* NEW No Name?

Some more random ones too... I have no idea what is a good tripod though.. This is going to be my first one.
03-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
A Good tripod will cost more money and will be worth every penny. A Cheap tripod can cause camera shake outdoors which defeats the purpose of having a tripod. Weight of a tripod is important. A Lighter tripod isn't necessary a good thing. Heavier tripods are more stable and can hold still even on a windy day.

The Manfrotto. 055xProB is one solid tripod. I own one of those. If it happens that you are outdoor on a very windy day, the tripod offers a built in clip which allows you to attach a weight bag to make the tripod even more stable.

The Manfrotto 498rc2 or rc4 is an excellent head for the tripod allowing you to achieve superior control and making micro movements without having to totally lock and unlock the ball head in addition to the +90° -90° ball positioning and in the 360° pan movements.

The tripod and head cost around $300. It's better to save your money and buy a good tripod now rather then getting a cheap one, otherwise you will end up buying both after discovering that the cheap one isn't working for you.

Last edited by Alex00; 03-30-2010 at 11:22 PM.
03-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
;( no ships to Canada.
you can try one of these
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/53055-fancier-im-not-kidding-tripod.html

I have one of their carbon fiber tripods and it's not bad. I'd recommend going with a brand name head though.

03-31-2010, 06:27 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Using a tripod in the field can be a real PITA, regardless of its weight, but of course, it's better than NOT using one. When I used to in the past, it was always when I had a specific shot or series of shots in mind.

It just became too much work setting it up, getting the proper, height, angle, POV, etc. I preferred a monopod because it was always attached and I actually USED it.

Which, thank you for reminding me, I should start getting into the habit of using again.
03-31-2010, 06:34 AM   #9

I have an aluminum 6 foot (max height) tripod that i got for $12. Yup, $12 brand new. Made in China. It's got a detachable head shoe also. Bubble tilt level indicator also

I won't use it on a windy day though, since it's very light. On windy environments, the old-school steel pipe tripods are better IMO. And I won't use it for video either, since the tilting and panning is not very smooth.

Used it for some previous Long Exposure night HDR:
03-31-2010, 06:40 AM   #10

oh it's this one: CDR KING

apparently, it's $14 now lol.

Im pretty sure somebody in Ebay is selling the same thing in North America with a different brand
04-02-2010, 03:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I second to look at Weifeng models (they also have Fancier brand).
This is largest China manufacturer. About 70% of cheap and middle class tripods are actually theirs.
I have Fancier FT6662A, also more stable video tripod with fluid head (about $110) and very light tripod, as well as simple monopod with plastic head and quick release just for heavy long lenses. All have differend brands, but made by Weifeng.
Good carbon tripod will be almost same weight, but more stable.
Weifent is about $180 for carbon+good ball head+padded case.
04-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Of the Craigslist ones I saw, I think only that Velbon Sherpa is worth looking at, I think some here have used some from that series. I don't know if they're worth that.

Sheer mass makes up for a lot of vices, if you're trying to go cheap, I say. I got lucky when re-equipping to get my Amvona stuff, when they were all over Ebay, with some patient lowballing. I doubt they'd be my first choice if paying full price: this was great for like fourty bucks in total, they'd sell this stuff new for almost 200 +shipping, but the customer service blows and, well, I had to go over all the nuts and bolts, some were even loose in the package. (But, since I'd deliberately bought this model cause it looked eminently self-repairable if it sucked, that wasn't too big a deal)

(Just peeked in on Amvona, what I have is the At- 858B legs and an ATH-A02 ballhead. Which is actually pretty nice, but by reputation, I really lucked out to get a good copy. I might try Adorama's Flashpoint budget house brand stuff, I think: their stuff is similar, and even if not impressive in quality, their customer service rocks if anything is bad. )

And I just saw what I missed you saying, that they don't ship to Canada. No huge loss there, though.

Fairly beefy stuff to want to carry around, surely: quite steady, though, which is what a tripod's for, apart from being *with* you.

But, you know, there's stuff around. What kind of shooting are you looking to do?
04-08-2010, 01:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My Sakure tripod cost not more than USD10.00 many years ago and is still durable todate.
04-08-2010, 01:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I got a cheapo profile tripod from Amazon. It's really sturdy and has a ball head (well I guess some might call it that) and I've really had no huge complaints about it. Sometimes it will drift after I adjust it.
04-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #15

Redsnapper. Very good build, people at talkphotography.co.uk highly recommend them.
I think they are pretty good value and nothing feels cheap (the bag is great!).