Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

AF280T+ wireless trigger= underexposed

hello all

when using my F280T with a wireless trigger i get pictures that are underexposed. when just using the built in flash the pictures turn out great. what would be my problem? My camera is a K200D if that helps any. I know that the flash is TTL only would that be the problem?

thanks

04-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you use the flash in TTL mode or auto mode? If in auto mode, are you using the green (low power) or the red (high power) mode? Have you set the camera according to the exposure recommendation at the back of the flash?

Otherwise, you could just just use the flash in full power manual and it should work flawlessly.
04-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I tried auto, manual and the grean and red. the results are the same i have the ISO on 100. with the F280 off and just the camera flash on everything is dead on. that is the part I find wierd. the same if i just use the F280 on the camera instead of using the wireless trigger everything is great after a bit o tweaking on the camera.
04-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm betting that there is a significant delay happening. Can you see catchlights or any other indication that the flash is firing at the right time?
Try dropping your shutter speed to around 1/60 and see what happens.

04-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm betting that there is a significant delay happening. Can you see catchlights or any other indication that the flash is firing at the right time?
Try dropping your shutter speed to around 1/60 and see what happens.
I just tried that it it has the same effect I even tried it at 1/40. It looks like it is going off at the same time. maybe i will post some pics tomorrow one with the AF280 and wireless trigger and one with just the built in flash
04-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MacKay Quote
It looks like it is going off at the same time...
To be sure, take a photo in front of a large mirror. Make sure the image of the AF280T in the mirror is visible in the photo.

You can tell whether the AF280T is firing during actual exposure.
04-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
OK so i took 2 pics. the difference between the exposures. I am assuming i am doing something wrong can anyone enlighten me. thanks

Picture 1 is with the AF280T the wireless trigger and the built in camera flash the external flash is sitting on the lefthand side right past the cds pointing inward
Name:  with external.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  26.1 KB
picture 2 is with just the internal flash
Name:  with no external flash.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  41.3 KB

04-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Mackay,

Did you take a test photo with all flash units visible in front of a mirror as recommended in my previous post?

You can NOT trigger an optical slave with the built-in flash.

The built-in flash fires two strobes: a pre-flash strobe and a main flash.

The pre-flash strobe, for light metering, happens before the mirror raises. The mirror has to be in the "down" position because the light sensors are in the prism. The light entering the lens needs the mirror bending the light to hit the light sensors.

The main strobe is to illuminate the scene during metering.

The problem is that the optical slave is triggered by the pre-flash strobe, firing the external flash before the exposure. Thus the external flash does not fire (not enough time to charge up) during the exposure.

The pre-flash strobe and the main strobe, in normal case, are only about 1/50 second apart. Most people can not tell that there are two strobes.

To verify this, set your camera to 2 second delay mode. After hitting the shutter release, you will see in sequence: the pre-flash strobe (and the external flash firing), the mirror raising, 2 second delay, the shutter opening (and the main strobe from the built-in flash).

The only case in which the built-in flash fires ONE strobe at full power is when you have a manual lens (non A) attached to the camera body.

See this thread for similar problem (a bit more complicated, but the cause is the same). My post is on page 2.

Last edited by SOldBear; 04-16-2010 at 05:57 PM.
04-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
solddear, i just read that other post and I think it help explains some stuff. does the pre-flash strobe always fire? i am assuming it does. thanks for all the great info, i am really new to using external flashes. so the only way around this is to use an external flash mounted and then another external flash with trigger, i have a metz 48 aswell
04-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #10

Do you have Red-eye reduction turned on for the in-camera flash?

Russ G.
04-17-2010, 03:16 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
red-eye reduction is not turned on
04-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you using wireless (radio) triggers? Or an optical slave? What mode are you shooting in?