Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've often wondered if 'digital camoflage' might hide you from rival photographers' sensors.

04-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #32
Veteran Member

@ RML - I could see digital camo causing really bad moire with the right combination of pattern and viewing distance.
04-17-2010, 09:14 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
Check out

Tilley Endurables.

Almost indestructable.
Excellent selection.
Lifetime guarantee.

Mine (The original) is over 30 years old and as good as new.

The trouble is that when you travel everyone wants to buy your hat.

Mickey
That's a Tilley in my avatar. When it gets grubby, just chuck it into the clothes washer. Full Tilley guarantee of indestructibility, of course. One replacement reported by Alex Tilley was of a hat they replaced that had passed through an elephant. I do not recall how long the owner had to follow the elephant checking for hat pieces, but it is a neat (and true) story. They float, too.
04-18-2010, 03:29 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Elephnat passage

The hat that passed through the elephant came out pretty much the same as it went in ..... 3 times.

It was replaced because Tilley, understandably, wanted it for their advertising.

It was and still may be on display in their main store in Don Mills.

This from Tilley's catalogue;
"The heading on a catalog description of the famous Tilley Hat: ELEPHANT EATS TILLEY HAT 3 TIMES! What follows is “This is a true story. Michael Hackenberger, director of the Bowmanville Zoo in Ontario, used to train elephants….” Effective? Well, it certainly is startling. Having experienced close up the results of an elephant's gastrointestinal system, I'm impressed by the hat's indestructible quality but uneasy about the totality of the washing machine's ability to cope with the output."

Mickey

Last edited by mickeyobe; 04-18-2010 at 08:47 AM.
04-18-2010, 07:04 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got a friend with a Tilley. He loves it. Swears by it.

But for me, it's a Filson:

That's Filson's tin-cloth "Bush" model; I've also got a white, light-weight Filson "Packer" hat for summer; it's more floppy because it uses shelter-cloth, and it's also got a smaller brim.

White's better around ticks, by the way.

Filson still makes their original hat, too, which is an outdoor version of the pork-pie.

Tilleys are great. But I'm surprised no one else had mentioned Filson until now. A Filson is as durable as a Tilley, but I think it's a little more basic in execution. (I'll bet if this were a fly-fishing forum, a ton of posters would have mentioned Filson. But I'll confess I have no stories to relate involving elephants. . . .)

Anyway, I have the same affiliation with Filson that Mickey has with Tilley. We don't get any pay; we just love our respective hats!

Last edited by grey goat; 04-18-2010 at 07:05 AM. Reason: punctuation. . . .
04-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The hat that passed through the elephant came out pretty much the same as it went in ..... 3 times.

It was replaced because Tilley, understandably, wanted it for their advertising.

It was and still may be on display in their main store in Don Mills.

This from Tilley's catalogue;
"The heading on a catalog description of the famous Tilley Hat: ELEPHANT EATS TILLEY HAT 3 TIMES! What follows is “This is a true story. Michael Hackenberger, director of the Bowmanville Zoo in Ontario, used to train elephants….” Effective? Well, it certainly is startling. Having experienced close up the results of an elephant's gastrointestinal system, I'm impressed by the hat's indestructible quality but uneasy about the totality of the washing machine's ability to cope with the output."

Mickey
Thanks, Mickey. I did not know the whole story. Maybe the elephant was trying to get rid of intestinal parasites?
04-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Thanks, Mickey. I did not know the whole story. Maybe the elephant was trying to get rid of intestinal parasites?
Nothing says fiber like a til?

I like my straw cowboy hat, I can set it back, so the brim is up high and it is light and airy.

I have hair, but if I am out a long time I toss a bandanna on to protect from the sun...

04-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #38
Veteran Member

After a series of of hats from ballcap to Stetson, the Tilley was the Promised Land.

Brim just pushes itself aside when shooting and it's wonderfully comfortable in the following weather:

* Hot and dry
* Hot and humid
* Hot and raining
* Chilly and raining
* Cool and damp
* Cold and snowy (a bit of gaffer's tape closes the ventilation)

Does a pretty good job of keeping the sun/elements off the back of the neck.

Looks cool and is indestructable.

I questioned the cost until I wore it to my first airshow. Then ... bliss.
04-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #39

I thought this was going to be a silly thread, but now I think I'll be ordering a Tilly this weekend! I prefer ballcaps, but I've got a trip to a sunny locale scheduled for this summer, and I flyfish a lot, and my photography will definitely be keeping me outdoors a lot, so something with a little more sun protection is probably a good idea. Oh, by the way-"Boonie Hats" STINK! I've been wearing one everyday for the past few months because I have to. Real boonie hats are ill-fitting, misshapen, floppy messes. (and they aren't waterproof, either). I'll probably give this one to my son when I'm done with it. I sure as heck won't be wearing it when I don't have to! (they are cheap though. You get what you pay for, I guess)
04-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #40
smf
Pentaxian

I have a couple of pins from parks on my inexpensive Boonie hat.
I'd be glad to add a Pentaxforums pin if they become available. I get a free sample for suggesting the idea, right?
04-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #41
Inactive Account

This one's nice. I'm going to pick one up next time I'm at the museum.

It's available here:
George Eastman House Shop

Last edited by slinco; 05-02-2010 at 04:52 AM.
04-26-2010, 09:30 PM   #42
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sgilder Quote
I thought this was going to be a silly thread, but now I think I'll be ordering a Tilly this weekend! I prefer ballcaps, but I've got a trip to a sunny locale scheduled for this summer, and I flyfish a lot, and my photography will definitely be keeping me outdoors a lot, so something with a little more sun protection is probably a good idea. Oh, by the way-"Boonie Hats" STINK! I've been wearing one everyday for the past few months because I have to. Real boonie hats are ill-fitting, misshapen, floppy messes. (and they aren't waterproof, either). I'll probably give this one to my son when I'm done with it. I sure as heck won't be wearing it when I don't have to! (they are cheap though. You get what you pay for, I guess)
yeah they sold me on the Tilly also. when i save up some dough i will be investing into one.
05-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #43
krb

Now I know better. It is just a sad looking knockoff of the Tilley.

Does it have a pocket inside the crown for I.D or a few bucks?
It soon will now I'll bet.
Knockoff? Boonie hats were being worn by soldiers in Viet Nam 20 years before Tilley was established as a company.

I have and love a Tilley hat, but if anything the Tilley is an improved version of the older boonie.
05-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd never consider buying a hat that costs more than my camera.
Perhaps I'd see things differently were I follically challenged...

Chris
05-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Goettmann make excellent caps and hats.

Outdoor Research also does headwear well for all sorts of conditions.