Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A surplus store would be a good place to look around and try different styles on, they usually have a wide selection of hats with varying level of weirdness. I have a bunch of different styles of wide brimmed hats that I wear depending on how hot it is and what the weather is like. The Tilley and boonie styles are convenient to fold into a large pocket or small bag and take anywhere, but I have a wide brimmed cowboy hat that I'll wear if it's really sunny out and I want neck protection.

04-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wear a baseball cap, can still take photos with it facing foward but if it starts getting the way i just spin it around
04-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oddity96 Quote
i have a big weird shaped head. so i look funny in kinds of hats.
Incidentally, I understand the Stetson company makes stuff a that's good for people with those complaints. I don't know how much is particularly-suited to photography, but I gather they shape things differently.
04-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I use a Panama hat. Wide enough to keep the sun out, and can easily be pushed away for vertical shots. It's also foldable which is a plus...

04-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I also use a Tilley, albeit one with wider brim (can function as a lens hood with wide angle lenses ). I can always just let it hang by it's cord if I need to take it off for some wide angle shots, and otherwise it gives really excellent sun protection. Saw a lot of these hats on vacation in the Canadian Rockies, but I don't exactly see many people wearing them in and around the city...
04-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oddity96 Quote
i can't stand wearing ball caps backwards. it just bugs the hell out of me. never could do that.

i was thinking of going to the army surplus store and just getting a boonie cap.
turn it sideways!

the booney hat works for me. better, less expensive, wider brim, and fit my big head much better than army surplus is chinese knock-off. mine cost US$10.
04-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #22

I wear a basic Panama hat. It rarely gets in the way but it it does, I push the flexible brim up or tilt the hat a bit. I wear it for sun, mostly, but it's nice in a light rain, too, since I wear glasses.

04-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
got home from my trip to Disneyland. was running short on time so i just got the Boonie cap from the surplus (made sure it was not a Chinese knock off). it worked great even if i did look weird in it. the only problem was when using a flash but with the flexible brim easily corrected.

Those Tilly hats do sound like a good investment though.
04-12-2010, 11:35 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Tilley Hats

The Canadian Forces in Afghanistan wear camouflaged Tilley hats.

The brim on either side can be folded and clipped up like the famous ANZAC hats.

Because of its flexibility the brim at the front can just be scrunched up for vertical shots. It will flop back down on its own.

Really hot day? Soak the Tilley in cold water and apply to hot head. Ahhhhh.

Tilley floats. So hard to starboard and go back to retrieve it. No need for a diver.

It can be tossed in the washing machine and even ironed if you are finicky.

No. I am only a customer. I get no commission. Not even a discount.

Mickey
04-13-2010, 08:45 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote

The brim on either side can be folded and clipped up like the famous ANZAC hats.

Because of its flexibility the brim at the front can just be scrunched up for vertical shots. It will flop back down on its own.

Really hot day? Soak the Tilley in cold water and apply to hot head. Ahhhhh.

Tilley floats. So hard to starboard and go back to retrieve it. No need for a diver.

It can be tossed in the washing machine and even ironed if you are finicky.

No. I am only a customer. I get no commission. Not even a discount.

Mickey
you should. when i do buy my Tilley i am going to give them your name so hopefully they give you a commission check.
04-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Similar to this is the standard US issue "boonie." Too many sources to list and not all are made the same... but here's an example: Desert Digital H2O Proof Boonie Hat (Clothing / Rain Gear)

Similar to the Tilley, brim is pliable enough to allow using the camera without removal.

Also similar to the Tilley the brim can be folded up on the sides and held in place - no snap here, use the draw string instead. See: Waterproof Boonie Hat*::*Camo Clothing*::*Hunting Clothing*::*Hunting & Shooting*::*Gear Shops*::*Jax Mercantile, Co

woof
04-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Boonie Hat

woof,

Thanks for the address for the Boonie Hat.

I thought everyone was referring to the Daniel Boone hat - a coonskin hat with the raccoon's tail hanging down at the back.

Now I know better. It is just a sad looking knockoff of the Tilley.

Does it have a pocket inside the crown for I.D or a few bucks?
It soon will now I'll bet.

Mickey
04-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Similar to this is the standard US issue "boonie." Too many sources to list and not all are made the same... but here's an example: Desert Digital H2O Proof Boonie Hat (Clothing / Rain Gear)

woof
that is close to one i got. got it from a local army surplus store. paid $13.00

woof,

Thanks for the address for the Boonie Hat.

I thought everyone was referring to the Daniel Boone hat - a coonskin hat with the raccoon's tail hanging down at the back.

Now I know better. It is just a sad looking knockoff of the Tilley.

Does it have a pocket inside the crown for I.D or a few bucks?
It soon will now I'll bet.

Mickey
yes it does.
04-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Every proud Pentax shooter needs one of these:

Chris
You're kidding, right?

Maybe it's a cultural thing but man does that shout 'Loser'. If I went anywhere near it my teenager daughters would immediately call into question my orientation and even sanity.

Sorry about that but 'tis the way of the world.
04-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I wear a Bogart-style "breezer" hat from Lee-Valley. 3" Floppy brim, mesh to breath, UV rating for the Gods and alot cheaper than a Tilly.