Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please help to recommend a good light tent for jewelry photography

Hi,

A friend of mine is seeking advice which light tent is good for jewelry photography (such as ear rings, pendants, necklace, rings, etc).

I tried to DIY a lightbox for him but while the box is great for most objects, the setup is not good for jewelry as they are highly reflective.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks
raider

04-06-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

The last one of those I needed, I just took an old camping tent that had broken zippers (I got it virtually free for that reason), cut down the poles to what I wanted for length and used the white nylon fabric to make the tent.
04-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For photographing jewelry, light tents don't work that well...you need to see dark areas or the gems look pretty lifeless.

Believe it or not, jewelry is one of the most difficult forms of product photography to do well. I found that out the hard way when my wife wanted me to take photos of her handmade jewelry. Each type of gem needs a different technique to look good. Then you have the postprocessing to remove dust, fix backgrounds, shadows, etc...ended up around 1hr/photo for me and I still think they can be done better :-P
04-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Wheatfield and Kenyee.

Kenyee, any tips to share? I tried to do the "black ice" kind of image with the jewelry but the end results is really awful.

04-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I think a light tent is useful, since it eliminates reflections of objects in the studio (the camera, the photographer, light stands, the cup of coffee on the table beside the object being photographed...), but, you want to add some points of interest.
Do this with construction paper placed inside the tent with the object.
04-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Kenyee, any tips to share? I tried to do the "black ice" kind of image with the jewelry but the end results is really awful.
Lots of patience and lots of swearing...
Add black reflections...
04-08-2010, 02:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've found that dust is your worse enemy when it comes to photographing small flashy objects. Swiffer and latex gloves to prevent the oils from your fingers from touching helps.

04-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Swiffer leaves little fibers on jewelry...ask me how I know :-P <lots of swearing in background>
04-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's really a great use for alll those cheap foldey camp-chairs that are out there. Just drape a sheet over em. Apply lighting. Baddabing.
04-09-2010, 12:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help!!

My friend just told me that he bought the light tent from ebay. I will take a closer look at his light tent when it arrives and may just do a small review.

Thanks again
raider