Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Perrumpo Quote
So defensive. I said I like my Pentax Sling Bag. I have the bag from Pentax's webstore.
I don't see that I'm being defensive. I asked for clarification, because there is also this smaller Pentax sling bag:

I don't own many lenses, so I don't put it in that perspective. The bag just barely fits what I like to take with me, which is the K-x w/ kit lens, a zoom, a prime, PS, battery charger, a couple extra sets of batteries, some filters w/ cases, blower, cloth, and a couple small things.
Clearly my bag holds a lot more, which is why I inquired about the size.

Everyone's needs are different, so if you want to take your manual, for example, there's no nice place it fits. The bag IS small. It's like a shoulder bag turned into a sling, as opposed to being like a full backpack size.
It's very true that everyone's needs are different. I have never tried to fit the manual in my bag and I wouldn't buy a bag that fits a laptop. What I love about the Pentax sling bag is that it's very compact but so well laid out that it carries a lot more than one would think by looking at it. That's why I posted photos of how mine looks packed. I got some tips from other users about how to carry an extra lens in the main compartment and how to store the flash. Packing two lenses vertically and two horizontally in the bottom compartment was my own idea.

It's just an FYI to the OP.
Well. that's why we're here, to discuss camera gear and photography.

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-07-2010 at 11:05 AM.
04-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't see that I'm being defensive. I asked for clarification, because there is also this smaller Pentax sling bag:
No worries! I wasn't being that serious
04-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

No worries! I wasn't being that serious
Disclaimer: I didn't take that awful photo of the Pentax bag. I just linked it.
04-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

While this is not a dedicated camera bag, I've found this the best for my purposes, with a very similar kit to your own: Tsunami

I prefer the black version... camo's not my thing. I've seen them for around $50 on ebay, but I got mine for $25 at a local army surplus stores, and I've seen them for similar prices in others I've been to, so it's worth a trip to look.

When I need my full kit, I keep the K-x+18-55 in the top pocket (where there's still room for batteries or extra cards and an M 50mm f1.7, sears 135mm f2.8, 2 Pentax AF200S flashes, a vivitar 285 flash, a hotshoe radio trigger and three radio flash recievers and a couple flash stands in the bottom pocket. I also regularly attach a monopod or tripod to the outside, where there are numerous attachment points (after all, it's a military pack designed for carrying all sorts of guns and accessories and even gun-oriented tripods and monopods).

I find it to be extremely comfortable and I often almost forget it's there. I use it (with varying amounts of camera gear) for hiking, cycling, running, rock climbing, and pretty much any other active pursuit where I want to bring my camera. As an extra bonus it also comes with a hydration reservoir, which I can testify is very useful for any of those activities.

So that's another option to think about. That Kata bag looks very nice to me as well, though.

04-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
While this is not a dedicated camera bag, I've found this the best for my purposes, with a very similar kit to your own: Tsunami
I can see how that would work. However, DO NOT buy from Botach Tactical. Their awful merchant ratings are true. You might get lucky once, but you will not receive your order most likely.
04-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I can see how that would work. However, DO NOT buy from Botach Tactical. Their awful merchant ratings are true. You might get lucky once, but you will not receive your order most likely.
I'll take your word on it. I only linked to them as an example because they were the first to come up in a google search.

Ebay is probably a better source and nearby surplus stores are probably the best.
04-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Camera bag

Take a look at Kiesel bags bought their backpack large as a system bag also using a Kelty Treble messenger with photo insert from B&H

04-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm a big fan of the Lowe Pro Slingshot 100 or 200. It fits quite a lot of stuff for its size and can be had for $50+ new on Ebay. An advantage slings have over backpacks is that you can take out your camera almost instantly. Unfortunately it has no room for a tripod.
04-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #24
Veteran Member

You could try the KATA 3N1-20 or 3N1-30 bag.
It is a sling bag and a knapsack too!
Customer Image Gallery for Kata KT D-3N1-20 Sling/Backpack (Black)
The 20 is the medium sized bag and the 30 a larger bag.
They also offer the 3N1-10 which is the smallest of the bunch.
They use to have an attachment wherein you can strap your tripod to these bags too. I think, they discontinued it.