Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 05:53 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Hikimg Stick/Monopod

Check this from Lee Valley.

Telescoping Hiking Stick - Lee Valley Tools

I suggest the longer one - no stooping when used as a monopod..

I put on an inexpensive pan head that I had.
All that is really needed is a tilting head.

It's perfect for me.
Mickey

Last edited by mickeyobe; 04-21-2010 at 07:03 AM.
04-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

$5.90 + $7.49 shipping
Amazon.com: Lightweight Natural Wooden Walking Stick - Hiking Pole - 55 Inch: Sports & Outdoors

Add a hanger bolt at the top.

Thank you
Russell
04-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #18

Hi Omega Leader,
Check this out, you might like it. I have one and although it is not very stable as a tripod (although they never claim that it is one) I find it to be a fairly good monopod.
Lightweight, Travel Monopod Tripod Combination | TrekPods | Trek-Tech
Cheers
04-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The concept of a walking stick combined with a monopod is a little better than the execution. For the past three years I've hiked several dozen miles with an Austrian-made Komperdell co-branded with REI.

This is an excellent walking stick, with internal shock-absorption, which for those of us well into the second part of our first century is appreciated. As a monopod I rarely use it because at walking stick height it is too wobbly for a DSLR. I've found that an Ultrapod II is superior for on-trail use.

Generally I only use monopods in certain shooting contexts: sports, and some birds and wildlife with larger lenses. Many years ago I found a strong Korean knockoff that has held up well-enough.

M

04-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A couple more options for the melting pot.

Trek Pod - Go! is a dedicated mono pod / hiking pole supposedly developed by photographers. It has feet that fold out to form a tri-pod....however I suggest only ever use these on a flat stable surface and never with a tele photo lens. It comes in a handy travel bag and has various accessories if you need them. I have used mine a bit, but not overly keen on the magnetic head.

Gitzo GM1130-MT : My favourite multi purpose tool. It is light, strong, versatile....and discreet.
I can use it in an urban situation and it looks like a walking stick, I can go "off-road" and it does the job of hiking pole and mono pod beautifully. Highly reccommend it.
04-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #21
Forum Member

One possibility is to use the Hama Alpenstock.
hama.de | Detailansicht 2: 00004103 Hama Alpenstock-Stativ
04-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #22

Hi,

A couple of Years ago i did something very much like the DIY project that Russel sugessted in his post... I bought a very lightweight ballhead from Ebay, and attached it to my walking stick using a screw, so that I can easily remove it if I wanted to. The reason why I used a ballhead, is that I prefer to use a quick remove plate to, well, quickly mount and remove my camery from the monopod...

Bostjan

04-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caddis Quote
One possibility is to use the Hama Alpenstock.
hama.de | Detailansicht 2: 00004103 Hama Alpenstock-Stativ

This looks great, does anyone know where I can order one for shipping to the US at a reasonable rate? The few sources I've found want more for shipping than for the monopod/pole!
04-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
This looks great, does anyone know where I can order one for shipping to the US at a reasonable rate? The few sources I've found want more for shipping than for the monopod/pole!
Maybe bhphotovideo will help you. I see that they have some Hama products in their shop.