Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wlking Stick as a Monopod

Has anyone used any of the walking sticks as a monopod? I'm looking for one and notice a lot have threaded tripod mounts on the top.

Does anyone have any advice on good ones, bad ones or any others?

Thanks in advance.

04-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Re: Wlking Stick as a Monopod

Do you mean something like a trekking pole?
I found one by promaster ( model 6923 ) at a camera shop. It has antishock. I added a small ballhead ( Giottos MH 1004 ) and it works for me.
04-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yup, trekking pole, walking stick. Same animal.
04-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I like the little 'y' forks that come with trekking poles. A stiffer staff to go with might well be indicated for photographic use: I keep my eyes out for such, and will probably even eventually just find a wooden one (Or even cut down an orphaned ski pole) of the right size and mount a screw in that.

What I've found with the cheapest of trekking poles is that it's very handy to help me walk, and with the fork on there, can immediately be out of the way. Only does so much for steadiness, (though it can compensate for a lot of fatigue, etc.) but is generally about as little hassle for *that* as you could ask.

04-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a couple of different Tracks brand poles for that purpose. My everyday is a Sherlock Staff with an extension and I keep a Sherlock Travel Staff in the trunk of both (mine & wife's) cars. Since I need it as a walking stick for long walks or rough terrain it is always handy and is nearly as good as my Bogen monopod as a camera support.
04-11-2010, 06:18 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I do a lot of trail walking with my photo gear so maybe I can offer some help.

I've tried both a monopod and a walking stick. I currently use the walking stick and feel very comfortable with it.

I put the Manfrotto 234? (I think that is the number) monopod head with Kirk Clamp on both the mono pod and walking stick when I was trying to decide on which one to use. This is just my take on the two

The Manfrotto mono pod has a very thick handle, which makes it less comfortable to use on the trails, plus it is heavy. But no doubt it is very sturdy. I had considered a carbon mono pod but was afraid it would not hold up to rock hopping and other trail abuse. The big issue is really the hand grip which causes fatigue in my hand because it is so thick.

The walking stick with the Manfrotto head has a much more comfortable thinner grip, but the head does make it a bit top heavy. It's just not as balanced as it is with the little wood handle that comes with it. It is also lighter. However, it seems sturdy and stiff enough for general grab shots with my walk around lens. It also is holding up well to regular trail abuse. I've only used it a bit with my sigma 150 500 and the results are marginal on that end but that is probably more technique that equipment failure. For the DA 55-300, 16 45 or even the sigma 105 macro, the walking stick with head works quite well.

I also have used the little Y connectors that came with my walking stick. It worked well, but I always felt that there was a chance of putting too much pressure on the camera lens connection by resting the lens in the Y. Probably just being paranoid, but I stopped using it because of that.

My walking stick is pretty generic, and came from Cabelas. I dont think it was over 30 bucks. I'm sure there are better ones out there, but this seems to be doing the trick and I had it laying around anyway. I still carry the tripod on my back pack and use it when I want to use the sigma 150-500 or when I want to take my time and work slowly. I dont think the walking stock/monopod would ever replace my tripod, but it is convenient to use to just grab those quick snaps that are going to be gone in a fleeting moment.

Al
04-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_in_the_Shire Quote
I also have used the little Y connectors that came with my walking stick. It worked well, but I always felt that there was a chance of putting too much pressure on the camera lens connection by resting the lens in the Y. Probably just being paranoid, but I stopped using it because of that.
I really wouldn't worry on that score. Whether the rig rests on the tripod screw or lens, it's the same kind weight to the mount. If you were using a very heavy *lens* that's actually where you'd rather mount that, either way.

04-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I disagree - and here's my thinking...

By resting the lens on the Y on the mono pod, there is a tendency to push down on the camera to steady the shot up. It's only natural to exert some pressure on the camera to get your camera steady. You might not even know you are doing it, but in my mind, by exerting pressure on the camera, the lens is then having force applied to it from the bottom, prying it up. I think that over time that can't be good for the lens body mount.

Now, that's just my opinion, I've never broken a camera this way, but I have noticed that I was doing it, and it bothered me enough to stop. Your mileage might vary. I love my cameras and probably baby them too much. If they were kids I think they would be spoiled rotten.
04-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_in_the_Shire Quote
I disagree - and here's my thinking...

By resting the lens on the Y on the mono pod, there is a tendency to push down on the camera to steady the shot up. It's only natural to exert some pressure on the camera to get your camera steady. You might not even know you are doing it, but in my mind, by exerting pressure on the camera, the lens is then having force applied to it from the bottom, prying it up. I think that over time that can't be good for the lens body mount.

Now, that's just my opinion, I've never broken a camera this way, but I have noticed that I was doing it, and it bothered me enough to stop. Your mileage might vary. I love my cameras and probably baby them too much. If they were kids I think they would be spoiled rotten.
Aha. (testing a bit.) Hrm, I see. Yeah, that's not actually how the weight goes with me, is the difference: rather than applying much pressure downward, I'm *under* the camera, anyway, as usual, and the pole's just taking a bunch of the weight off. If I did bear down, this pole would tend to flex and spring, anyway, which wouldn't be very steady. End-result, not a significant difference between the fork and my hand under the lens.

(In fact, it's easily-illustrated by the way I actually will put my hand in the fork sometimes, to get at the zoom ring of one lens that actually doesn't fit very well: it doesn't change how much weight is on the camera or anything. Cause I'm basically holding it all the same way. )

I guess if you wanted, perhaps raising the pole just a tad might help discourage any excessive bearing-down.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-11-2010 at 04:51 PM.
04-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Why not just buy a good monopod and use it as a walking stick?

Mike
04-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #11
Inactive Account

You could bear down quite a bit on my waling stick and it would not flex. I would be concerned if I had one that did, in the places I go. It often supports a great deal of weight going up, down and over rocks, boulders, and crossing streams.

Like I said, your mileage may vary. I much prefer the mono pod heads, but if the Y support works for you, and you are comfortable using it, no one can argue with that
04-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
I already addressed that earlier. They work, but the hand grip is too thick. Most are twice the size of a walking sticks grip. Plus the are heavier. Carbon fiber is not practical as the end would probably break off if it got wedged between some rocks or roots.
04-12-2010, 01:28 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Leki series - Sierra Photo in particular- 1/4" screw in the top under the wooden ball - swap out the ball and put on your choice of camera mount. I have both ball and pano - both work.

Choice of ferules are available - I don't have snow so use a heavy duty rubber foot. Collapses for travelling and extends to metre and a half long -see here for product and here for somebody's longer review.
04-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I use a Leki walking stick, with a camera mount underneath a wooden ball head. I also have a Manfrotto heavy aluminum monopod that i use much more than the walking stick. The manfrotto is quick to adjust length because of its lever locks. The leki is slower to adjust length, partially because the legs aren't locked from turning necessitating holding both leg sections to tighten and lock the connection.

The Leki has a aluminum jam nut under the wooden ball that is tightened against the ball or pano head or the camera itself. I understand what the OP is saying, i would never take the Manfrotto on any kind of hike instead of walking sticks, or whatever they are called. its just too heavy, but i don't do much hiking these days. I don't know why, but i don't have too much confidence in the 1/4" threaded camera stud to the walking stick, as in i wouldn't go around with the walking stick and attached camera over my shoulder. For occasional use, its fine.

For the money, i think i would choose the Zipshot tripod (built from tent poles apparently) that Stevebrot recommended in a thread on this forum. Its running for $45 i think, and weighs less than half a lb, easy to carry. check on details. It only goes up 4 feet i think, but has a big advantage as a tripod vice just a monopod and includes a swaged on ball head. Steve and one or two others recommended it, several videos on youtube i think.
04-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote

Mike
Yea, my buddy bought a Manfrotto monopod and this thing is so beefy. It could very easily double as a walking stick and then some. lol