Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #1

Memory card "card not formatted" error

My 1st DS will not operate past the " card not formatted" error message.

If you remove the card the camera focuses and shoots, the image apears on the review screen screen and then the message appears "card not formatted"

The formatting command in the menus on cam does not work, the messagesimply re-appears.

I cannot upgrade the firmware as kindly suggested by some folks. I have tried new and alternate cards that work on other cams and on the PC reader. They produce the same message.I have also tried formattting the card on the PC, and a sucessfuly formatted card on the PC produced the same result.

Anyone experience this before? Am I simply on my way to the $100.00 per/hr store??

PS : Is a USB firmware upgrade possible without using the card? ?

Any clues are welcome at this point!
Thanks
Mick

04-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thread moved to the accessories. In the future, please don't post non-articles in the articles section

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mickc Quote
My 1st DS will not operate past the " card not formatted" error message.

If you remove the card the camera focuses and shoots, the image appears on the review screen screen and then the message appears "card not formatted"

The formatting command in the menus on cam does not work, the message simply re-appears.

I cannot upgrade the firmware as kindly suggested by some folks. I have tried new and alternate cards that work on other cams and on the PC reader. They produce the same message.I have also tried formatting the card on the PC, and a successfully formatted card on the PC produced the same result.

Anyone experience this before? Am I simply on my way to the $100.00 per/hr store??

PS : Is a USB firmware upgrade possible without using the card? ?

Any clues are welcome at this point!
Thanks
Mick
No. You need the card to update the firmware. I doubt the firmware is your problem. I assume you copied your firmware to a (PC) formatted card, and it still failed to load, Correct? If other cards exhibit the same behavior, I'm stuck for any suggestion other than a service check.. At this point I would be asking myself if the camera is worth fixing as the cost will likely exceed that of another camera.

02-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Someone send the guy a formatted card!

Edit: have you checked the pins?

02-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Sounds like it might be a case of hardware failure to me, esp since it fails to format any cards - did these cards work previously?
07-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Inactive Account

formatting K100d memory card

Hi
I just recently purchase from ebay and Henry's a 100d.
I couldn't get it passed the "memory card not formatted" thing either.
But it would let me access the menus.
After a considerable time of looking at them I discovered a menu with format on it. When I opened it it said format? something like that.
When I tried with a 4 gig card I got the same error message.
I used to have an old Fuji or Hp that would only support a 2 gig card. I tried it in the 100d and it just fomatted it and I was away.
Purhaps your memory card is just too big
07-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
An excellent point!!

To the original poster, are the cards you're trying SDHC cards or just SD cards. Try a low capacity SD card in your camera and see what happens.

I have a card reader like that, it won't work with SDHC cards.
07-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SDHC cards work fine in my DS. I think the last firmware update for the DS addressed SDHC cards.