Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
GPS Geo-tagging

I've finally found something to lust over. A friend has an item for his Nikon that fits on the hot shoe and tags every photo he takes with GPS coordinates.

I also WANT!! But I do not think Pentax has such thingy.

I was looking for something to effortlessly geo-tag all my images. The best I've seen so far is a Sony device (costs US$150 from Amazon) that will automatically tag photos based on recorded tracks, and on the time the photo was taken. All you have to do is to just set the clock on your camera precisely. Others require that you press a button on the receiver when you take photos while some have software that lets you assign photos to places on a GPS track.
An even worse situation is manually editing the EXIF data to put in the GPS coordinates. (Eeeek!!)

I think I'll go visit a Sony store to see if they have this thingy.

Cheers

04-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxie Quote
I've finally found something to lust over. A friend has an item for his Nikon that fits on the hot shoe and tags every photo he takes with GPS coordinates.

I also WANT!! But I do not think Pentax has such thingy.

I was looking for something to effortlessly geo-tag all my images. The best I've seen so far is a Sony device (costs US$150 from Amazon) that will automatically tag photos based on recorded tracks, and on the time the photo was taken. All you have to do is to just set the clock on your camera precisely. Others require that you press a button on the receiver when you take photos while some have software that lets you assign photos to places on a GPS track.
An even worse situation is manually editing the EXIF data to put in the GPS coordinates. (Eeeek!!)

I think I'll go visit a Sony store to see if they have this thingy.

Cheers
Best bet is a GPS datalogger and software that auto-geotags images (using the time from the GPS tracklog and the time the photo was taken) - there are quite a few software packages that do this, many of which are free.

As far as loggers, I'm very happy with the i-Blue 747A+, it's <$100 from semsons.com

Also this should be moved out of the lens discussion forum...
04-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use my garmin GPS, which I can program to write to the flash card of the GPS (micro SD) every second with track data.

When I get home, I simply download the SD to my hard disk, and use a program called GeoSetter to sync the camera files with the GPS track data.

THe program has adjustment features so that you don't even need to have exact time sync of camera to gps,

Once the files are sync'd then you can write the data to the exif. this is done as a batch process, and you have the option to either overwrite the origonal file, or rename your untouched origonal and save the modified file also.

The only drawback I see with this is that you need to be connected to the internet because the program uses mapquest for the maps to display location.

One thing you should do, is deliberately set a reference shot somewhere at perhaps the start of the day, so you can be certain the time vs location is correct.

The program does not need data by the second. you can program it to interpolate for up to an hour. This allows for reduced track logs, of perhaps one point every 5-10 seconds, or variable if the gps allows.

It is really quite simple, and since many people own a gps there is no need to have it in the camera
04-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I use my iPhone plus GeoSetter.

(And this doesn't belong in the Lens section)

04-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
Forum Member

My Blackberry does it automatically, if I want to know a location of a pic I just snap it with my K-x then snap the same pic with my BB phone and can later go back and see where that photo was taken, not ideal, but free
04-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TriCon Quote
My Blackberry does it automatically, if I want to know a location of a pic I just snap it with my K-x then snap the same pic with my BB phone and can later go back and see where that photo was taken, not ideal, but free
I have done this as well, what I really like is that itís free and relatively simple to use. I also have a Garmin that I could use, but the whole process sounds very complicated and I don't really need it that much to go and try and figure it out.
04-19-2010, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
I have done this as well, what I really like is that itís free and relatively simple to use. I also have a Garmin that I could use, but the whole process sounds very complicated and I don't really need it that much to go and try and figure it out.
its really very simple depending on GPS type

I have a GPS76CSx and the GPS automatically saves the track data to the sd card.

Other GPS units you have to download the track data through a cable to the garmin mapsource program.

From mapsource, just save the track log as a gpx file, and in geosetter (free download) run the program, tell it where the gpx file is, and let it do the work
04-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

For newer Garmins (like my Oregon 300), they appear as USB mass storage devices.

My datalogger is much more compact and sensitive though. It's pretty much:
Download track data with BT747, save to GPX
Open up geotagging program
Load up GPX
Point program to directory with pictures
Go!

One of the advantages of Geosetter is that it can actually geotag PEFs directly. None of the programs I use in Linux can do that, just JPEGs.

04-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
For newer Garmins (like my Oregon 300), they appear as USB mass storage devices.
My datalogger is much more compact and sensitive though. It's pretty much:
Download track data with BT747, save to GPX
Open up geotagging program
Load up GPX
Point program to directory with pictures
Go!
One of the advantages of Geosetter is that it can actually geotag PEFs directly. None of the programs I use in Linux can do that, just JPEGs.
the other advantage of GeoSetter is that you can make adjustments to accomodate clock differences between your GPS and the camera, as well as see exactly where the GPS thinks the photo was taken, on a map. This allows you to be really certain you were where you think you were when the shot was taken.

From there, it is a simple batch process just turn it loose and walk away
04-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Are you talking about this thing?

Jobo doubles and quadruples the storage on its photoGPS geotaggers -- Engadget

It doesn't say it is for Nikon and they have purged whichever camera they are using of markings.

Here is the manufacturers site:
http://www.jobo.com/web/photoGPS.447.0.html

Looks like it is a GPS and when you shoot it logs the shot then you hook the unit up to the computer and it matches the photos to the log.

Last edited by mikemike; 04-20-2010 at 10:55 AM.
04-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

That Jobo unit is expensive, must be hotshoe mounted, and only logs when the camera takes a shot.

It's easier to just have one long continuous tracklog, partly because you can use it for things other than geotagging, like "how far did I hike" and "what was the elevation profile of my hike". Even the cheapest dataloggers have enough memory for hours of continuous tracklogging.

i-Blue 747A+ Bluetooth GPS Data Logger Receiver (AGPS, Auto On/Off, 66 ch MTK v2, WAAS, Bluetooth, USB, Push to Log, 125,000 Waypoints) - GPS Data Logger is what I have. BTW, it's pretty much ALWAYS offered for that "sale" price, plus Semsons often has storewide sales on top of that price.
04-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #12
Inactive Account

But is there no solution for Pentax cameras that support automatic tagging into the EXIF of a DNG-file?
04-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nimrad Quote
But is there no solution for Pentax cameras that support automatic tagging into the EXIF of a DNG-file?
Geosetter probably does this too.

In fact, many packages that can't directly tag PEF probably can direct tag DNG.

I don't know since I don't use DNG. (K20D -> PEF is compressed but DNG is not).
04-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nimrad Quote
I use Lightroom and this plug-in to tag all of my geo-tagged pictures: Jeffrey Friedl's Blog Finally, Geoencoding in Lightroom! Announcing my GPS-Support Plugin

Easy to use and it's one of the very few that can add GPS to RAW files (via LR).
04-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
D W
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
I use Lightroom and this plug-in to tag all of my geo-tagged pictures: Jeffrey Friedl's Blog Finally, Geoencoding in Lightroom! Announcing my GPS-Support Plugin

Easy to use and it's one of the very few that can add GPS to RAW files (via LR).
Another vote for this LR plug in. Works perfectly so far with my download Garmin track file. (Rino530HCx)