Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Vivitar 285HV

I've had this item for several months, but haven't really used it. Some time ago, I got the feeling that it was flashing at full power regardless of the manual settings. I confirmed this by taking photos at all manual settings with the same exposure, and all photos were the same. Am I missing something here, or do I have a defective unit?

04-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So you're setting the power manually on the ring on the front of the camera where it says "Vari Power", right? You should have the colored "Auto" settings, M (full power), 1/2, 1/4, and 1/16.

If the 1/2, 1/4, and 1/16 all give the same result, I'd try pulling the "Vari Power" knob off and plug it back in a few times to clean the contacts. At least, you can do that on the old 285s like the one I have, i don't know if it's still removable on the new ones.

If that doesn't work, I'd ask Vivitar what's up with it. Maybe it's still under some kind of warranty.

Last edited by unixrevolution; 04-20-2010 at 01:27 PM.
04-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, but I've tried the knob idea. I don't recall if I have the receipt, and can't remember how long I've had it. I may have to just live with the full power. I have a Sunpak 383, and I wish I could find another one.
04-21-2010, 05:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oldjohn Quote
Thanks, but I've tried the knob idea. I don't recall if I have the receipt, and can't remember how long I've had it. I may have to just live with the full power. I have a Sunpak 383, and I wish I could find another one.
Calling Vivitar still can't hurt...they may have a quick tip that'll fix it for free, or be willing to fix it cheaply, warranty or no. I've had a couple experiences like that from other companies.