Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 04:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_in_the_Shire Quote
I've always been amazed that people spend all this money on gear to take nature photos and yet wont spend 50 bucks on a few items that could save their life. Like a flashlight, compass, first aide kit, and small survival ...
... 357 magnum.

Thank you
Russell

04-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Flashlights are an absolute necessity. I have a small maglight in my camera bag and a 6 D cell maglight in my truck for when I want to light paint.
04-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always carry a little police search light, (looking) It's a Scorpion Streamlight from when I was being a handyperson. Brighter than a big Maglite and of course, much smaller. Is always very useful. Runs on CR123 type batteries, which are expensive and only run a few hours, (Well, actually, mine's over ten years old: I think most are LED's now and more efficient.) ...but in practice, they last well over a year: typically one only needs a few seconds at a time for very long stretches. Once in a while, a few minutes.

This was expensive (maybe fifty dollars) and kind of special back then: now I notice there are a lot more choices in things like this: if I had to replace this now, I could go cheaper. (Though, really, now that I look, for some eleven years carried almost daily, this little fellow looks almost brand new. )
04-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

This is the one in my bag, Arc AAA.

Photo from site.

I also am now carrying a Motorola Driod so this app is on it.

Thank you
Russell

04-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Hee. I have a little old AAA maglite about that size which I used to keep around. I've been trying to coax it open for a battery change, on occasion for some time.

Now I have a little voice in the back of my mind saying, "Use force, Luke....."

*taking out hobby vise.* One minute.
04-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery
I always carry a minimag to help me find things in my bag in the dark...
04-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Hrm. (after some wrenching open. ) Hrm. This teeny Maglite is clearly suffering from an advanced case of batteriteriological explodiosis.

04-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hrm. (after some wrenching open. ) Hrm. This teeny Maglite is clearly suffering from an advanced case of batteriteriological explodiosis.

I had that happen with a Mini Mag Light. Tried a lot of things, some not so safe, and finally had to admit defeat.

Thank you
Russell
05-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
... 357 magnum.

Thank you
Russell
Russell, my Ruger SP101 in .357 does put out a lot of light but I find it rather fleeting and it tends to scare the horses every time you turn it on.

RML, I've had that happen to a mini maglite and after I got the batteries out, I poured Coca-Cola in and let it clean out the residue from the batteriteriological explodiosis. No guarantee but it worked for me.

CW
05-08-2010, 02:45 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too consider a torch to be a must have accessory when you're out in the world..

I use a led lenser MT7 which is pretty damn powerful, and it has a strobe function that can render someone's night vision completely useless; useful if you're confronted by thieves. I also use a UV torch because it doesn't kill my night vision when i'm out at night in the countryside.
05-08-2010, 03:23 AM   #26

Photos: Albums
I too keep a flashlight in my bag.. always have.
it's a small thing with 8 LEDs and runs on 3 AAA batteries, the good thing about it is that it also has a very powerful lazer pointer I use to help with autofocus from long distances..
..and it doesn't mess up my human nightvision.
but since it is summer now, here way up in the north atlantic, there is no need for a flashlight.. bright almost all night aswell
05-08-2010, 06:32 AM   #27

Other items I carry. I shoot mostly strolling around town so I carry doggie treats for dogs and lollipops for kids. Living in the tropics and being a klutz, I also carry antibiotic ointment and band-aids. I always have a bandana. I have a bean bag I sometimes use in, for example, churches where tripods are prohibited.

I also have a new LED flashlight and a little keyring LED light that I use making my way home after dark.

I sometimes give a moments thought to bags and other accessories sitting in my closet that looked great and just didn't work for me. Aaargh!
05-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #28

one $5 9LED one in my EDC bag (when i find a nice cheap holster, i'll start carrying it on my belt). i generally carry a $15 1W LED one if i know i'll need more power.
05-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
Russell, my Ruger SP101 in .357 does put out a lot of light but I find it rather fleeting and it tends to scare the horses every time you turn it on.

RML, I've had that happen to a mini maglite and after I got the batteries out, I poured Coca-Cola in and let it clean out the residue from the batteriteriological explodiosis. No guarantee but it worked for me.

CW
Hee. I'll maybe give that a try. I forgot about it until I saw this thread again just now. Don't usually have Coke around, maybe some vinegar. Next step is to be sure I'm dealing with bulbs that are still good, anyway. I don't remember what was wrong when I first found I couldn't open it.

I'd like to get my sweetie a light, anyway, so maybe I'll go shopping.
05-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Flashlights are an absolute necessity.
Yeah I agree, a fleshlight is an absolute necessity out alone in the wild