Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I need a new bag.

My sling bag doesn't seem to be doing what I need to do. So I need another bag. I'm looking for a messenger style bag.

Needs to hold:

-K-X (or maybe even something as big as a K-7) + kit lens
-55-300mm sized zoom
-a teleconverter (size of a 50mm)
-a 50mm
-a flash unit
-miscellaneous items (such as usb cable, extra SD, batteries, lens cleaners.

Key factor is easy of use (as in taking things out and stuff)

Hope someone can recommend me something.

04-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Are you looking for a real messenger bag (laptop shape) or a shoulder bag (camera bag)?

For a messenger, I went with the Tenba Large Photo/Laptop Bag. Watch the video to see the features.

For a shoulder bag, it's hard to know where to begin, but I prefer Tamrac System bags. The link shows the different carrying capacities. I like their quality and features more than Lowepro, and they have more accessory organization than Kata.

Last edited by Perrumpo; 04-24-2010 at 05:46 PM.
04-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Perrumpo Quote
Are you looking for a real messenger bag (laptop shape) or a shoulder bag (camera bag)?
Uhh... not really sure, just one that has one strap and goes on one shoulder but isn't one of those slings that goes onto your back.
04-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Uhh... not really sure, just one that has one strap and goes on one shoulder but isn't one of those slings that goes onto your back.
Ok. I edited my post linking to an example of each.

04-25-2010, 05:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

What I did is get a real messenger bag, NOT made for a camera, and purchased a 15$ insert (Tenba makes one for 20$, eBay lists a few for 15$) and pur the insert in the messenger bag. It's perfect as far as shape is concerned, it didn't cost a lot, it doesn't look lile a camera bag, and it's customizable.
04-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Everyone needs a different bag. I can only relate my own experience. After buying, loving, using and then getting tired of my Crumpler shoulder bag I set out to find something more comfortable. I too did not have the luxury of stores in my area so did a lot of online research and eventually bought one when I was in Canada and finally had a chance to compare in the flesh.

I think you should maybe think about how it will feel to carry all that gear on a shoulder bag. This does depend on how long you will be carrying it, but I found shoulder bags to be annoying. Also, they don't work so well on a bike. So I went for a rucksack / backpack.

One of my main criteria was that I needed a bag to use as carry-on luggage. With recent restrictions this means something that will be less than 10kg and 40 x 20 x 55 cm. To expedite airport travel I don't check camera gear. So it needed to be large enough for all my camera and recording gear plus personal essentials.

To cut a long story short (full details with pix here), I bought the Kata DR-467 which is 1 cm over the size limit but weighs under 1.5 kg.

One year on I am loving it. The only thing I wish for is a proper way to carry a tripod, but as I rarely do it doesn't kill me. I never use my Crumpler x Million Dollar Home.
04-26-2010, 01:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There ain't shops where you live? If there are, take your gear and fit it.

Make sure that it will fit easily in all configurations. E.g the longest lens with TC mounted on the body should fit with the other lenses. But also e.g. the 50mm on the body and all the other lenses and TC loose should fit. It's highly annoying to have to take e.g. the TC off just because the combination will not fit in the bag and you know that you're going to need it 5 minutes later. And check that you can securely hook a tripod on it.

Years ago, I could throw away a tripod after it slipped out of its straps and a piece of plastic broke off
04-26-2010, 05:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
There ain't shops where you live?
There aren't shops many places. The nearest I would have to go, for example is a day trip to Dublin. And even there I would not find, in all the stores, a selection as decent as in one single store I tried in Canada. So, like the OP, I do almost all my shopping and research online.

04-26-2010, 06:08 AM   #9

I can recommend a Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home - at least the older version. I can fit a K20D with grip and just about any lens attached (including a Tamron 70-200 or DA 60-250)-albeit a tight one with grip attached, one to two other lenses, flash, and other accessories.

One nice feature about Crumplers are they do not look like a camera bag - sure their colors are a bit funky. I'd rather have unique colors than a bag that is black, looks like a camera bag, and screams for someone to take it at the first opportunity.

The new design has two front panel clasps and less of a velco field, so you don't get that shrill ripping noise in a quiet environment as on the older models. Also, the size of the bag is pretty impressive; it doesn't protrude much from the body and is easy to control and watch in crowded urban environs.
04-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If you don't mind red you may still be able to pick up one of these in person in the Toronto area for ~ $20+ tax: Large Versa Bag (Red), Camera Bag, Versa Bag, Large Bag, SIG Electronics

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/76536-very-nice-crumpler-7mdh-clone-$35-00-shipped.html

A bunch of people here on the forum picked them up when there was a choice of colours (red, black, green). I have a green one and while it may be a little large for your needs they are surprisingly well made.
04-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
If you don't mind red you may still be able to pick up one of these in person in the Toronto area for ~ $20+ tax: Large Versa Bag (Red), Camera Bag, Versa Bag, Large Bag, SIG Electronics

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/76536-very-nice-crumpler-7mdh-clone-$35-00-shipped.html

A bunch of people here on the forum picked them up when there was a choice of colours (red, black, green). I have a green one and while it may be a little large for your needs they are surprisingly well made.
Wow, thanks man, pacific mall is pretty close. Darn, though... I'd prefer a black one... I'll go to the shop and see how the red one is. Thank you, this might be pretty good for me, for a cheap price!
04-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It's probably a bit too big for your needs, but I have a LowePro Stealth Reporter 400 AW. They have smaller sizes that may fit your needs. Things I like about this line of bags:

- good organization and pockets
- secure in city environments (buckle and zipper to main compartment discourages thieves)
- fast access in other environments (don't zip, just use the buckle)
- quick access slash zip on top (quickly removed camera)
- rain shell
- camera insert is removable for those days you want to carry a spare jacket and a couple of primes
- big shoulder strap and pad
- waist strap helps keep bag secure when moving fast and helps distribute some of the load to your hips
- smart design details like a carry handle attached to the sides of the bag (as opposed to the top) so the bag won't fly open if you pick it up with the top not secured.

My negatives are:
- it's boxy, not body hugging like a typical messenger bag. can get in the way in tight quarters
- not deep enough to hold a DA50-135 mounted on camera without reversing the hood

Overall, a solid companion.
04-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks John!

Guys, I think I've seen what I really really want. Either a Lowepro - Stealth Reporter D400 AW

Or...Tenba - Messenger: Camera Bag

They both look really really good. The only thing that draws me towards the lowepro is that it has a waist strap...