Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2010, 12:21 AM   #1

Fancier tripods, spot the differnce?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Having a difficult time deciding on a tripod.
Looking to get a reasonably good tripod to use with k10d heaviest lens is currently my kiron 105mm macro.

Found the "fancier" range of tripods on ebay, which look like a good deal, esp considering everything local in NZ is either overpriced low quality tripods or manfrotto/gitzo etc. So it looks cost effective to get one of these from ebay shipped out to me.
Only difficulty I'm having is that there are over 20 different tripods!

I'm used to tripods with three sets of "flip lock" locking mechanisms on the legs (4 sections).

The two models that look like a match are: FT6694T, and the FT-6828T. Leaning towards the ft-6828t.

The brand is "fancier" made by WEIFENG.

FT-6694T

http://cgi.ebay.com/...efid=store&ssPageName=STORE:HTMLBUILDER:SIMPLEITEM

FT-6828T

most likely this combo deal FT-6828T and FT-6665H Fluid Drag Ball Head

It's the old story of when you want to replace your old $150(nz) tripod which is no longer functioning to requirements, and you gradually creep up the price spectrum getting more and more away from your original scope.

Still I would like to get something that will last longer than a year, and have decent performance.. I don't want anything too expensive because it will get some abuse and I would feel guilty breaking something too expensive.

These carbon tripods I'm hoping will have the lightweight advantage, and be decent quality. Not sure if they have toe spikes, which would be a negative.

Which would you choose?

Thanks

07-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #2

What wefink of WEIFENG

Having bought a Sigma 120-400 and headed to Kenya.My gear needed an up grade .
My camera bag was FANCIER and although it had some good Ideas it didn't last very long before stitching started to come apart.
My 190XB Manfrotto was not up to such a large lens and I bought, from Photo and Video a Giottos 9371B.
This has lever lock not twist lock leg adjustments, that my partners tripod has.The twist locks are time consuming ,Lock direction is reverse to our (normal way of thinking)and not at all positive much to her announce.
Especialy when you see from a few meters away the tripod that had been setup for a few minutes already.The leg slowly dropping down and the new D300 getting closer to the wet ground.
That was a Benro another of the Chinese copies of other quality tripods.
My Tripod has play in the centre shaft which when using a large lens allows sideways movement.
As it is only supported at the top of the shaft,this is repairable,of cause at a cost to me.
And how many pictures of Elan or Cheater in low light. But what would a better one have cost me in the first place.
I think all else will last more than a year.
So I have not tried a WEIFING or Fancier
But here is a few things to consider.
07-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #3

Fancier Tripods.

The tripod with the twist lock legs is an INDURO Not a BENRO.
Humble Apologies to BENRO.
07-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ARFA-MO Quote
The tripod with the twist lock legs is an INDURO Not a BENRO.
Humble Apologies to BENRO.
Induro = Benro - 90% of their product lines have exact matches to each other, I'm fairly certain they come from the same factory. Also, Adorama Flashpoint and the Amvona Dynatran tripods also appear to come from the same factory and have product line matches. (The Amvonas, however, appear to be the factory rejects no one else was willing to put their name on.)

I vastly prefer the twistlocks to the fliplocks.

07-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote

I vastly prefer the twistlocks to the fliplocks.
Same here. Much easier to more finely adjust each leg height via screw type.
07-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

None of the links work!
Listing has been removed!