Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-01-2010, 07:14 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by matam Quote
don't know if you'll have real advantages in camera when using a class 10 card.
I own two SDHC, a fujifilm class 6 8GB and a sandisk ultra II class 4 4gb, and they both work flawlessy with my k-X (including video recordig and burst shoot), i cannot discern between the two when shooting and i don't feel any speed difference.
I think the difference should be obivious when you transfer file from the card to the PC
I tend to agree for my use as well. Add to it the fact that I seldom use burst mode or video, and I'm not really all that worried about class 10. I bought into the speed trip and have a couple of the Sandisk Extreme 30mb/s around, just in case, but the others seem to do just fine.

05-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Camgen Quote
Almost pulled the trigger on buying the Transcend SDHC class 10, but someone on Amazon customer review reported that on his Pentax K-X it randomly corrupted images and the vendor/seller also confirmed that other K-X users have the same problems. Hmmm I wonder if future updates will correct this.

Amazon.com: The Kyle Family "goog...'s review of Transcend 4GB Class 10 SDHC Card (TS4GSDHC10)
The latest firmware update has corrected the problem.
05-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #18
Inactive Account

it's not that important but does make a slight difference

Amazon.com: Panasonic RP SDW08GU1K - Flash memory card - 8 GB - Class 10 - SDHC: Electronics

"13 of 13 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars Great card, especially for the price, January 14, 2010
By tela (UT, USA) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Panasonic RP SDW08GU1K - Flash memory card - 8 GB - Class 10 - SDHC
I've had a few Panasonic SD cards and have always enjoyed their performance and exceptional reliability.
I tend to shoot with 8 GB cards mostly because they allow a lot of shooting without the risk of putting all your pictures on one card.

I purchased this card and a SanDisk Extreme Class 10 8GB SDHC card and I will give a quick comparison of the two.

Panasonic Pros:
- Looks great. The bright face and case make the card easier to find when it's buried in your camera bag.
- Has a Memo section on the front and back of the card for labeling purposes. (Although the back part is black)
- Includes a nice-looking sliding case. (Although it is bulkier than the standard cases other SD cards have)
- Priced substantially lower than the equivalent SanDisk.
- Made in Japan (The SanDisk is made in China)
- Very fast read/write speeds.

Cons:
- Not as fast as the SanDisk, although it doesn't claim to be.

The Panasonic states up to 22 MB/s, whereas the SanDisk claims up to 30 MB/s.

The warranty on the Panasonic is 10 years while the SanDisk has a lifetime warranty. But that is pretty much irrelevant since these cards are only usable for a few years before they are too small or too slow.

My comparison test was shooting with my Pentax K-7 which does 5.2 frames per second. I shot JPG 1/100 of a second and the average file size was 9MB. I was able to shoot 53 shots over a 25 second period with about 12 seconds of writing following. This is quite a bit faster than my previous Panasonic Class 6 cards.

With the SanDisk I was able to shoot 67 shots over 25 seconds with 9 seconds of writing afterward. The SanDisk was clearly faster but unless you are doing constant HD movie recording or using burst mode all the time, you would never notice the difference. The Panasonic is more than fast enough for all normal shooting.

I can't say the difference in cost is worth the extra speed of the SanDisk. At the time of this review the Panasonic ($42) is $15-$20 cheaper than the SanDisk.
Overall I highly recommend this card. Like other Panasonic cards I've owned, I expect it will be extremely reliable. "
05-11-2010, 05:44 AM   #19

K20d SDHC compatibility (from pentax support)

I was wondering if the new SDHC cards would be compatible with the K20d,

Instead of searching I asked directly to the service support, this is the answer:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your enquiry.

We kindly inform you, that as long as the newest firmware is installed on the camera, SDHC memory card (any type) will work.
The maximum capacity of the card is 32GB.

In order to download the firmware, you need to visit the following website:
Latest K20D Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

I hope that your question has been answered to your satisfaction.
Should you have further questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

When replying, please make sure this email is included.

With kind regards,

Pawel Jedrzejczak
Pentax Digital Camera Support Team

04-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #20
Giveaway winner!

Patriot SDHC class 10 on K20D

Hi,

I just bought the patriot sdhc class 10 16Gig
and on my k20d, it is damm slow
i cant do bracketing, it fills the buffer up then i have to wait a few seconds to continue, and visualising the pictures also takes more time than with my sandisk extreme III
very anoying
i wonder if a firmware update would help
i measured 17MB/s read on my pc, which is pretty good
havent measured write yet

... dear pentax, would you have a 1.05 firmware for me to enhance compatibiliy with patriot class 10 cards..... thank you

PL
04-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by phler2 Quote
Hi,

I just bought the patriot sdhc class 10 16Gig
and on my k20d, it is damm slow
i cant do bracketing, it fills the buffer up then i have to wait a few seconds to continue, and visualising the pictures also takes more time than with my sandisk extreme III
very anoying
i wonder if a firmware update would help
i measured 17MB/s read on my pc, which is pretty good
havent measured write yet

... dear pentax, would you have a 1.05 firmware for me to enhance compatibiliy with patriot class 10 cards..... thank you

PL
was this the LX (fancy black design) version? if so, there are reports that these have some performance issues. I would guess that you bought them because they are darn cheap. personally, you would had been better off with a class 6 Transcend card.