Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2014, 12:43 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
does tenpa makes the 1.36 adaptable to all camera makes like pentax? saw those those listing in ebay selling the 1.36 says for canon and nikon. no mentioning of pentax.

10-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought the tenpa 1.36x a few months ago. It was a lucky purchase, a dubious ebay seller who was listing them 99p start and who has now disappeared. But I did well out of him/her. It was described as for pentax and came with the relevant plastic adapter to fit the vf on the camera.
The tenpa works for me. Like a couple of the contributors to this thread I have strong myopia, but what you can bear in mind is that these have inbuilt -1 diopter correction. Although I was worried that this with the -2.5 on my K-r wouldn't work in fact the VF is sharp. I have normally been using a -3 diopter correction lens on the VF.
I don't recommend glasses with these. They work best by getting your eye right up to the magnifier. One of the side nbenefits is yur are a bit more spaced away from the rear of the camera so you don't really squish your nose. I can see everything pretty well with just a bit of movement of my eye relative to the magnifier. For me it's about the right compromise. If the mag isn't sufficient, you don't see much benefit. If it's too much, the vf is too vignetted, and with the 2x old asahi magnifier I tried for a while, too dark, in fact that one didn't work for me. It's built in focus/diopter adjust is great, but its designed to flip out of the way most of the time, but then I don't have the diopter correction I need.
I also have a 2x tenpa, that's an angled one which I've used a bit for macro and birding with the camera eg on a wall. 2x gives even better focussing accuracy, most specifically when able to to get a good edge in view with my split prism vf screen, but it was difficult to see the settings etc through the vf. Basically focus only with the camera already set.
The tenpa lives on my K-r now.
10-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #18

and how much did you pay for your 1.36x?
10-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I could tell you .... but then I would have to k1ll you..!!!

10-25-2014, 08:56 PM   #20

oh well....what to do then?
10-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can suggest that the typical price of the Tenpa - ~ 30 odd in UK - is quite reasonable ... its very decent optically and in its construction. These comments on dpreview reflect similar thoughts to my own.
Bit of browsing - no tenpas for pentax!
but I did find this which looks similar/same.
1.3x Magnifier Viewfinder eyecup for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus Sony DSLR | eBay

Last edited by marcusBMG; 10-26-2014 at 09:41 AM.
10-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
I have a Tenpa 1.36X for Pentax. They do still exist. Got mine off eBay some time ago.
I bought it from this eBay seller in Hong Kong. Cost me $US40.

Last edited by rawr; 10-26-2014 at 02:36 PM.
11-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
I can suggest that the typical price of the Tenpa - ~ 30 odd in UK - is quite reasonable ... its very decent optically and in its construction. These comments on dpreview reflect similar thoughts to my own.
but I did find this which looks similar/same.
I think Nikon-sized eyepieces fit Pentaxes, actually, though my memory fails me to say for sure: someone else's does, anyway.

05-14-2017, 01:03 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Hello,
I bought a goldeneye tenpa x1.22 magnifier to compare it to my Pentax O-ME53 one on Pentax K-1. I was afraid to have made a mistake. I have to admit that, despite of a much higher price, the Tenpa magnifier is better:
- a little more darker,
- but a better accurate tool in every situation.
Kind regards...
07-20-2017, 12:12 AM   #25

teiki arii, what do you mean by saying Tenpa to be "a better accurate tool in every situation"? Does Tenpa just have a better construction or there is a visible difference in nailing the focus in comparison to O-ME53?
07-20-2017, 07:43 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
teiki arii, what do you mean by saying Tenpa to be "a better accurate tool in every situation"? Does Tenpa just have a better construction or there is a visible difference in nailing the focus in comparison to O-ME53?
"there is a visible difference in nailing the focus in comparison to O-ME53"