Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How often does memory cards break?

Ladies and gentlemen,

I've often heard and read people say and write things like:

"Keep your memory cards no bigger than 8 gigs. It is better to have more cards and swap them out than risk a card failure and lose all your images that are on ONE CARD!"

"I recommend that you get several cards with less storage rather than a single card with a huge storage capacity."

I usually carry just two or three myself. I have owned a lot of them and I've never had one that failed. Maybe I've been lucky. How often does it happen? What are your experiences?

Just because I've never tried it I'll create poll and not just a discussion (but please write and discuss also). Just fill in the closest percentage based on your own experience and collection of cards. Just technical breakdowns due to normal usage and of course not "the time I put it in the micro owen" or "once, I hit it with a hammer". Please think before you answer It would be nice with info about what types and brand that have failed but that would be quite a messy poll so I'll settle for this now.

Regards, Christian

Last edited by cofra; 04-30-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Tried to correct some spelling :)
04-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zero. Never had it happen. I don't buy junk cards either. I fail to see the point in spending thousands of dollars on camera equipment and then trying to cheap the most important part (the card to save the photos to). I will never understand it.

04-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi cofra,

I've been shooting digital for over 10 years now, and have always had cameras that took SD cards. I've used A-DATA, Rytek, Transcend, Corsair, Panasonic, and now use Sandisk Extreme III (20Mb/sec) in my K20 and K-7. I always bought either the fastest, or next to fastest cards I could get, and relied on user reviews to get the most reliable ones -- a lifetime warranty was also a plus. I've had no outright failures and very few individual shots that were corrupted in literally hundreds of thousands of images, and the great majority of the corrupted images seem to have come from deleting images while still in the camera. Obviously, I don't do that anymore.

I delete images in the card reader after downloading them to the computer, and occasionally reformat a card in-camera as an additional precautionary measure that seems like a good idea. My cards are always either in an OEM case, a camera, a card reader, or in my hand moving from one device to another. I don't really consider them to be fragile, but treat them as if they were.

Scott
04-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In my previous Samsung camera, I had one 4gb Seagate Compact Flash card and one 2gb PNY card. The 4gb Seagate card failed within 3 months. Reformatting did nothing for it. Got another one, same brand, identical. It had a shorter life span than the previous.

I switched to PNY. My previous card failures pushed me into buying more cards. Two 1gb CF, and six 2gb CF cards. No problems.

Upgraded to my Pentax last September, and now carry five 4gb SDHC, and one 16gb SDHC card. All PNY. The 16gb never gets used. It is a backup just in case I run out of space.

(I carry lots of cards because you never know what will happen, or where you may need them. Doing so proved to be a good idea during Hurricane Ike when we had no electricity for 2 weeks and destruction all around.)

And, cards are cheap nowadays. I remember paying $100 for a 512mb card years ago. Now, $100 will easily get you 16gb of space.

04-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I only have one card that has ever had an issue and that issue is related to heat. If the card get too hot, it stops working. The card has gotten too hot in a camera on a really hot day, 90 plus degree F. This is an older 2Gb SD card.

I personally buy cards based on sweet spot pricing. That has been 8Gb for a while now.

Thank you
Russell
05-01-2010, 07:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for answering... it's really interesting to hear. But I must say that it makes me think more about if there's big quality differences between brands and different types, SDHC, Compact flash and so on. It's hard to tell just by looking at them

Thanks again.
Regards, Christian
05-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I had one 'break' on holiday. Camera just said that there were no pictures on the card. I could recover and have not used it after that. I consider it broken.

This was an XD card; I think make was Fuji.
05-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I use quality cards. I use 4 GB for the K200d and 8 GB & 4 GB for the K20d. I wouldn't have a problem with larger cards for video applications.

05-02-2010, 05:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Your poll options are confusing and more precise than I want to work out. But: I've never had a pro-level Sandisk card fail, but I've lost a Lexar one, and my neighbor had a failure with a consumer-level Sandisk card.

And I've had several xD cards (Olympus and Fuji brand both) go.

Honestly, I'm more worried about user error or physical loss than the card itself failing. And I've had both of those things happen!
05-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Your poll options are confusing and more precise than I want to work out. But: I've never had a pro-level Sandisk card fail, but I've lost a Lexar one, and my neighbor had a failure with a consumer-level Sandisk card.

Honestly, I'm more worried about user error or physical loss than the card itself failing. And I've had both of those things happen!
Yes, I know Matt... it's not a perfect poll. I don't really think it's possible to do one with the options on the forum, but at the same time I'm not an very experienced forum user. I would be more then glad to get advice on how to do one.

And yes, losing them/theft is probably a lot more common then failure... but human errors is really another subject.

Thanks for answering.

Regards, Christian
05-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote

I have lost a pro level SanDisk card as well . . . as in I don't know where it is.
05-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I've had a small piece fall off my Sandisc. The narrow bit between a couple of connectors. I still use it fine.
05-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I voted (zero).

However, it seems every poll has some basic flaw, I think. It makes us do math :-) This one is the failure percentage values.

If you have one card and it fails 1 time = 100%.
2 cards, one failure = 50%
3 cards, one failure = 33.33%
4 cards, one failure = 25%
5 cards, one failure = 20%
10 cards, one failure = 10%
20 cards, one failure = 5%
50 cards, one failure = 2%

It would take an owner of 100 cards with one failure to get a 1% rate, so where do the less-than-one rates come in? Who has 400 cards?

Also, I suppose you could have 1 card and it failed multiple times, but then shame on you.

Last edited by SpecialK; 05-02-2010 at 08:29 PM.
05-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I voted (zero).
It would take an owner of 100 cards with one failure to get a 1% rate, so where do the less-than-one rates come in? Who has 400 cards?
I myself is not professional but counting all compact cameras, DSLR's, mobile phones and the memory cards that have been used in them it's around 100. The alternatives below 1% is just there because I thought most votes would end up in that area and that people in here may be advanced users that may have owned many cards in their life. A 1-100 scale may have been enough but then I may have gotten complaints about resolution in the lower parts

I'll say it again, the poll is not perfect... but I can't change it now

Thanks for voting and commenting.

Regards, Christian
05-03-2010, 02:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think, the poll should differentiate between high quality cards (like Sandisk Ultras and Extremes) on the one hand and cheap discount brands on the other:

I hade "0%" failure on Sandisk Ultras and Extremes, but "50%" failure on cheap discount cards. That is a couple of years agao and I gave up completely on cheap cards.

Ben