Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #1

K20D issues

Hi,

Unfortunately I seem to have a serious problem with my k20d. I just wanted to ask for opinion on these forums before I send it back to seller.

The isues are rather difficult for me to explain, but Ill try anyway.

It usually happens after camera is switched on after lets say a day of inactivity.

When I take the first shot nothing happens. There shoul be preview displayed when the shot is taken but it does not happen. When I try to shoot more shots it look like something is being written on the card but still no preview. It also seems like there something wrong with the mirror. Its up too long.

When I turn the camera off and on again it seems to be somewhow locked. No buttons work, I dont have an access to any menu or preview. The only thing helping is taking battery out for a few seconds and putting it back again.

It usually works after that again with no problem.... until the next longer inactivity period.

I have attached some samples of "images" written to the card when there is led flashing (meaning something is being written onto the card but no preview)...

I am affraid I will have to send it back...

Thanks for any ideas...

Tom

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
04-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #2

Tom, what brand of SD card are you using? Have you tried another brand?

I personally have had a "purple banding" issue on SOME images until I changed brand. I am currently using Patriot 16GB class 6 and the problem disappeared.

Good luck. xGene
04-21-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This issue seems far too severe to be SD card-related. I think you should send your K20D back for servicing.
04-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
To be honest I am at the moment using one of "bonus" cards from Digital-Rev. Its A-data 8Gb class 6 Turbo...

Now... I hope its a card issue...

Besides Patriot which ones would you recommend?

Thx for quick reply

Tom

04-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

SEND IT BACK!!!!!

Yikes Scarry.

Ben
04-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #6

Respectfully, I would not discard the SD card issue just yet... These are computers! albeit small ones... Try the following: enable "shutter without SD Card" in the menu (... it reads something like that...) and remove the card from the camera and try to reproduce the problem.

xGene

edit: Lexar Pro and SanDisc are supposed to be good quality, although the problem I was describing above occurred with a SanDisc Extreme.
04-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Lexar Pro and SanDisk Ultra are some of the more reliable brands on the market right now. You could go with those.

04-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #8

Uh huh!

I bought an 8gb card for my K20D and had similar problems. Flashing light, long write times,locked camera and sometimes no image recorded.

I changed SD cards and all is good.

Change SD cards first before you send your camera back.

Good luck.

PK
04-22-2008, 12:18 AM   #9

$250 plus shipping? Why not buy a new updated body and sell the old one? Good grief!
04-22-2008, 12:27 AM   #10

Original Poster
Sorry, John B i dont get it?? What updated body you are talking about? $250???
04-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by tmalkiew Quote
Sorry, John B i dont get it?? What updated body you are talking about? $250???
You can buy a new K10D for around $600. Sell your old one for $350.
04-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #12

Original Poster
that's k20d

anyway, thanks for everyone's advice. I'm testing different cards now so far so good
04-23-2008, 05:04 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by tmalkiew Quote
that's k20d

anyway, thanks for everyone's advice. I'm testing different cards now so far so good
Ooops. My mistake! I'm waiting on a new K20D myself and getting anxious.
06-18-2008, 03:16 AM   #14

Original Poster
Just a quick update on my issues. I have tested the problem with 6 different SD brands and capacities and unfortunately the problem persists.

Now. I contacted the seller (Digital-Rev) asking about procedures and they asked me for a serial number. After I sent them my serial number they responded saying that unfortunately it is different to the one they have in records.

I checked the serial number on the camera body, box and documents and indeed it's different than the one on packing slip I received together with all documents. Emailed them scans and just waiting on their responce.

I am getting bit anxious. Shoul I be worried? Can Pentax trace the serial number where it went - to which distributor I mean? Just in case I will have to prepare for a battle....

Cheers

Tom
06-18-2008, 04:14 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Hopefully it sounds like someone just fat-fingered the wrong serial number on the invoice only...hopefully, since all your serial numbers match between body, box, documents, you can get service, though it may have to be from Pentax. Maybe Digital-Rev can send you an new invoice with the correct serial number.

Here's hoping your problem gets resolved.