PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Macros!

Asking Price
125.00 USD - Reduced from $150

Item Location
Seattle, WA (United States)

Item Description
I’ve built up an inadvertent collection of MF macro lenses and I decided with my most recent acquisition that I needed to chose one and let the others go. I have 2 very good lenses to offer here. I may be open to trades, read to the bottom for things that might tempt me.

There are two other lenses that I’m not quite committed to selling yet and I’ll mention them at the bottom. If either of them interests you, especially as an add on to one of the macros, we can talk about it.

• SIGMA (A) 90/2.8 Macro - $150 > Reduced to $125
  • >>> SOLD <<< Pentax-M 100/4 Macro - $125 > Reduced to $100
Full-sized photos of both of these lenses can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/15287103@N03/albums/72157633608705703

Sigma 90/2.8 – PK/A Mount - MF

The facts:
The lens looks new-old-stock. There is almost no evidence that it was ever used and it may not have been. It has the box, manual and original case, all of which look untouched. The strap to the case is still in the plastic. Original front and rear caps are also included. The only sign of use is the original diopter, which is very rare. There is rubbing of the lettering on the sides that indicate it has been screwed on and off at least a few times. (visible in 3rd photo)

I’ve looked for one of these for years. It’s a 9.0 rating in our reviews. I got to play with it’s 50mm cousin once and knew based on the quality of it, this would be a good lens for me. They appear pretty rare and most seem to have been separated from the diopter, which brings it from 1:2 to 1:1 macro. I think someone must have bought this one in the 90’s, used it for a few macro shots, kept it in a box and then somehow it ended up on a shelf in a shop that didn’t have Pentax customers until I came along.

My conjecture:
The quality of the photos both macro and telephoto exceeded my expectations. (see Flickr album) The auto-aperture is a great feature when using it for those concert photos and the difference between f4 and 2.8 is significant for that purpose. The catch with this lens is that the focus ring is stiff. It works fine, doesn’t interfere with my ability to get the shot, but compared to the Pentax, it bothered me and I want you to understand that before you buy. It may be that it’s stiff because it hasn’t been used and maybe it would open up with use. It could almost certainly be serviced to something smoother and I’ve been holding onto it thinking that I may do that. But wondering if I should really crack open a “new” copy of what I think is a rare and special lens. (While I was trying to decide a Tokina 90/2.4 fell in my lap)

I think it’s fine the way it is, though it bothered me personally and I think it would be worth servicing if you were so inclined.

Price: $150 > reduced to $125
I’ve been chasing these on eBay for a few years, though I wanted one with the diopter and they rarely come up. I’ve never seen one with the case and complete kit. I’ve never seen these in any of our on-line friends and I don’t recall seeing any here.

Currently on eBay there are 2, neither with the diopter or rest of the kit. One is $190 and the other is $210. When I’ve seen them with the diopter in the past, they’ve been over $250. Maybe the focus is smoother on those, I don’t know. I can’t imagine that any of them are this clean overall, though. If I go to eBay with this, I’ll set a starting bid at $200 and see what happens.

Photos taken with this lens:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/15287103@N03/albums/72157659397932569

Why do I have 3 1:2 ratio manual focus macro lenses? Aside from general LBA affliction. I THINK that MF is best for macro photography and it seems that because of the long focus throw required for macro, people who try to use them as a general purpose telephoto are not happy with the AF speed. Native 1:1 macro lenses have an even longer focus throw and it seems they would be unwieldy for anything other than macro or really static subject use. I wanted 1 lens to cover multiple uses and convinced myself this was the best way to get there (ironic that I ended up with 3, but you're going to help me get back down to 1). Both of these lenses are small primes and essentially disappear on the camera. Here is a photo of the two of them next to a SMC 50 1.4 for perspective. Macro is fun and it’s great to have a compact, short telephoto prime with this type of clarity and contrast.

Things that would tempt me as trades:

Lenses:
Something wide/fast. Specifically, I’d be interested in an FA* 24/2
Also interested in 2.8 aperature zooms, especially something in the 18-50 range or the 24-70ish range.

FA 43 limited

I might consider an AF Fast 50. I have a K 50/1.4 which is great, wouldn’t hurt to have an AF sibling for certain situations at least f1.8. Not a huge priority for me, but maybe.

DA 70/2.4

I’m also a sucker for anything that says Tokina AT-X on it, especially one of their 2.8 zooms, let me know if you have something.

I'm considering listing my SMC 24/2.8 prime. If a bundle opens up a deal, I could be open to that.

>>>SOLD<<< is a Pentax-M 100/4 Macro. I’ve had and loved this lens for 3 years.

The facts:
It’s in good shape, I’m not aware of any problems with it, certainly no scratches or fungus or anything, yet I don't know when it was last serviced. The focus is butter-smooth and it’s a great, legendary lens. I will include appropriate front and rear caps and a deep metal hood, though I’m not sure it’s necessary as the front element is deeply recessed.

My conjecture:
Judge the photos taken with it for yourself, but I was always thrilled with the colors and clarity both macro and as a short telephoto. I thought I would use this lens more as a telephoto lens than I did, which led me to stray from it. It works great in that capacity in good light, but I wanted something fast in this focal length for concert photography and I found f4 frequently not fast enough (for me).

Price: $125 > Reduced to $100
I checked our forum history, our reviews average and active eBay and usual suspects sites. I paid $125, and that’s the reviews section average. I’m shocked to find 2 on B&H photo now, one for $199.96 and one for $222.95. That seems wrong to me, but there it is. None at KEH or Adorama at the moment. eBay has them from $150-247. Maybe FF is driving the price of this lens up more than others for some reason. If I go eBay, I’ll join the mania and get whatever I can, but here, I’m happy to pass it along for my investment.

Photos taken with this lens:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/15287103@N03/albums/72157632915599317

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling or Trading

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
North America

Shipping Charge

Shipping Services
UPS or FedEx

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
I'm not going to allow there to be a bad transaction associated with me on Pentax Forums, but please read the (exhaustive descriptions thoroughly and ask if you have questions or want to see more or different photos. I'd prefer that sales be final. I've priced and described accordingly.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by troika; 11-01-2015 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Marking one of the lenses sold
10-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 12 (100%)
Quick question to clarify:
Are both lense 1:2 magnification?
10-17-2015, 04:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 14 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Quick question to clarify:
Are both lense 1:2 magnification?
Thanks for the question:

The SIGMA comes with an original, matched diopter makes it native 1:1 macro. You can see it installed in the 3rd picture. Without it, the lens is 1:2 macro. This makes it more useful as a general purpose lens, because it keeps the focus throw and extension down when not doing full macro. It's a good system and I'm very impressed with the full macro and general shots. (see linked photo album). The diopter just screws on and off like a filter.

The Pentax is 1:2 Macro, but can get as close as you want with the addition of extension tubes (not included)
10-17-2015, 04:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for the fast reply!

Unfortunately, I just remembered that the price is USD and the canadian dollar is so low right now I don't think my current lens budget allows.

Last edited by Parallax; 10-20-2015 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Price comment
10-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yep, sorry about the economy, you had us there for a while.
10-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This went through my head:
A nice 90mm f2.8 macro hmm for $150, I wonder if it is 1:1.
*Write comment*
*Read reply*
Oh wait that's USD makes 200 CAD, don't think I want it for that much...
Disappointment.
10-18-2015, 06:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
The Flickr links do not seem to work.

10-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Interesting, thanks for letting me know. They work for me, so I can only assume that it's a permissions issue. I'll see what I can do to resolve it. If I can't I'll share images in replies here.

(Edit) All of the permissions are set to "Anyone/Public", so I can't open it up any more. When I click the links in my browser (Firefox) it opens a new window with the album in it. Can I suggest copying and pasting the link into a new window?

If that doesn't work, let me know what you are interested in seeing and I'll embed the photos in a post as I did with the lens shots.

Thanks again for letting me know.

---------- Post added 10-19-15 at 01:20 PM ----------

I've not been able to replicate a problem with these links. If anyone would like to see anything that they can't access, please let me know and I'll be happy to post or send you photos directly.
10-20-2015, 04:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
Thank you for your efforts. I really just wanted to see the Flickr images to get a better view. It's probably my own computer settings.
10-20-2015, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Okay, I don't want to overload this post with photos, but let me share a representative sample from each lens. All of these photos are in the Flickr albums with others if you are able to follow the links. Please let me know if you have any other questions or would like something additional.

Photos taken with the Pentax-M 100/4 macro

A few photos taken with the SIGMA 90/2.8

10-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Okay, I'm going to bump these going into the weekend.

I'm really surprised these made it a week. Two amazing lenses, priced under market right now.
10-26-2015, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
One and only price reduction, then they're going to eBay.

I'll drop the Pentax lens to $100 + $10/shipping. That's way under where they seem to be selling for right now, but it's what I think it's worth.

The SIGMA lens is worth much more than what I'm asking for it here, so I'm not going to move on that one and lower the price of the M100.

I bought a flash today (thank you PF), so I've edited the post to remove it from trade prospects and reflect the new price of the M100/4.
10-26-2015, 03:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 46 (100%)
pm sent on the pentax 100 macro
thx
10-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
PM answered. Now we're talkin'!

---------- Post added 10-26-15 at 05:08 PM ----------

The Pentax Lens is sold.

This SIGMA lens is special, let's keep the ball rolling!
10-31-2015, 11:48 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Revising my trade priorities, still the things I listed, but I'm realizing more and more that I could use a fast zoom.

24-60 or 24-70/2.8

or

something in the 18-50/2.8 range, though I don't think the wide end is as important to me.

My current wide zoom is not fast enough for my son's indoor sports type stuff. I think the extra 10 - 25mm on the long end would be occasionally handy.

This SIGMA macro is a special lens. Surprised there has been no interest.

---------- Post added 11-01-15 at 07:21 PM ----------

Okay, one time reduction on the SIGMA Macro, just to avoid eBay and since it worked on the M100 and it is now happy in a new home.

$125 for the SIGMA 90/2.8 Macro 1:1 with the original diaptor included as well and all the other original kit goodies. I'm traveling next weekend and if it sells by then, I'll ship promptly, if not, I suppose it's going to eBay.

Free local pickup in Seattle this week or next or Chicago this weekend.