Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

For Sale: SDM to Screwdrive Conversions
Listed: 01-11-2016, 07:27 PM

I am not home. Do not ship to my home at this time. Contact me for alternate shipping address. I am able to do conversions at this time

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
SDM to Screwdrive Conversions

Asking Price
45.00 USD

Item Location
Mint Hill, NC (United States)

Item Description
As a service to fellow Pentax Forum users and with special permission from Adam I am happy to announce that I am available to convert failed SDM lenses to Screwdrive. I am only charging $45 at this time for lenses that I know how to convert. This is merely to cover my time and effort involved in tracking and sending packages and the time required to perform the conversion. The actual conversion is not hard and I encourage those willing to do this for themselves to do so but for those who want a bit of help - I'm offering this service.

The service includes:
Test Lens prior to conversion to verify that screwdrive is functional.
Backup LENSEEP.LNS file as is.
Modify a copy of this file to have screwdrive configuration.
Load modified file into the lens and test on an SDM capable body.
Return lens postage paid by owner.

Optionally: Email backup and modified files to the owner.

I have successfully converted all of these lenses:
DA* 16-50
DA* 50-135
DA* 200
DA* 300

I am unable to convert the DA* 60-250. There are no known methods for this conversion since the method that works for the other lenses is unreliable on this lens.

An example converted 16-50:

Please NOTE Lenses shipped to me without insurance that are lost are not my responsibility. I strongly suggest using a method with tracking and insurance but that is entirely up to you. My return postage will be based on your explicit instructions and I will not be responsible for lost items. I encourage the use of tracking and insurance.

I STRONGLY recommend that you include a letter inside the package identifying your Pentax Forums ID, the email you wish to be billed at and a contact phone number as well as full address. Ideally the letter should contain your address and mine just in case the label is lost for any reason. Finally if you include your postage instructions (insurance amount, signature required) it will make it easier. You should include not only an email for contact but also the specific email for me to send a paypal invoice to for payment.

Shipping Destinations
United States (Others considered on request)

Shipping Charge
Paid by Lens Owner

Shipping Services
USPS, UPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
If I am unable to convert the lens I will not charge for the service. Lens owner is still responsible for return shipping.

Please send me a private message if interested in the service!

In Canada fozzfoster is offering a similar service: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/456045-sa...ns-canada.html

Last edited by UncleVanya; 1 Day Ago at 12:27 PM.
Views: 62,601
01-29-2016, 03:43 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 44 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I'm not sending lenses, and probably never will (as I can't afford SDM lenses anyways...) but you should add this info to the original post.
Great idea! I have gone ahead and modified the original post.

Oh and look for deals on lenses with failing or broken SDM - chances are outstanding that they will work with screw drive easily. The DA 60-250 is the only lens with both screwdrive and SDM that I do not know how to convert. I haven't converted a DA* 300 yet but in theory it should be the same process as what the DA* 200 requires. I offer a money back guarantee that if your lens cannot be converted you only pay for the shipping to / from me not the conversion fee.

02-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #47

Feedback Score: 4 (83%)
Tagging for future reference
02-15-2016, 09:33 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bump. Just a reminder I will be unavailable for this service in late March through early April.
02-15-2016, 09:56 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
Can you post the text in those files. Before and after? Or have them attached somehow or pm a set to me?
TIA.

02-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #50
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 48 (100%)
My 16-50 is on the way to you.
03-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #51
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 48 (100%)
I received my 16-50 back from its conversion to screwdrive and it works great. It is fast focusing and not all that loud. It is much quieter than the 55-300mm.
I think I will not miss the SDM at all.
thanks for offering this service.
03-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Please note:

Price has increased to $30 USD.

Also any lenses required to be converted before 4/6/16 should be sent with an arrival date of no later than 3/15/16. I will be unable to perform this conversion for several weeks, however items that are arranged for delivery by 3/15/16 should be possible to convert and ship back out. Any items sent with an arrival after 3/15/16 may have to wait until 4/6/16 for servicing.

03-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
just posting to bookmark....going to see how complicated this process is before i send my lenses from the Eh, country.
03-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
just posting to bookmark....going to see how complicated this process is before i send my lenses from the Eh, country.
There is a lot of good info in various posts on the forum. PM me with the camera models you have and I 'll give you my advice. Some camera's are easy to use, some are harder, some don't work (mainly newest models).
03-13-2016, 01:29 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 9 (100%)
UncleVanya, thanks for doing this.

I have a friend with a DA*300 and the SDM went out. It is around $300 to fix. Friend doesn't have $300 at the moment.

My questions are: this is "computer/electronic" based not a mechanical modification? If you do the fix, can the lens be returned to the original, unworking state so the SDM could be repaired by Ricoh?
Thanks
barondla
03-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
UncleVanya, thanks for doing this.

I have a friend with a DA*300 and the SDM went out. It is around $300 to fix. Friend doesn't have $300 at the moment.

My questions are: this is "computer/electronic" based not a mechanical modification? If you do the fix, can the lens be returned to the original, unworking state so the SDM could be repaired by Ricoh?
Thanks
barondla
The change is all software. You can easily revert. However the method of reverting is the same essentially as converting.
03-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
SDM to Screwdrive Conversions

Asking Price
30.00 USD

Item Location
Mint Hill, NC (United States)

Item Description
As a service to fellow Pentax Forum users and with special permission from Adam I am happy to announce that I am available to convert failed SDM lenses to Screwdrive. I am only charging $25 at this time for lenses that I know how to convert. This is merely to cover my time and effort involved in tracking and sending packages and the time required to perform the conversion. The actual conversion is not hard and I encourage those willing to do this for themselves to do so but for those who want a bit of help - I'm offering this service.

The service includes:
Test Lens prior to conversion to verify that screwdrive is functional.
Backup LENSEEP.LNS file as is.
Modify a copy of this file to have screwdrive configuration.
Load modified file into the lens and test on an SDM capable body.
Return lens postage paid by owner.

Optionally: Email backup and modified files to the owner.

At this time I am only certain of being able to convert these lenses:
DA* 16-50
DA* 50-135
DA* 200

I'm also fairly certain I can convert these lenses:
DA* 300

I am unable to convert the DA* 60-250 at this time. I will try if new information is made available - but as of today there are no known methods for this conversion.

An example converted 16-50:

Please NOTE Lenses shipped to me without insurance that are lost are not my responsibility. I strongly suggest using a method with tracking and insurance but that is entirely up to you. My return postage will be based on your explicit instructions and I will not be responsible for lost items. I encourage the use of tracking and insurance.

I STRONGLY recommend that you include a letter inside the package identifying your Pentax Forums ID, the email you wish to be billed at and a contact phone number as well as full address. Ideally the letter should contain your address and mine just in case the label is lost for any reason. Finally if you include your postage instructions (insurance amount, signature required) it will make it easier. You should include not only an email for contact but also the specific email for me to send a paypal invoice to for payment.

Shipping Destinations
United States (Others considered on request)

Shipping Charge
Paid by Lens Owner

Shipping Services
USPS, UPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
If I am unable to convert the lens I will not charge for the service. Lens owner is still responsible for return shipping.

Please send me a private message if interested in the service!
just wanted to thank you for converting my 16-50 it is working just great and i really don't see any drop off in focusing speed but it works every time now and thats a first. again thank you very much. for anyone out considering this there i can recommend him highly.
03-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nitehntr Quote
just wanted to thank you for converting my 16-50 it is working just great and i really don't see any drop off in focusing speed but it works every time now and thats a first. again thank you very much. for anyone out considering this there i can recommend him highly.
Thank you. I enjoy all the people getting to use their lens again.
03-14-2016, 06:08 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
Another happy customer

Just arrived back from visiting our son and his family in Tucson. I used the 16-50 you converted for me and worked as it should. Quick and pretty quiet. Just for information, the 200 your converted for me seems to make a little noise but it is also quick. Just for information, when I first mount the lens it doesn't seem to engage. I release and reseat it and it works fine. I have experienced this several times. It is not a problem but it could confuse.
03-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. Ed Quote
Just arrived back from visiting our son and his family in Tucson. I used the 16-50 you converted for me and worked as it should. Quick and pretty quiet. Just for information, the 200 your converted for me seems to make a little noise but it is also quick. Just for information, when I first mount the lens it doesn't seem to engage. I release and reseat it and it works fine. I have experienced this several times. It is not a problem but it could confuse.
Unfortunately my own da* 200 was just shipped off as a part of a trade. Otherwise I would try a quick conversion to see if it was a da* 200 specific thing.

---------- Post added 03-15-16 at 04:09 PM ----------

Heads up. Service is temporarily suspended due to vacation. I will resume it in a few weeks.