PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
SDM to Screwdrive Conversions

Asking Price
30.00 USD

Item Location
Mint Hill, NC (United States)

Item Description
As a service to fellow Pentax Forum users and with special permission from Adam I am happy to announce that I am available to convert failed SDM lenses to Screwdrive. I am only charging $30 at this time for lenses that I know how to convert. This is merely to cover my time and effort involved in tracking and sending packages and the time required to perform the conversion. The actual conversion is not hard and I encourage those willing to do this for themselves to do so but for those who want a bit of help - I'm offering this service.

The service includes:
Test Lens prior to conversion to verify that screwdrive is functional.
Backup LENSEEP.LNS file as is.
Modify a copy of this file to have screwdrive configuration.
Load modified file into the lens and test on an SDM capable body.
Return lens postage paid by owner.

Optionally: Email backup and modified files to the owner.

I have successfully converted all of these lenses:
DA* 16-50
DA* 50-135
DA* 200
DA* 300

I am unable to convert the DA* 60-250. There are no known methods for this conversion since the method that works for the other lenses is unreliable on this lens.

An example converted 16-50:

Please NOTE Lenses shipped to me without insurance that are lost are not my responsibility. I strongly suggest using a method with tracking and insurance but that is entirely up to you. My return postage will be based on your explicit instructions and I will not be responsible for lost items. I encourage the use of tracking and insurance.

I STRONGLY recommend that you include a letter inside the package identifying your Pentax Forums ID, the email you wish to be billed at and a contact phone number as well as full address. Ideally the letter should contain your address and mine just in case the label is lost for any reason. Finally if you include your postage instructions (insurance amount, signature required) it will make it easier. You should include not only an email for contact but also the specific email for me to send a paypal invoice to for payment.

Shipping Destinations
United States (Others considered on request)

Shipping Charge
Paid by Lens Owner

Shipping Services
USPS, UPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
If I am unable to convert the lens I will not charge for the service. Lens owner is still responsible for return shipping.

Please send me a private message if interested in the service!

Last edited by UncleVanya; 04-25-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Views: 16,005
06-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 25 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OhioAngie Quote
My 50-135 wouldn't focus last night. Nothing. Switched to manual, but later it started working again. Two questions: is the failure typically intermittent like this, and how noisy is the AF after the conversion? Looks like I may need your help!
As I understand it the failures can be different. Some slow down, some squeak, some fail without warning, some fail and then work and fail again.

As for noise, quiet compared to a lot of lenses. The weather sealing seems to dampen the noise a bit.

Happy to help - just let me know via private message if you are ready - feel free to ask questions in the meantime. I will do my best to give accurate answers.

07-08-2016, 06:10 AM   #77
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 9 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
As I understand it the failures can be different. Some slow down, some squeak, some fail without warning, some fail and then work and fail again.

As for noise, quiet compared to a lot of lenses. The weather sealing seems to dampen the noise a bit.

Happy to help - just let me know via private message if you are ready - feel free to ask questions in the meantime. I will do my best to give accurate answers.

I guess I am good for now. Have been using the lens more than usual to watch for issues, and all is well. Perhaps it was a fluke and I am being paranoid, looking for something because I am worried about it LOL. I'm glad to know options exist though.
07-08-2016, 06:54 AM   #78
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 6 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by OhioAngie Quote
I guess I am good for now. Have been using the lens more than usual to watch for issues, and all is well. Perhaps it was a fluke and I am being paranoid, looking for something because I am worried about it LOL. I'm glad to know options exist though.
I am fairly certain yours is failing. Mine did the same thing and I kept using it. Then one day, it wouldn't focus at all and the manual focus got stuck. I freaked out since I was on a shoot and Couldn't make it work. So, I went home and used an old camera to spin the screw drive. Once that spun the manual focus started working again and SDM started to work, but not quite as quickly as before.

I since converted to screw drive an it works much much better. I suggest you let UncleVanya fix this up for you.
07-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 23 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
I am fairly certain yours is failing. Mine did the same thing and I kept using it. Then one day, it wouldn't focus at all and the manual focus got stuck. I freaked out since I was on a shoot and Couldn't make it work. So, I went home and used an old camera to spin the screw drive. Once that spun the manual focus started working again and SDM started to work, but not quite as quickly as before.

I since converted to screw drive an it works much much better. I suggest you let UncleVanya fix this up for you.

how fast does it focus with screw versus sdm?

07-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #80
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
He converted 16-50* for me and it focuses very quick. Not sure it isn't faster than before.
07-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. Ed Quote
He converted 16-50* for me and it focuses very quick. Not sure it isn't faster than before.
I have trouble answering the question myself since when I see a lens it is already dead. I own a DA* 50-135, and a DA* 200 but typically I have not taken the time when one is in for repair to try to benchmark them against the screw drive lens. I would argue that the focus speed is more dependent on the body than the method. The K100D Super for example takes longer to focus either SDM or Screwdrive than the K-3.
07-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 23 (100%)
I can live with it being similar...thinking about getting another 16-50 but worried about sdm since I have had 2 fail recently...I know the 16-50 can be converted though...
07-28-2016, 09:38 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
bump to the top

08-15-2016, 02:46 PM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Still available.
08-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #85
Pentaxian

Looks like you aren't too far from Charlotte. Whenever I'm down there again maybe I'll meet up with you and hand off my 16-50, save some on shipping lol. The AF on it is getting sloowwwwww.
08-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
Looks like you aren't too far from Charlotte. Whenever I'm down there again maybe I'll meet up with you and hand off my 16-50, save some on shipping lol. The AF on it is getting sloowwwwww.
I am really not far at all. I work downtown a day or two a month and I'm sure we can arrange to meet and get the lens whipped into shape. Honestly I can probably meet for lunch and fix it while we wait if you want.
08-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm actually wondering if the whole SDM thing is a bit overblown. I initially saw a surge of requests for this service, but that has dried up. I also rarely see anyone new posting about SDM failure and needing help within the fix SDM threads. This leads me to think the numbers of people with failed lenses is lower than we think due to the vocal nature of failure vs. the passive silence of working lens bliss.

To date:
DA 17-70 SDM refurbished supposedly (excellent condition) - working a year plus later.
DA* 60-250 used - working 2 years later.
DA* 50-135 used - supposedly dead SDM - did not work on first test. Used rapid manual focus method and revived it. Still working 2 years later.
DA* 200 used - one scare, none since - may have been too cold to start immediately. Still working 2 years later.

No failures here - but plenty of alterations to screw drive for others. The 16-50 and 50-135 were by far the most seen. The 200 and 300 were the least. The 60-250 I can't make work (nor anyone else so far) but I've only been contacted about that lens twice.
09-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #88
Site Supporter

What exactly is this "exercise" method I have heard mentioned?
09-08-2016, 08:48 AM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 114 (99%)
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I initially saw a surge of requests for this service, but that has dried up. I also rarely see anyone new posting about SDM failure and needing help within the fix SDM threads.
It might be the newer replacement SDM is better. But I still have some problems even after the date people started to say pentax had better SDM (although pentax never said that)
17-70: it got 2nd SDM replacement earlier this year. Original one died 3 years ago and first repair was done 2 years ago.
55: got SDM replaced and it runs great for 3 years.
60-250: Lens was bought after people believe pentax had fixed SDM issue. Motor died last year and just got it repaired.
16-50: dropped last year both SDM and zoom dead. repaired last year and now it needs wake up -- sign of SDM failure. I converted it to screw drive AF.

All motor has life limit, Canikon's motor dies also. But pentax really needs to improve it.

I guess many members here learned to convert it to screw drive if lens allows, or their problematic lenses have been converted already. so you don't got as may request as before.
09-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
It might be the newer replacement SDM is better. But I still have some problems even after the date people started to say pentax had better SDM (although pentax never said that)
17-70: it got 2nd SDM replacement earlier this year. Original one died 3 years ago and first repair was done 2 years ago.
55: got SDM replaced and it runs great for 3 years.
60-250: Lens was bought after people believe pentax had fixed SDM issue. Motor died last year and just got it repaired.
16-50: dropped last year both SDM and zoom dead. repaired last year and now it needs wake up -- sign of SDM failure. I converted it to screw drive AF.

All motor has life limit, Canikon's motor dies also. But pentax really needs to improve it.

I guess many members here learned to convert it to screw drive if lens allows, or their problematic lenses have been converted already. so you don't got as may request as before.
Tough luck! Yikes. I have the DA* 50-135, DA* 60-250, and DA* 200 and none have problems. Oh and my nice has a DA 17-70 also no issues.

I started the service to help people, if most people are already helped that's a good thing.