Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-19-2017, 02:41 AM   #1

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
FA* 24mm; Kooka Ext. Tube

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
K-3II with DA 16-85mm; FA* 24mm; Sigma 30mm EX DC; O-FC1 Flucard; Kooka Ext. Tube

Asking Price
1,075.00 USD
1,350.00 AUD

Item Location
Brisbane (Australia)

Item Description
All prices are in Australian dollars. Shipping via AusPost is extra (you choose what you want, basic parcel post, express, insurance, etc). Happy for anyone in the Brisbane area to inspect or purchase in person. For now I am sticking to interested Australian buyers as shipping outside of this country is excessively expensive.

I have recently upsized my camera (to a K-1), and now I need to downsize the contents of my camera cupboard (and help fund further LBA), so I am selling off some of my APS-C gear.

Pentax K-3II and DA 16-85mm - International: US$1075; Australia: AU$1350 - SOLD
These two came as a pair, and my minor OCD streak likes that they fit neatly in the one box, so I am selling them as a pair.

K-3II has a shutter count of 18,427.

Bought them together in December 2015 (locally from Digidirect). Both camera and lens are in great condition, both are clean, lens zooms and focuses smoothly as it should, everything on the camera works, rear screen and top LCD have had screen protection since I bought it. Only things to report are that the lens hood has some minor marks (from where I have placed the lens and camera down), the chrome on the strap hangers has been worn by my neck strap exposing the steel and resulting in some minor corrosion (the lugs on the body itself are fine though) and there is some minor dust/dirt on the focus screen.

Never had any problems with the camera, takes great pictures. Lens is a beauty, only reason I am wanting to part with it is it is definitely an APS-C lens. Pictures are sharp, colours are gorgeous, AF is smooth and silent, no optical issues to speak of (my first example showed some decentering, this one replaced that unit). I now have a DFA 28-105mm for my K-1, so this lens, and the camera in spent much of its life attached to, need to find a new home with someone who will put them to good use.

FA* 24mm f2.0 - International: US$415; Australia: AU$500
This lens does not include a lens hood. I'm also not the original owner.

I took a recent trip to South Korea, and while in Seoul I found a FA* 24mm lens hood for sale. Sadly the seller insisted that I must also buy the lens it was attached to, so now I have a spare. As nice as this lens is, I don't really need two of them.

I consider this lens to be the overweight brother of the three FA Limiteds (same height as the FA 31mm, but more rotund). Wide open it renders like the Jun Hirakawa Limiteds (ie. excellent colours, pleasing bokeh, loads of character and pixie dust) - which makes sense, he designed this lens too. Stopped down it gets sharp, sharper and then ridiculously sharp. It even makes decent starbursts. Obviously it covers a full 35mm sensor, but it is quite nice on APS-C as well.

Physically in good shape, built like a tank and largely metal. There is a mark on the plastic beauty ring around the front element (glass is fine, mark is well away from it anyway) and a barely perceptible scuff on the silver barrel. I don't know how these silver FA* got a reputation for being easily marked, I think you'd need to be really rough to damage the thing.

Getting a lens hood on its own is hard, so the price is lower for this being an 'incomplete' unit.

Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC EX - International: US$180; Australia: AU$225 - SOLD
Lens includes Sigma caps, pouch/bag and original box. I am not the original owner of this either.

My APS-C light bucket. Gives a normal FOV and is 45mm in full frame equivalence. Has a pleasing rendering, especially for subject isolation, bokeh is nice, colours are punchy and has a very strong '3D' effect. Apart from only covering an APS-C sensor, I also have a FA 50mm f1.4, so my full frame light bucket requirements are already met.

The Sigma 'Zen' finish (or what ever they call it) is not known for its durability, and this lens does show its age somewhat with a number of scuffs. This doesn't affect its performance or IQ, but it isn't mint either.

O-FC1 Flucard - AU$70 - SOLD
(but if you buy the K-3II, you can have it for $50)

Comes in original box.

Not much to say except it works. I used it basically to allow remote control with my tablet/phone and the rare occasion I transferred a JPG for uploading on the internet while traveling. The K-1 has wifi built in, so this is little more than a 16gb SD card to me now, which is a waste. Instead someone else should have it to use it as it should be used.

Kooka 25mm AF Extension Tube - International: US$15; Australia: AU$20
Comes with original box and 'wetsuit material' pouch.

If you want an extension tube that supports AF, this is basically your only option. Also has all 7 pins for aperture and data communications. Downside is it is clearly a Chinese rip off of someone's better design (Tamron's I suspect). Adds 25mm extension to your macro setup!

Known to be difficult to mount, I found the culprit to be the aperture receiver arm - so I removed it (and no Pentax DSLR has it anyway, so it was a complete waste being there). Now it mates fine, though it still has the build and feel of a cheap chinese knock off. Second problem, turns out, is it vignettes on a full frame sensor, so now it needs to find a new home. Good way to get some extra magnification on your macro work.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Australia Only

Shipping Charge
Varies

Shipping Services
AusPost

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Other (Elaborate)

Return Policy & Additional Details
Returns accepted if item arrives in other than described condition. Return postage at buyers expense.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

---------- Post added 03-20-17 at 01:40 AM ----------

O-FC1 Flucard is now sold!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by GodsPetMonkey; 05-05-2017 at 09:00 PM.
03-20-2017, 02:58 AM   #2

Feedback Score: 6 (100%)
If I can move my voigtlander 20mm in EF mount I will be interested in the 24 just registering my interest. I'm on the gold coast
03-20-2017, 03:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelvandal Quote
If I can move my voigtlander 20mm in EF mount I will be interested in the 24 just registering my interest. I'm on the gold coast
No problem, I think I saw your lens on Gumtree - good luck with the sale!
03-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
Bump!

04-02-2017, 03:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
I am heading off overseas in May (yay, holiday time!) and it would be great to see this stuff go before I do, so...

Price ruductions:
Across the board. (Almost)

K-3II with DA 16-85; AU$1350
FA* 24mm; AU$500
Sigma 30mm; AU$225
Kooka Extension Tube; Still AU$20... it is already dirt cheap.

International shipping:
Is now available. You can get an idea of what it might cost by quoting on www.auspost.com.au. Source postcode is 4000, and Standard international post is the minimum available (the economy options don't come with tracking, so they are out).

For any interested international buyers I have included the applicable price in US dollars. Australian buyers buying in AU dollars get it a little cheaper because of the pain that is international currency conversion and phoney patriotism (or something).

Sample pictures:
Are apparently worth 1,000 words...

K-3II and DA 16-85mm

FA* 24mm (on the K-3II)

FA* 24mm (in full frame glory on a K-1)

Sigma 30mm (featuring the only model I could get a release for...)

04-02-2017, 06:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
Nice to see the obligatory cat shot
04-04-2017, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
Nice to see the obligatory cat shot
He's a frequent subject of mine . It was hard choosing just one photo of him to show!

04-04-2017, 05:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 67 (100%)
Part of me always lusts for the FA*24, in particular as it's probably the only full frame lens which approaches the DA21 regarding starbursts.
04-04-2017, 07:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 5 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by GodsPetMonkey Quote
Second problem, turns out, is it vignettes on a full frame sensor,
I have a deglassed 2X teleconverter that gives this problem with the 100 WR macro at short focal distances only, and with no other lens that I've tried it on. I suspect your extension tube is a repurposed teleconverter, manufactured without the glass.

Also, how long is your extension tube between the mount faces? APS-C shooting macro junkies might want to know that little detail so as to be able to calculate how much magnification they are going to get.
04-05-2017, 11:59 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I have a deglassed 2X teleconverter that gives this problem with the 100 WR macro at short focal distances only, and with no other lens that I've tried it on. I suspect your extension tube is a repurposed teleconverter, manufactured without the glass.
It looks a lot like the Tamron (and rebrand) PZ-AF TCs, so yes, I think they did rip off the design from a TC. Makes sense, I guess, and on APS-C, not really a problem.

QuoteQuote:
Also, how long is your extension tube between the mount faces? APS-C shooting macro junkies might want to know that little detail so as to be able to calculate how much magnification they are going to get.
25mm, oops, forgot to include that. Thanks for pointing it out, original post has been updated!
04-10-2017, 04:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 23 (100%)
PM sent RE Sigma 30 f1.4 and postage.
04-13-2017, 02:01 AM   #12

Original Poster
Sigma 30mm f1.4 is now sold.

Will have to dig up some new cat pictures!
04-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 5 (100%)
Haha, you are well travelled. I was just scrolling the page but compelled to compliment that first valley pic. Looks a long way from Australia, Rockies maybe?

04-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frankoz Quote
Haha, you are well travelled. I was just scrolling the page but compelled to compliment that first valley pic. Looks a long way from Australia, Rockies maybe?
Yosemite. Beautiful spot, sadly Ansel Adams beat me to it by a few years, but I am happy to take the compliment for my own fine work (also, the K-3II and DA 16-85 are a hell of a lot easier to lug around compared to Ansel's gear!).
04-22-2017, 08:43 PM   #15

Original Poster
With the Sigma gone, this thread is in need of some more cat photos! (and other samples...)

DA 16-85mm + K-3II:

FA* 24mm + K-3II: