Item Location
Seattle, WA (United States)

Item Description
For sale is this near-mint, gorgeous workhorse of a film RF camera:

• Cosina-Voigtlander Bessa R3m with
  • Soviet "zebra" Industar-61 52mm f/2.8 LTM (Leica thread-mount) and
  • Cosina-Voigtlander Color Skopar 35mm f/2.5 LTM version
  • and a Fotodiox LTM-to-Leica-M mount adapter

I've been trying to talk myself into selling this package to fund other projects for probably over a year and finally did it. This camera is truly fantastic. Fully manually and mechanical except for the battery-powered metered, it will fire at all speeds under any circumstance.

These two lenses are great performers (particularly the Color Skopar which often blows me away with its rendering on color films). Many prefer the faster Nokton varieties but I do not, personally - at f/2.5 is plenty fast enough and the rendering is more classic and slightly less contrasty which I find to be a perfect balance between "modern" and "vintage" glass.

As you may know, the Bessa R3m is one of the two very last models produced by Cosina-Voigtlander before they suddenly shut down manufacturing of film camera lines, to the dismay of many people. This one is about 3 years old and damn near mint. Not a thing wrong with it: bright 1:1 viewfinder, dead-on accurate metering, all controls snappy and tight. It has extremely light surface scuffs here and there from use but nothing you'd ever notice unless looking for them. It wants to be used, and I simply don't use it enough. I'm an SLR shooter for the most part, and though I love this camera it needs to go to someone that'll shoot with it more, not just sit on the shelf looking pretty (which it does very well as you can see).

This is being sold as a set. I might consider breaking it up but would rather just sell it all together. The Color-Skopar comes with original packaging but the Bessa does not unfortunately (which is very unlike me - it somehow went missing in a move 2 years back). I also have available a late-model Jupiter-8 50/2.0 lens to swap with the Industar-61 if you prefer for an additional amount $30 USD.

All photos are current as of this week. The other photo are shots I took with the camera.

$1,200.00 or best (reasonable) offer

Link here to many photos of the Bessa and lenses.

Have a look at some of my photos taken with this combo here on Flickr.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge
Included in Continental US

Shipping Services
USPS Priority (will ship other at buyer's cost)

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
No Returns, but Guaranteed as described with my reputation on the Film Forums here at stake. View the photos and ask questions.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GR  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR  Photo 

Last edited by Eyewanders; 04-08-2017 at 09:56 AM.
04-05-2017, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #2

Feedback Score: 6 (100%)
One of the best RF bodies ever made ! Rocking my R4A otherwise will be first in line for this beauty. Enjoy bump from me
04-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vladfrenkel Quote
One of the best RF bodies ever made ! Rocking my R4A otherwise will be first in line for this beauty. Enjoy bump from me
That's a true story.

Also, I forgot to mention - the R3m does not have 35mm framelines but it has never been a problem for me using the 40mm setting (largest it has). Roughly speaking, the entirety of the viewfinder, more or less, is about the 35mm frame (with a bit more side to side if you shift your view). Anything wider would be frustrating and benefit for a separate viewfinder IMO, but the 35 is fine. Also since this version sports the huge 1:1 viewfinder, differing from your R4a, you can easily shoot with both eyes open at anytime, so you'll not miss out on the seeing what's outside of "frame" if you do so. Just some possibly useful info passing on.
04-05-2017, 06:30 PM   #4

Oh yes, I envy 75 and 90 frame lines. R4A lacks everything beyond 50.

04-05-2017, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 18 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
That's a true story.

Also, I forgot to mention - the R3m does not have 35mm framelines but it has never been a problem for me using the 40mm setting (largest it has). Roughly speaking, the entirety of the viewfinder, more or less, is about the 35mm frame (with a bit more side to side if you shift your view). Anything wider would be frustrating and benefit for a separate viewfinder IMO, but the 35 is fine. Also since this version sports the huge 1:1 viewfinder, differing from your R4a, you can easily shoot with both eyes open at anytime, so you'll not miss out on the seeing what's outside of "frame" if you do so. Just some possibly useful info passing on.
Yes, shooting "loose" with both eyes open is a good technique when shooting 35mm or 40mm focal length on the R3M. Framing is always a little imprecise with rangefinder cameras and there is value to embracing the "feature".

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-05-2017 at 07:11 PM.
04-08-2017, 09:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bump and a price drop.
04-08-2017, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 20 (100%)
Reminds me a lot of the Epson R-D1, always drooled over both. I wish I had the disposable income just to have it on the shelf, heh.
Bump for cool gear.
Eric

04-08-2017, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #8

Totally agree with R-d1 (a and x) resemblance. This is exactly what I've obtained after getting my R4A And free bump to great camera.
04-09-2017, 03:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 23 (100%)
Free bump from R3A owner
04-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers for the bumps. For any interested, do check out this piece by fellow Film Shooters Collective member Olivier Meier. It's an excellent review article on this camera and a good read with many photographs:
Road to film photography and the Voigtländer Bessa R3M | Olivier Meier | Film Shooters Collective
04-22-2017, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bumping for that person that finally realized how much they need and cannot live without this camera. You're welcome.
05-02-2017, 12:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
bumpity bump bump bump
05-04-2017, 06:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 12 (100%)
Tempting, been itching for a rangefinder, but the wife would likely slay me after I just picked up a 645n and I already have too many 35mm bodies. Maybe I should get rid of all digital stuff except for the MX-1 to fund this...decisions, decisions.