Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 28 (100%)
Pentax FA* 600mm f4 Supertelephoto Lens (Price Reduced)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Pentax FA* 600mm f4 Supertelephoto Lens (Price Reduced)

Asking Price
5,800.00 USD

Item Location
Montana (United States)

Item Description
This is the Supertelephoto you've always wanted!

Purchased new from B&H and very well cared for including multiple factory CLA's.

Stored in extremely low humidity so low risk of fungus or other environmental issues. Glass is perfect, snappy aperture with accurate shutter speeds. All functions operate as new.

Includes Standard Items: Trunk Case; tripod foot; integral shade; six drop-in 43mm filters in soft case; original instructions; 150mm PF front filter; shoulder strap; front "boot" lens cover; rear cap. Accessories: Really Right Stuff custom Arca QD plate; home-made rain cover.

Marks in finish are only in the finish exposing the darker primer underneath. No scratches into the metal or dents in the lens itself. Small ding in lens badge (see photos) Lens has never been dropped or "wounded." Produces the same image quality now as the day I bought it.

Lens has produced dozens of published images...editors love the pics! Everything from small birds in flight to eagles, to deer, mountain goats, bighorn sheep etc. From national magazines to various state parks publications, fish and game department publications to corporate marketing materials. To do professional work, use a professional lens!

Why would I sell this lens? Never thought I'd sell it, but MS is causing physical issues. Going to have to minimize my kit. Several years ago I had to pick between FA*250-600 and this FA*600...just couldn't travel with both anymore. So I kept the 600/4 as the preferred wildlife lens for me...alas...

I've sold many items through this forum, including stuff shipped to: Finland, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and even some stuff sold here in the U.S. I'm reliable and trustworthy. Willing to meet and shoot with the lens...teach the lessons I've learned etc. if you can logistically get here. (Depending on timing and cost/logistics you could probably get me to meet you at Yellowstone; National Bison Range or somewhere like that for in-person delivery? I also shoot frequently at Umatilla Refuge in OR, Ridgefield Refuge in WA, Camas Refuge in ID, Hood Canal area in WA...and could possibly schedule a quick trip?)

Dreams become goals when you start to act on them!

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
130.00 lower 48

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
7 day return policy, buyer pays shipping

Some world destinations are problematic for insurance and delivery...case by case assessment.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A couple shots...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
01-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
A beautiful lens. Wish I could afford it. Thanks for the tip about Camas Wildlife Refuge. I just contacted them and will be making a trip shortly. They had 22 Bald Eagles spend the night last night...
01-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
They have a herd of prairie elk that pour through from time to time, but note that May is off the charts for water birds! Eared Grebe pic was taken there from a window mount. A few surprise moose there too. Come to think of it, that coyote shot may have been taken there too? Sandhills raise colts there, swans, ibis, egrets, curlews, owls, etc. I have many hundreds of "publishables" shot there. Hell, I once found a zoo-escaped Greater Flamingo there...it was getting lots of attention! They used to have peregrine falcons on a nest tower too--I think that study ended?

It's pretty close to lots of other cool refuges too, Red Rocks, Bear River, Grand Tetons etc. I used to drive a dirt road to Mesa Falls nearby but that's now a highway!

Afford this lens? If that was a requirement, few would ever own one! Pretty much all hobbies involve making that choice to purchase equipment we desire so much...dirt bikes, boating, scuba diving, hunting, camping...all rack up expenses far greater than our inexpensive hobby! Travel, collecting antiques, skiing...not sure I can come up with a cheaper hobby than photography? Even the quilters I know end up with big commercial machines and thousands of dollars worth of storage space dedicated to hanks of cloth...Yes, being deeply into hobbies does have costs...Good news is these lenses plateau for value and tend to hold value for decades...so when you get ready to sell, it still has strong value...I.E. the cost can be recouped when you sell some day.

This May at Camas you'll see me poking a little F*300 out the window on the various auto tour routes...what lens will I recognize you by (and MT plates)?

A couple more shots from Camas Refuge...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
01-24-2018, 11:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"This May at Camas you'll see me poking a little F*300 out the window on the various auto tour routes...what lens will I recognize you by (and MT plates)?"

DFA 150-450 and a white Ford Ranger. Thanks for more info on Camas. Went to Red Rocks last year and got some good shots of a badger.
01-24-2018, 11:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Note the great bokeh, both front and back produced by this lens! Even the twigs in the Willet pic aren't terribly busy...acceptable bokeh on a subject prone to busy out of focus zone. Coyote shot shows how soft bokeh can save an image...

---------- Post added 01-24-18 at 12:02 PM ----------

I like Red Rocks, but it's very hit or miss. Got long-distance not publication quality shots of a coyote stalking the one Whooping Crane that used to return to Red Rocks every year...part of an attempt to use Sandhill Cranes to raise Whoopers...didn't work with the wrong colors. Don't know if the Whooping Crane is still alive, that was over 15 years ago...

If you pass through Red Rocks heading East you eventually head toward Henry's Fork (living where you do dwalt you may have come in that way?). Got some interesting grizzly bear shots there and love to find that restaurant in the woods with killer rack of lamb! I travel without an itinerary so don't know the names of these places I find...
01-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote

If you pass through Red Rocks heading East you eventually head toward Henry's Fork (living where you do dwalt you may have come in that way?). Got some interesting grizzly bear shots there and love to find that restaurant in the woods with killer rack of lamb! I travel without an itinerary so don't know the names of these places I find...
Yes, I come in from West Yellowstone thru Henry's Lake. I agree it was hit or miss. Found a Badger, an Eagle, an Osprey, a muskrat and a lot of Ducks. Saw the Cranes a long way off. I don't know about the restaurant but would like to find it. When I was there they had a bridge under construction so there were detours.

01-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The restaurant is on a dirt road back in the sticks. I can always find it by just driving...OK, I've found it twice...Also, stayed at the Bed and Breakfast/Dude Ranch next door to the refuge once. They were pretty shocked that I wasn't interested in riding or other dude ranch stuff. I've lived rural my whole life, so their created experiences weren't for me, but I'll bet it would be a blast for lots of folks. I just wanted to stay where I wouldn't have an hour drive to get there!
01-31-2018, 10:36 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sale Pending.
Thanks for looking everybody! (sorry for the tease!)