Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #1

Feedback Score: 8 (100%)
Pentax K-1 with Full Spectrum Modification (rare)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Pentax K-1 with Full Spectrum Modification (rare)

NOTE: This versatile camera requires special handling as follows:

a) For normal, fully-automatic operation with visible light, you must apply an IR/UV "hot mirror filter" to the lens in use.
These can be readily purchased from several vendors I have several sizes available for HALF PRICE.

b) For Infrared photography, you must apply a suitable IR filter to the lens, depending on what IR wavelength cutoff desired.
I have had pretty good results with cheapo chinese filters listed on EBAY.

c) WIDE OPEN (NO FILTER ON LENS) yields interesting astrophotography, although widely different wavelenths can yield different focus points,. An "H-alpha +visible" filter give terrific results on nebula, etc.

see: Full Spectrum Cameras :: Spencers Camera

Asking Price
1,495.00 USD PRICE DROP to $1469 in recognition of a similar drop in retail pricing,
Item: don't forget sales tax savings
Item: the spectral conversion cost $425+shipping
item: includes original box, battery, charger whatever else I can find to throw in
item: body only, does not include lens.

Item Location
Orange County, CA (United States)

Item Description
Pentax K-1 with full spectrum modification by Spencer Camera. Also has internal cooling modification for lower noise during long exposures. Sensor will record Infrared through visible to ultraviolet. Can be used as ordinary camera with hot melt filters, or select bands with external lens filters. I have some filters for sale at very good prices.

Camera is rarely used, with about 4000 shutter actuations. Excellent condition except one scratch on body,

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
North America

Shipping Charge
free ground shipping, insurance $20

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal or bank Check/Money Order; provided that buyer and seller both exchange verifiable contact information. Seller will accept mediation by third-party escrow providing buyer pays fees,.

CHANGE: Return Policy & Additional Details
This is a lot of money, and the buyer should feel confident in the transaction. On the other hand, I am not a dealer and cannot fund long term returns. I will give the buyer 24 hours after receipt to run the camera through its paces.Within that period, the buyer may return the camera for a refund for any reason, provided: (1) it is returned in the same good working condition rceeived, and (2) buyer pays outgoing shipping, and pays return shipping 2nd day air or better, with insurance. Seller will refund purchase price less above with 24 hours of receipt and verification of package,

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-N950U  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-N950U  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-N950U  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-N950U  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-N950U  Photo 

Last edited by rcolman; 02-01-2018 at 12:05 PM. Reason: more liberal return policy
01-24-2018, 06:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 44 (100%)
Forgive me, what is a hot melt filter?
01-24-2018, 06:52 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Forgive me, what is a hot melt filter?
Duke’s mayonnaise on a well grilled pimento cheese sandwich?
01-24-2018, 07:08 PM   #4

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
They likely meant a hot mirror filter. Although I’m a little fuzzy on why it’s called that.

06 - UV/IR Hot-Mirror Filters - On-Lens. :: Spencers Camera

01-25-2018, 06:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Do you have any lenses made out of optical material other than glass? If using lenses made out of glass, most of the infra-red spectrum will be filtered out, except for the near infra-red wavelengths.
01-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
I see a lot of IR photos on the internet and most of them seem to be made with lenses with glass elements.
01-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Do you have any lenses made out of optical material other than glass? If using lenses made out of glass, most of the infra-red spectrum will be filtered out, except for the near infra-red wavelengths.
There is glass and then there is glass. IR sensitivity is limited by silicon based sensor not the glass, UV sensitivity requires quartz glass lenses.

01-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 46 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote

I have an IR modded K-01. I use the same glass we all use for visible light photography and they work just dandily.
01-26-2018, 06:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Silicon-based glass is opaque to infrared wavelengths 2.5 to 14.0 micrometres. It transmits infrared wavelengths between 0.7 and 2.5 micrometres.
01-26-2018, 07:15 PM - 2 Likes   #10

Feedback Score: 8 (100%)
Original Poster
I don't understand this discussion? Are we talking about government mind control Ray's or something? How many of you are infrared photographers, astrophotograph ers, etc. These are established technologies with some great photographs out there. The K-1 us a great platform for these interest.
02-01-2018, 06:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 23 (100%)
I don't understand all the discussion also ? This is a commonplace conversion , why all the hoopla ? If anyone wants to start a discussion thread and discuss the various conversions , it would be best to start a regular Post in the K-1 forum.....separate from the FOR SALE section........................BUMP

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 02-01-2018 at 06:49 AM.
02-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #12

Interested

I'm interested in buying
02-01-2018, 06:32 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 27 (100%)
This would be amazing for astrophotography. Also, yes, I have a full spectrum K-01 that was done by Spencers and I know darn good and well that even 950nm IR works great with it using my normal lenses. I do recommend focusing in LV when you do IR shots though.