Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
For Sale or Trade: SMC Takumar 15mm F/3.5
Listed: 11-11-2019, 07:50 AM Total Price: 700 Currency: EUR Item Location: Poland City or State: Warsaw Shipping Destinations: Europe Only 

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
SMC Takumar 15mm F/3.5

Asking Price
700.00 EUR

Item Location
Warsaw (Poland)

Item Description
Hello everyone,

As the centenary of Asahi Optical is right around the corner, I thought that maybe someone would be interested in vintage equipment from the golden years of Pentax.

First comes the only rectilinear 15mm UWA prime made in M42 screwmount, co-designed with Zeiss 15mm F/3.5 Takumar. This quite compact lens was offered in two versions - one, very limited in numbers, follows the original design and includes hand-grinded aspherical element, second has all elements spherical. Spherical design lens has also been released for Contax, Rollei QBM and Leitz R system, as Distagon and Super-Elmar 15mm 3.5.

Aspherical version, according to the generally accepted wisdom, has '4' ft mark on the distance scale. As you can see, this is exactly the case here.

I used that lens sporadically on analog Spotmatic F. Truth to be told, I wasn't particularly impressed by it on K-1. Center and midframe is sharp enough even wide open, but past that resolution is disappointing; even at F/11 it has some 'glow' towards edges and corners. It also is quite prone to flaring, which I guess isn't a surprise with such bulbous front element.

That said, this lens has a lot of historical value, and while not the best on modern high-res digital full frame, it is one of the crown jewels of Asahi Optical and a fruit of their brief cooperation with another maker of top-notch optics, Zeiss Oberkochen.

This particular sample I'd describe as excellent condition. It wasn't used much by me, and it seems by other previous owners as well. Not many marks of use on outer body; some faint signs of the slide-on metal cap left on the built-in lens shade, and the auto-man switch has some wear on it. Mechanically works as pretty much any other Takumar - focus ring is smooth and well dampened, aperture ring clicks with the right resistance. Aperture closes without delays. Open-aperture metering on Spotmatic F works as well.

Front glass doesn't show much of use (which is a bit surprising, seeing how easy it is to hit it while putting the metal lens cap on...) except a few dust particles here and there. Neither has the rear glass, but looking at it angled in a backlight, one can see sort of a small mark that's difficult for me to describe. It seems to be somewhere past the rear element, so I cannot blow it off with the lens blower. I managed to snatch a picture of it with a macro lens (sorry about the quality, it was the best I could do).

To sum up, a pretty fine specimen for a lover of vintage glass and history of the brand. Includes both caps. Unfortunately, no case.

Open to offers, including trade. Prefer payments by bank transfer, but PayPal is possible as well.

Cheers

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling or Trading

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Europe Only

Shipping Charge
Depends on destination

Shipping Services
DHL, DPD

Accepted Payment Types
Other (Elaborate)

Return Policy & Additional Details
It's a private sale of used, vintage item, and by the laws of the EU I'm not obliged to accept returns. That said, if the buyer finds some terrible flaw that contradicts the description in an undeniable way, we'll work something out.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images

Last edited by BarneyL; 01-04-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Views: 2,096
11-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 106 (100%)
I am lucky enough to own one of these
Even if it is not a great performer by todays standards it is a beautiful lens.
11-18-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
Original Poster
Bump
12-01-2019, 06:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
December bump. Price now includes tracked & insured shipping in the EU.

12-04-2019, 02:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bump with new price - 750 EUR including shipping within EU
12-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bumpy
12-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yet another discount - 725 EUR including shipping within EU Happy holidays!
12-27-2019, 09:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bump...

01-04-2020, 01:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
New year's bump, and the final price reduction. Shipping within EU included.
01-19-2020, 01:46 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bump bump bump
02-01-2020, 08:28 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Still available!
02-11-2020, 02:52 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bump!
02-25-2020, 03:01 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bump... open to offers. Not fond of going to eBay with this, but I might have to...
02-25-2020, 05:29 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
You've mentioned glow and softness - have you inspected the lens for balsam separation?

My experience of a K15/3.5 was poor due to separation. I found the lens was a stunner on the edges but shocking down the centre. Looking at the glass proved why - there was separation in the middle of the element.
02-25-2020, 05:35 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Didn't make any specific checks for separation; only that 'mark' mentioned caught my eye. Anyway, this copy is good in the center and midframe, just the corners are lacking.

I think I'll just make some samples and include them in the listing.