PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX

Asking Price
180.00 USD

Item Location
Alexandria, VA (United States)

Item Description
I finally acquired a FA 31mm limited lens after many years of lusting after it. I think I held off for so long in part because I had a very good substitute, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX (not the newer “Art” version that reportedly has some auto focusing issues). I can’t justify holding onto the Sigma prime now that I have the FA 31, even though it is a faster lens at f/1.4, renders bokeh beautifully and produces a fantastic 3-D effect in some cases. An outstanding “normal” walk around prime lens for APS-C cameras that excels in low light situations.

The lens is in excellent cosmetic and optical condition. Very sharp. No fungus, never been dropped, aperture blades are snappy, autofocuses quickly and accurately on my K-50 and K-01. Comes with original lens hood, original Sigma front cap and rear Pentax caps, and Sigma carrying case. Sorry I don’t have the original product box. And for those of you familiar with this model, this is the “smooth barrel” black finish, not the crinkle finish type.

Asking $180 shipped.

Photos of the lens below as well as some samples from it.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
North America

Shipping Charge
Included in price (for CONUS); $10 more for Canada and Mexico destinations

Shipping Services
USPS Priority Mail

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
No returns please

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

01-06-2020, 08:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 26 (100%)
Original Poster
Monday morning bump for an awesome, fast, and super sharp prime lens. You can't get a wider aperture at this focal length (or wider) and at this price point! A wonderful indoor lens and for low light (and no flash allowed) places like inside museums. Some say it's a "poor man's" 31mm and given the price difference between the two, and the slight optical differences, I have to say that's an accurate characterization. Read the excellent user reviews here: Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
01-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
Free bump with this question: Did you ever use this 30/1.4 to do any video on your K-01? If so, what was your experience? You're welcome to send me a message instead of responding on this thread if you'd like. Thanks!
01-09-2020, 03:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX

Thanks for your question. I did not use this lens for video on my K-01 or K-50 for that matter. In fact, I rarely use my Pentax K-mount cameras for any video shooting. So I sadly cannot speak to its video use capabilities, though obviously I note that f/1.4 will let in plenty of light for video applications.

QuoteOriginally posted by Reality_Check Quote
Free bump with this question: Did you ever use this 30/1.4 to do any video on your K-01? If so, what was your experience? You're welcome to send me a message instead of responding on this thread if you'd like. Thanks!

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 01-09-2020 at 05:41 PM.
01-13-2020, 06:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Bump for this wonderful fast prime!
01-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still stalking this thread...with another question/bump.
Is the Auto-focus on this lens very loud? I currently have the 40/2.8 XS and that sucker is quick to focus, but it's pretty audible.
01-13-2020, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Still stalking this thread...with another question/bump.
Is the Auto-focus on this lens very loud? I currently have the 40/2.8 XS and that sucker is quick to focus, but it's pretty audible.
I don't think the autofocus is too loud, about in line with most screw drive lenses I think. (I seem to recall that some users believe the 40/2.8 XS is particularly loud to autofocus).

Here is a short YouTube clip I just shot of the lens, attached to my KP, focusing first in live view mode and second with through the viewfinder. This shows how swiftly the lens focuses indoors, under medium artificial lighting conditions.

Thanks for your continued interest/questions/bumps, and stalk away!

01-13-2020, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is one of the quickest, most helpful answers to a question I've ever asked on any forum on the interwebs. Thank you! Awesome people here on the Pentax Forums!
01-13-2020, 03:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That is one of the quickest, most helpful answers to a question I've ever asked on any forum on the interwebs. Thank you! Awesome people here on the Pentax Forums!
My pleasure! Send me a PM if/when you want to proceed on the transaction. It's a great lens and a great value!