Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
For Sale: Rare Pentax LX Clock / Watch Data Back - Data LX in Box
Listed: 03-11-2021, 02:10 PM Total Price: 200 Currency: USD Item Location: United States City or State: Utah Shipping Destinations: Worldwide 

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Rare Pentax LX Clock / Watch Data Back - Data LX in Box
200 USD

Item Location
Utah (United States)

Item Description
Selling a spare Pentax LX Data Back from my personal collection - This is the rare version with the watch / clock or notes options (comes with both). In original box (no foam insert), this will be a great addition to any collection.

With new batteries installed, battery check light lights up. Not film tested. Box shows some wear.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
At cost

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Only if not as described

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images

Last edited by rosettaquarrier; 05-02-2021 at 10:06 AM.
Views: 1,401
03-14-2021, 08:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 66 (100%)
Original Poster
Sunday Bump!!
03-20-2021, 10:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Weekend Bump!
03-22-2021, 08:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bump and reduced

04-07-2021, 07:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bump and further reduction
04-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sunday Bump
04-18-2021, 08:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bump and reduced
04-19-2021, 01:53 PM   #8

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
What is this product?I am unable to understand it.

04-19-2021, 04:44 PM   #9

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by brainwave Quote
What is this product?I am unable to understand it.

I cosign this...

It seems like a wildly interesting pentartifact, but am also unsure as to the function.

Might not be for you or myself, but am implicating myself in this thread to learn about it!
04-19-2021, 05:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 49 (100%)
You can take photos with the time in the corner. There's a replacement film door for the camera. That has a small flash unit, a mounting place for the watch and an ASA dial to match the flash power to the film sensitivity. The watch has its own bayonet mount so you can wind and set it without changing your setup.

This is the LX version. There was an MX version as well, which is the one that I used. I'm not sure about the LX, but the MX had a "special" camera, with a small flag that stuck out into the frame. Then the clock display showed up in that blocked corner on your exposure. The flag could be rotated out of the frame so you could use the camera for normal shooting. You would want a regular back because the flash unit makes looking through the VF annoying. I don't know how the flag works on the LX, but a bit of tape would work just as well. I can't recall if mine had the notes option.

I bought my MX on eBay maybe 15 years ago as the only bidder. I don't think the seller knew what it was. I kept the lens and sold the camera to a collector.
04-20-2021, 08:57 AM   #11

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
You can take photos with the time in the corner. There's a replacement film door for the camera. That has a small flash unit, a mounting place for the watch and an ASA dial to match the flash power to the film sensitivity. The watch has its own bayonet mount so you can wind and set it without changing your setup.

This is the LX version. There was an MX version as well, which is the one that I used. I'm not sure about the LX, but the MX had a "special" camera, with a small flag that stuck out into the frame. Then the clock display showed up in that blocked corner on your exposure. The flag could be rotated out of the frame so you could use the camera for normal shooting. You would want a regular back because the flash unit makes looking through the VF annoying. I don't know how the flag works on the LX, but a bit of tape would work just as well. I can't recall if mine had the notes option.

I bought my MX on eBay maybe 15 years ago as the only bidder. I don't think the seller knew what it was. I kept the lens and sold the camera to a collector.
Fascinating, thank you for the info!
04-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks - It works just like the MX version.

There is the option of the clock face or the face to write notes on.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote

04-20-2021, 09:40 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 26 (100%)
more info

QuoteQuote:
A surprise offering is the Watch Data LX for specialized information encoding. The Watch Data LX imprints a clock face directly on the corner of the photograph to display the month, hour, minute and second the picture is taken. Additional information can be written in by hand on the central ground glass portion of the face.

If more space for handwritten data is needed, a clock face with larger center blank space is available (The central portion of the watch itself provides a ground glass portion where it can be penciled). Like the Dial Data LX, Watch Data LX requires no sync cord, and information is sharply imprinted even during high-speed shooting. Watch Data LX is ideal for specialized scientific like biomedical, time lapse and other professional work. Three settings are provided for B/W film (ASA 100, 200 & 400) and only one setting is provided for color film (ASA 160). A single 6 volt, Alkaline or Silver Oxide battery will powered to provided built-in confirmation LED and battery condition.

But the most interesting among the few options available is the Film Blind. It is not a Databack, it is a built-in feature! But works along with the Clock Data Back mentioned above, I heard someone has been using this feature to imprint data with a way developed himself, but can't remember when and where I kept the papers.

Basically, it works in conjunction with the Watch Databack. Well, for Dial Data LX, the film blind NEED NOT to be lowered. Since the Watch Data needs a blind to block out a section for recording purposes, you need to lower this special film blind for the recording. Before taking pictures with the Watch Databack, open the camera, turn the small thumb wheel by using your finger
Pentax LX - Databack Options
04-20-2021, 10:31 PM   #14

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
QuoteOriginally posted by rosettaquarrier Quote
Thanks - It works just like the MX version.

There is the option of the clock face or the face to write notes on.
Write notes that are inscribed into the image?!
04-21-2021, 03:06 AM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 26 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by brainwave Quote
Write notes that are inscribed into the image?!

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-21-2021 at 03:14 AM.