PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Tokina AT-X 90/2.5 Macro - The Bokina!

Asking Price
300.00 USD

Item Location
Seattle, WA (United States)

Item Description
My personal, Tokina 90/2.5 Macro lens. Comes with the multiplier that brings it to 1:1 magnification. It comes with the original caps and case and I don't see any issues with the glass or barrel, other than it is a vintage manual focus lens.

The MF feel is astonishing. The bokah is worth the legend and this lens really lives up to the hype. I bought this private sale from an old local. I used to have a bit of a macro lens obsession and collected way too many. I just bought a K3iii and need to reclaim some of my photography budget and I'm going to limit myself to one macro lens and have decided to keep the D-FA 100 WR that I also picked up locally on account of the same obsession.

Feel free to ask question. I have taken some photos with this lens that I could point you to, you could search for things I've posted with this tag, or I'm happy to take new ones for you.

I don't ship lenses USPS after a bad experience, but will ship promptly via FedEx or UPS and if you let me know how urgently you want to receive it, we can negotiate some shared shipping cost.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge
Negotiable

Shipping Services
UPS or FedEx

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
I value my reputation on Pentax Forums. If not as advertised, will accept return. I would appreciate committed buyers who don't try to return for 2nd thoughts.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

---------- Post added 07-07-21 at 03:23 PM ----------

I'm gradually posting some other lenses and can combine shipping.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
07-08-2021, 07:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 27 (100%)
Nice... I thought the Bokina was made by vivitar...
Would like to see more pics from it if possible.

Does that lens has a PK or PKA mount (with contacts) ?
07-08-2021, 08:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 14 (100%)
Original Poster
They are the same optical formula, so there is a Vivitar version, but the term "Bokina" is derived from "Tokina...with bokah". Regardless it's a fantastic macro, portrait lens and telephoto prime.

It is a K-Mount. I'm happy to take whatever photos of or with it that you like. What would you like to see?
07-08-2021, 08:30 AM - 3 Likes   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 69 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Nice... I thought the Bokina was made by vivitar...

there was a version marketed by Vivitar, but there is some discussion as to whether or not that was actually a Tokina lens...

this, however, is an absolute monster of a lens - I love my copy of it....

(glws)

07-08-2021, 01:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote

this, however, is an absolute monster of a lens - I love my copy of it....

(glws)
Thank you and I agree and will likely regret it, but it's what we do.

I priced it on the low side of what these tend to go for. I recall paying about $100 more than this, which I can write off as a multi-year rental. Someone will be thrilled with the photos they take with this lens.
07-11-2021, 05:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Still available. You know you want...no you know you NEED it.
09-06-2021, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
I’m not personally interested but this deserves a bump if still unsold. Despite its age, my copy is easily one of my finest lenses (and I have many fine lenses). I’m just busy copying old 9x12cm negative plates and at that magnification ratio it beats my copies of the Voigtlander Macro Apo-Lanthar 125mm F2.5 SL, all three Pentax 100mm F 2.8 Macro versions I tested (A, FA and D FA WR), the extremely fine D FA 50mm F2.8 Macro, the Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro, and is at least on a par with the Schneider Apo-Componon HM 90mm F4.5 that I just acquired. Get your copy while you can!

09-12-2021, 04:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the bump. Somehow, no takers yet.
09-17-2021, 09:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 91 (100%)
PM sent
11-08-2021, 07:25 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 5 (100%)
Troika, would like very much to view any close up/Macro images you have taken with this lens.

Many thanks,

Tonytee
11-09-2021, 02:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Troika, would like very much to view any close up/Macro images you have taken with this lens.

Many thanks,

Tonytee
Sure, Tony. Let me see if I can find some or I can take some fresh ones. It's a beautiful lens the handling of it is one of these "I think I might actually be a photographer" experiences.
11-09-2021, 04:27 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 5 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Sure, Tony. Let me see if I can find some or I can take some fresh ones. It's a beautiful lens the handling of it is one of these "I think I might actually be a photographer" experiences.
Well, just as long as it does not come dangerously close to giving the impression that I almost know what I am doing.

Thnx,

Tonytee
11-09-2021, 04:59 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I took some new photos and I'm happy to take more, just let me know, but you should all know that the more I shoot with this lens, the less I want to part with it. I really wish that modern lenses had this build quality.

It is winter in Seattle and our weather sucks as does the lighting in my house, but these are quick, close focus and macro photos of things that were in the middle of my day anyway. I've added them to a small Flickr album I had for this lens.

I don't think that I nailed exposure or focus on all of these, but hopefully they give you some sense of the lens.

The first 3 were all taken using the extender and were at or close to 1:1 macro. Terrible basement lighting, though.

This Klipsch badge is about 3/4" x 1 1/4"

The rest of these photos were taken without the adapter, which is how I used this lens most of the time. It makes it 1:2 macro, which for most of what I did is plenty.

Same photo with a heavy crop. Harsh lighting.

But of course, this lens is known for being more than just a macro lens. Jilly did not consent to this portrait, but I told her it was for the greater good.
This photo was hand-held wide open and f2.5 and I let this ISO run up to 5000. It's a little under-exposed, but I didn't want to post process it, aside from a slight straightening crop.

Less beautiful, but more compliant model for which to show creamy bokah

I could probably find a figurine or something if you are looking for something else, just let me know. I need a break in the rain, so that I can take the tripod outside and get a natural light shot.