PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
200mm SMCA macro SALE PENDING AS OF 9:30PM OCTOBER 22

Asking Price
1000.00 USD

Item Location
Massachusetts (United States)

Item Description
DO NOT JUMP!!! This is an old lens that I purchased "pre-owned" in the early 1990's. It was scruffy when I first got it, and has gotten scruffier since. There are many blemishes and signs of wear on the barrel, focusing ring, knobs etc. BUT SFAIK and so far as I can see the glass is in excellent condition, no scratches, no haze, no internal dust. The curious marks near the filter threads at about 8 o'clock are reflections of a multi-bulb LED light. The Diaphragm blades are dry, no oil, and operate like new.

This is ABSOLUTELY NOT a pristine lens such as offered by Japanese sellers on EBAY which is why I'm offering it for about half what those sellers ask. It is not a "collector's lens." This lens should be used regularly. It looks sad, but it is a great macro. I've converted to MFT and now use a Zeiss Milvus 100mm F2 Canon mount via adapter. The 200mm Pentax has not been used for two years, and it should be used not just sitting in my dry cabinet for the sake of nostalgia.

LOOK CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU OFFER TO BUY. Purchase this lens to take pictures, not to admire it.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Fair

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge
$10

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
30 days for full refund, buyer pays return shipping

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 10-22-2021 at 06:28 PM.
10-22-2021, 12:56 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 36 (100%)
What's the condition of the mount?
10-22-2021, 04:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
What's the condition of the mount?

The tripod foot is very sturdy. A knob of one side holds it on so it can be removed. It comes off as a half-moon piece, not a full circular collar. The symmetrical knob on the other side locks the rotation. The thread is fine, so lock-down is easy and tight provided you turn the knob enough. If you look at the base of the tripod foot you will see holes fore and aft of the central threaded hole (1/4 X 20). These are "video pin" holes THAT SHOULD BE REQUIRED BY LAW ON ALL TRIPOD FEET. Some quick-release plates have a video pin, commonly but not always spring mounted, that fits into this hole and precludes rotation of the plate on the tripod foot with absolute, 100% certainty. Before Arca-Swiss came along I used quick release plates some of which had a video pin, I had one on this lens for decades and the plate never twisted on the tripod foot. The tripod-mounted receiver for that plate was much quicker to use than any Arca-Swiss style clamp.

BTW: The overhang of the pentaprism on every DSLR strikes one or other of the two knobs on the tripod collar of this lens, preventing rotation to vertical. I used the shortest extension tube in a set to get around this (will include it with the lens). It prevents the lens from focusing to infinity, but I only used the lens for macro so that was not a problem.

BTW: There is a ghostly outline of the square quick-release plate visible in the image of the bottom of the tripod socket (second image).

Last edited by WPRESTO; 10-22-2021 at 04:49 AM.
10-22-2021, 05:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 44 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The tripod foot is very sturdy.
The question about the mount may be about the lens Mount itself.

10-22-2021, 05:29 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 36 (100%)
Yes, please comment on, or provide pictures of, the lens mount. Thanks.
10-22-2021, 06:42 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Yes, please comment on, or provide pictures of, the lens mount. Thanks.
OK, will do so before the end of the day, BTW I will be away all day tomorrow (Saturday 23rd) so I will not be available then to answer questions then..

BTW: You can see that much of the scruffiness on the barrel seems to be some kind of clear, lacquer-like coating that is peeling off. The lens was in that condition when I purchased it as far as I can remember. I do not recall seeing another lens with deterioration of the finish that looked quite that way. Perhaps others have.
10-22-2021, 10:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 27 (100%)
tempting...
I like it's for sale for "field usage", and not for admiring it

10-22-2021, 11:02 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have added five images of the camera mount. I also tested the lens on my K3. It fits snugly but there is the tiniest bit of twist possible which probably indicates the receptor hole on the lens for the locking pin is slightly worn. I tested changing the aperture with the ring at "A" = works as it should. I also set the camera for "enable aperture ring" and ran through from f4 to f32 and again the communication lens to camera was correct, so all of the electronic contacts align and operate correctly. Looks like I should have spent some time cleaning dust from the flocking around the mount as well as on the aperture ring. Must attend to that.
10-22-2021, 02:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 28 (100%)
One of my favorite macro lenses of all time...and I've owned lots including the FA*200. This A* is surprisingly small (compared to the FA*) and shoots gorgeous macro with that A* color rendition that is in all the A*'s I've ever owned.