Pentax D FA 150-450

Asking Price
1,000.00 USD

Item Location
Québec (Canada)

Item Description
LOTS of information here:

Detailed information about this lens:
This lens was bought brand new by my daughter a couple of years ago (3 years?) at The Camera Store (Calgary, Alberta - Canada).
She was using it with her K3.
The infamous "F _ _ _ " appeared on the top camera LCD, indicating some problem with the "connection" between the lens and the camera. With some "wiggling", she could nonetheless make that disappear and resume shooting with it.
She later reported the problem to the store and brought the lens to them for inspection.
The people at the store contacted Ricoh service and were told that they do not make repairs for models in Canada and the lens had to be shipped to Japan!! ($150.00 non-refundable fee).
That was in August 2019. The lens was shipped to Japan.
Note that she had earlier reported the “problem” to me and I had posted a thread about that here:

Connecting ring trouble - D FA 150-450 lens ... too heavy? What to do next ? - PentaxForums.com

They finally got a response from Ricoh in Japan: "they are quoting $1512.17 for the necessary service (cover frame, zoom mechanism, mount) this also includes the $150.00 shipping"
There were NO problems with the zoom when it was shipped from Calgary!
Because of the high costs, my daughter decided to have the lens sent back to her and forget about "fixing" it.
The lens was received from Japan ... September 2, 2020!!!!
Being so pissed off with the service/reply from Japan, my daughter decided to sell all of her Pentax gear and move to a Nikon system instead.
This lens is now in my hands.
I received it a couple of weeks ago and proceeded with some testing:

* Added on November 18, 2021: there is a "nick" on the filter thread element. Just found out from a member here. See post no. 11 below.

The lens does NOT make that "F_ _ _" appear at all on both my K3 and my K5.
I've tried wiggling it to reproduce the problem but it just works fine.
The AF buttons also work well.
The zoom is fine too.
New: Apparent problem with the tripod foot "angle" and "wiggling". As per posts in thread
on November 13, 2021.

My "opinion" is that it was likely a problem with my daughter’s K3 camera itself (connection to the lens) that was faulty because, as I mentioned earlier, I cannot reproduce the "problem".
Lens condition:
No box ... No pouch.
There are some scuff marks on the lens and it has some wear on the knob to the tripod foot. The tripod foot wiggles a bit but is secure. The optical elements are fine.

Here is a link to Flickr for test pictures taken with both my K3 and K5 at different focal lengths:
Natimages' collections on Flickr
This link should work; if not, please let me know.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Very good

Shipping Destinations
North America

Shipping Charge
Canada: 65.00 USA: 75.00

Shipping Services
Canada Post - Insured

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
This lens is fully functional here.
I will consider a return only upon proper proof that this lens is unusable because of the (now impossible to reproduce here) “F _ _ _” as explained in details.
Since I will ship this lens insured for a minimum of $1000 USD, I will expect any return with the same insured value and that the buyer carries all shipping costs.
I will allow a 10 days "testing" the lens after which the sale will be considered completed.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

---------- Post added 11-12-21 at 02:01 PM ----------

If the links provided above do not work, please go here:

Connecting ring trouble - D FA 150-450 lens ... too heavy? What to do next ? - PentaxForums.com

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G950W  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-E2  Photo 

Last edited by jpzk; 11-19-2021 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Price changed
11-12-2021, 02:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 19 (100%)
It looks like the tripod foot is not parallel with the lens barrel. Is that a problem?
11-12-2021, 04:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 32 (100%)
Original Poster
Indeed there is a bit of an angle there ... I had not noticed it.

As far as I am concerned, that did not affect the taking of the pictures.
There is a very slight "wiggle" there ... maybe 1mm or so, vertically.

That is certainly not a major issue.
11-13-2021, 06:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 27 (100%)
the angle which the tripod foot isnt parallel to the lens, is rather acute.
Not too sure what resulted in that.

Had a look at my 150-450, and while it isn't perfectly parallel, isn't that acute.

I'm actually always quite worried about the tripod foot of this lens.
It is like, kind of fragile.

11-13-2021, 07:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
Is there a Canadian price?
11-13-2021, 08:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
the angle which the tripod foot isnt parallel to the lens, is rather acute.
Not too sure what resulted in that.

Had a look at my 150-450, and while it isn't perfectly parallel, isn't that acute.

I'm actually always quite worried about the tripod foot of this lens.
It is like, kind of fragile.
Well ... are these tripod feet available somewhere?
I am willing to look it up and try to find a replacement. The only thing is that I'd be worried about the price of such item.
which would likely to be high, knowing what Pentax "accessories" sell for.

---------- Post added 11-13-21 at 10:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
is there a canadian price?
usd $

Last edited by jpzk; 11-13-2021 at 09:13 AM.
11-13-2021, 09:13 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i am actually awaiting the update from the local distributor where i am, on how much that particular piece of thing cost

(had also asked them about the one for DA* 60-250, and also the rear filter holder for DA560)

They should be getting back to me by this coming Friday. (They have already gotten back to me on the price of the rear filter holder for DA560. If anyone might be interested, do PM me. More than happy to help get it).

Cuz i want to get an extra as a back-up, in case something goes wrong.

Problem with Pentax's design is, if it is the detachable portion (the "foot") that goes wrong, one can buy a replacement.

But if it is any part of that rotating portion (the "collar") that goes wrong, suspect it is going to be a huge outlay as will need to send it to Japan.

The one on your 150-450, based on what's seen in the images, i can't figure out what or where exactly is "wrong". Just that it definitely looks odd and something isn't right.

11-13-2021, 09:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
NOTE: I added this "problem" with the tripod foot in the "Item Description" above.

---------- Post added 11-13-21 at 11:17 AM ----------

i am actually awaiting the update from the local distributor where i am, on how much that particular piece of thing cost

(had also asked them about the one for DA* 60-250, and also the rear filter holder for DA560)

They should be getting back to me by this coming Friday. (They have already gotten back to me on the price of the rear filter holder for DA560. If anyone might be interested, do PM me. More than happy to help get it).

Cuz i want to get an extra as a back-up, in case something goes wrong.

Problem with Pentax's design is, if it is the detachable portion (the "foot") that goes wrong, one can buy a replacement.

But if it is any part of that rotating portion (the "collar") that goes wrong, suspect it is going to be a huge outlay as will need to send it to Japan.

The one on your 150-450, based on what's seen in the images, i can't figure out what or where exactly is "wrong". Just that it definitely looks odd and something isn't right.
Thanks for the input.
We shall see how this goes and if you have any further info regarding this "foot"/rotating portion.
Trying to be completely "transparent" here!

---------- Post added 11-13-21 at 11:46 AM ----------

Further note regarding the tripod foot:

For those who are worried about this "issue":
I have started to make inquiries about the cost of replacing it .... awaiting feedback.
Cheers!

Update: so far, this: https://www.adorama.com/ipxotm80tm.html?

Last edited by jpzk; 11-13-2021 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added info
11-18-2021, 09:43 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bump for today.
Don't be shy for asking for more info.
BTW, this lens still works fine (for taking pictures, of course!)
11-18-2021, 10:04 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 8 (100%)
From the photo of the front element, it looks like the filter thread has a dent or is at least out of round. Can you confirm?
11-18-2021, 04:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cdw2000 Quote
From the photo of the front element, it looks like the filter thread has a dent or is at least out of round. Can you confirm?
Yes, unfortunately !
Honestly, something that I did not see when I received the lens. My bad !
Here is a close up picture of that thread element .
I will include this in the detailed description and thank you for making me aware of this.

Now, I don't have a filter of that size here, so I would assume that it would not fit because of the "nick" ... I cannot confirm that though.

---------- Post added 11-18-21 at 06:53 PM ----------

Because of the newly found "incident" on the filter thread element, I am reducing the price down by USD $200.00.
Thank you for the observation, cdw2000.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G950W  Photo 

Last edited by jpzk; 11-18-2021 at 04:54 PM.
11-18-2021, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
It looks as though the tripod foot mount is not properly attached to the barrel.
Mine came loose, and I think a few others as well.
It is a simple task to remove the tripod foot from the mount and check if the 4 screws are firm. I used a very small amount of thread lock on mine and never had any trouble since.

Cheers,
Terry
11-18-2021, 08:30 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

was also wondering, is there a little teeny weeny dent on it (the part the green arrow pointing at).

And whether possible to view the condition of that side of the lens hood (the portion the second green arrow pointing at).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-E2  Photo 
11-19-2021, 08:51 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
It looks as though the tripod foot mount is not properly attached to the barrel.
Mine came loose, and I think a few others as well.
It is a simple task to remove the tripod foot from the mount and check if the 4 screws are firm. I used a very small amount of thread lock on mine and never had any trouble since.

Cheers,
Terry
Thanks for the input.
I hate having to mess around with anything "technical" .

---------- Post added 11-19-21 at 10:56 AM ----------

was also wondering, is there a little teeny weeny dent on it (the part the green arrow pointing at).

And whether possible to view the condition of that side of the lens hood (the portion the second green arrow pointing at).
Well ... there is a small scratch as seen on your first picture as well as on the lens hood, as per your observation.
This is not a brand new nor a "like new" lens and I'm sure you are aware of this.
Looks like you have quite a talent for discovering many things about this lens.
Also, as a reminder, I will ship only within North America.

Thanks again for the input ... appreciated.

Last edited by jpzk; 11-19-2021 at 09:00 AM.
11-19-2021, 11:38 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Here is a link to Flickr for test pictures taken with both my K3 and K5 at different focal lengths:
This link should work; if not, please let me know.
Salut,
Link goes to the list of your collections on flickr... can't see any specific collectoin or album about this lens...